Question about Trimax SM-2500 and FTA signals for ultra portable operation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fta_man001

Original poster
Jul 10, 2012
Southeastern USA
Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum. I would like some advice on receiving FTA (clear) signals via a very portable setup. Basically, I was thinking about using an Trimax SM-2500 and a VuQube (ultra-portable motorized antenna) to view occasional channels like PBS, EWTN, some "local" network channels (spotbeamed), etc. I plan on traveling throughout the southern US via RV or Van, and therefore I want an extremely portable, robust solution. Basically, I want to power everything via 12-volt battery packs.

A couple of questions: 1) Is the VuQube's motorized antenna compatible with the SM-2500? 2) I don't mind manually finding a bird. Am I better off with a portable Winegard dish (like the GM-MP1)? Obviously, this second choice is a lot less expensive. In terms of the LNB's for both the VuQube or Winegard portable units, are these LNBs suitable for FTA usage? Or are they specifically tailored for the big corporations (DTV and DISH)?

Has anyone ever tried this kind of setup before? Again, space and power and huge factors here. I am not interested in watching this for hours like a TV set. Rather, I am interested in seeing an occasional 15-30 minute news broadcast or talk show, etc.

Any additional commentary or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :)
Unless you have the trimax already, don't do that. Too small of a screen. Limited reception capabilties. Get a GeoSat Pro microHD receiver(smaller than the trimax runs on 12v and cheaper) Then get a little 7" or 10" flat panel portable cheap.

The VuQube is only for Dish/Direct/Bell. The unit will not tune FTA linear satellites.

Ultra portable?

12vdc 15" flat screen with HDMI inputs - $135
MicroHD - 12VDC,DVR and HD! - $125
Winegard 31" dish with PA speaker stand $110

About as small as it will get for mobile FTA....

Thanks for the advice. No, I don't have either a Trimax or a VuQube yet. I am just brainstorming right now. Do you know if the GeoSat Pro Micro receiver will work correctly with a VuQube? Or, alternatively, do you think I should go with a manual dish (like the ultra portable Winegard model)? I have even seen some 7" HDMI-equipped LCD screens that run on AA batteries (as well as a 12 volt cig plug) so that option seems like a more palatable alternative.

What are your thoughts?

Hi SatelliteAV.

I just saw your post after I posted my reply. So VuQube is probably not the right direction for me then. I want to explore the FTA universe, and I am not particularly interested in a subscription. Thanks for the clarification regarding the VuQube. I don't know if I want to go as large as a 31" dish though. That would add a lot more weight and space. Although, I do understand that that the larger dishes will obviously be able to yield a better signal strength.

Interesting food for thought. Thanks.

VuQube only receives circular polarity high power satellites used by Dish Network, DirecTV and Bell. The VuQube is not compatible to receive FTA channels. You need a minimum dish size of 30 inches to reliably receive most FTA channels.

Why go FTA satellite? Digital TV provides great service. I have a portable TiVax HiRez 9" HD DTV that runs 4 or 5 hours on an internal battery and has very good tuner for local over the air channels. If you just want to catch the news and you are near a city, this might be the $79 answer....

Also hook the monitor up to the microHD for a portable dish aiming meter... Like I don't have enough meters! LOL!

The VuCube is heavier and less sturdy than the 39" GeosatPRO for $89 (i think) off ebay. I NOW travel with an old Primstar 75E and it is totally rugged and about the same weight as the VuCVube. The Primstar can be tied to my ladder without any problem.

The winegard may be ok, but the GeosatPro has side braces (I do not remember if the Winegard does, but you need them when RVing). I took the braces and LNB arm off and fastened with a bungee cord to a piece of 1" (2 1/2 ' by 3 +') plywood with carriage bolts mounted to catch the base. A couple foam pads kept everything cushioned. Used that about 32,000 miles. I also like the fully adjustable wall mount. I used a speaker stand for PART of one trip (and after 3 or 4 hazard trips - NEVER AGAIN!)

I will be building up another set up like that as soon as MY microHD arrives and will document with pictures.

The compact portable dishes sold at Camping World, etc for Dish and 'FTA' are not suitable for FTA linear signals. Save yourself A LOT of grief. The dishes I mentioned catch the signal quickly (by comparison). I helped a fellow traveler in Casa Grande, AZ set up a 30" dish. Mine locked in less than 8 minutes - his took me almost 40. I have set up from Langley, BC, south to San Diego, then East to CC TX and on to Orlando FL, up to TN then meandering NW through GA, IL, NE, ND, MT, ID and home (39 states on our map). I carry 1-50', 1-25',3-10' and 1-6' RG6 cables plus about 10 barrel connectors. I also carry a cable making connector kit, but have not used it on the road for myself for 3 years.

One other thing! I am frugal.... $ time Energy. I have all my bolts and nuts replaced and use 1/4 -20 hardware = 2 combination box / open end wrenches and a 1/4 drive socket are all I have to carry and spray painted them red and blue so they show up where ever I drop them! (7/16th I think).

Last edited:
The VuQube is only for Dish/Direct/Bell. The unit will not tune FTA linear satellites.

Ultra portable?

12vdc 15" flat screen with HDMI inputs - $135
MicroHD - 12VDC,DVR and HD! - $125
Winegard 31" dish with PA speaker stand $110

About as small as it will get for mobile FTA....
16" HD LCD/LED TV multi inputs $99 @ Fred Meyer Includes a 12VDC car cord. Draws less than 750 mw at comfortable volume.
Ebay Special deal dish $89 shipped with PLL LNBF
microHD for $125 Less than 2A (I think less than1 amp) runs on 12VDC -- this part designed for RV1POP!

Brian does not plug his items, but I will.

If boondocking, OTA may not be an option, especially without a bigger antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)