OTHER Question about using a Directv Satellite Dish with a FTA reciever.

Pay no attention to Signal Intensity meter reading when aiming the dish. That meter reading only indicates that you are connected to a LNBF that is powered on. It does not indicate you are pointed at a satellite. You could point the dish at the ground and get a signal intensity meter reading.

Pay attention only to the Signal Quality meter reading. This SQ meter reading will indicate when you are pointed at a satellite if:

1. The LNBF skew rotation is properly set for the target satellite. See www.dishpointer.com

2 You have selected an active transponder from the transponder list for the target satellite that you are trying to locate. See www.sathit.com for a list of active transponders for each satellite.

3. Have the correct LNB type and LO frequency set properly in the receiver's install menu for the target satellite. See the specs for the LNBF.

Your LNBF is a universal LNB type. The lnb LO setting in your meter must be set for Universal with LO 9750 / 10600.
Ok, Thank you. How do I adjust the LNBF skew?

Put the original LNBF back on the dish and make a template (cardboard, foil or other material) that will allow you to place the new LNBF center of the throat opening at the exact position, height from the arm, distance from the reflector and angle into the reflector. Install the new LNBF so that the center of the feedhorn cap is at the EXACT position as the original DirecTV. Rotate the LNBF skew in the clamp to match the skew angle provided for the target satellite on www.dishpointer.com.

Put the original LNBF back on the dish and make a template (cardboard, foil or other material) that will allow you to place the new LNBF center of the throat opening at the exact position, height from the arm, distance from the reflector and angle into the reflector. Install the new LNBF so that the center of the feedhorn cap is at the EXACT position as the original DirecTV. Rotate the LNBF skew in the clamp to match the skew angle provided for the target satellite on www.dishpointer.com.

Ok, Thank you. I will try that out.

I tried it out & the signal quality is still at 0%. According to Dishpointer, I have too many obstacles to the South of me & that I need to have the dish about, at least, 9ft off of the ground.

I also found out that, according to this website, that the satellite dish has to, at least, be mounted to a vertically upright pole. The pole I am currently using doesn't quite fit the base, a well as the mount on the back of the dish as well. Also, the ground under the base is not perfectly flat. As a result of all of this, the dish leans quite a bit. I think I might need to get a LNB bracket as well. What kind of bracket could I get to use on the dish (DirecTV Slimline dish.)

What kind of bracket could I get to use on the dish (DirecTV Slimline dish.)
There are no commercial solutions or "happy accident will-fits" to mounting a linear LNB to a Slimline. Some have done as well as can be expected by shimming and bending up a universal mount.

It is imperative (as Titanium stated in post #45) that the linear LNB horn be at the same general location (and at the same angle to the feed arm) that the original DIRECTV LNB assembly was or the LNB won't be where the signal is being focused. This can further compromise a solution that is already suffering from being marginal due to the reflector size (lack thereof really).

There is a relatively small element (less than an inch long) inside the feed horn that needs to pick up all the signal it can get and that can't happen if the element isn't at the focus of the dish.

I'm still not able to get anything. There is a hill, some buildings & trees to the South of me that may be blocking the signals. I can't get the signal quality meter to register anything. I've tried raising the dish above 9ft & it still won't work. It could be that the pole & stand that I am using are not stable enough.

Also, I am wondering, what is the cheapest C\Ku band dish there is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)