Question concerning Florida

jdn74

Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Missouri
I hope this is the correct forum to post this message in...
I am wanting to go to some of the areas hit by the hurricane and help people get their TV back. I hear that there is just too much work for all of the local businesses to handle and would like to help out. I just plan on servicing the dishes that were knocked out of alignment and or replacing the dish altogether depending on the nature of the damage. The question is, do I need any special licensing particular to Florida to do any business there and if so what? Is there any type of service license I would need or a license to sell a replacement dish? Thanks.

Coming down here to try to sell replacement dishes/charge for reaiming, in my opinion is not a good idea. Alot of the people have more important things to worry about, like their houses, cars, etc. I understand that you are trying to help the people out, but they are already seeing an increase of people coming down to try to take advantage of the people in need. (I am not saying you are one of them)

If you wanted to come down here to donate your time to help people in need, such as reaming the dishes for free, I would contact the red cross relief society.

Please don't take my post the wrong way, but they are trying to keep non essential people out of the area.

I'm not talking about going into the hard hit areas where they have no roof left - we're talking about houses that are still standing and people who want their TV back. The people I'm talking about ARE worried about it, otherwise I wouldn't have had some email correspondence from retailers telling me how swamped they are with service calls and turning work down because they can't handle the work load. Thanks for the response, however it doesn't answer my question. I don't want this post to turn into something its not supposed to be - lets stick to the topic please.

I agree with korsjs, it would be better to not go down unless you are going to do it at no charge, and then only with the blessing of the city fathers. Because of a few very bad people (scum) even the most well meaning contractors are getting a bad name. I considered sending some (security) equipment down to local law enforcement at below dealer cost but found that local security company's were able to handle all of the needs and in some cases free of charge. I am happy so say that my industry is doing all it can.

Thanks Ken, I tried to say it as nicely as I could without offending the above. I am not accusing the above of being a bad person, but their are other priorities ahead of satellite tv.

OH brother - sorry for posting. I will definately go elsewhere for answers that actually address my f***ing question. I guess I didn't realize that some moron was going to think I would be going to where the eye of the hurricane was. I've had plenty of service calls here after a bad storm for someone to come and realign the dish and didn't want it done for free just because mother nature was having a bad day. I was thinking of going more like 30-60 miles out from where the eye was - where damage was more minimal, but I guess no one here gets it and thinks I'm going into a full fledged red cross/martial law disaster area. Either way the question was do I need a license or not?! Obviously, no one who is responding to me can read or comprehend my very simple question. If you have an answer, give it - if not SAVE YOUR BREATH! It is my business where I want to go, when I want to go - I didn't ask for advice on whether I should go or not - I already have someone who is willing to share the work load to please their customers and service them in a timely fashion instead of "oh well, we can't get to you until December." I thought maybe I'd get expertise in the sat biz on what I'll need - and instead I'm getting expertise in "we don't want your kind around here." FINE. I keep forgetting why I don't like forums - now I remember the negativity you get when posting just about anything. Thought maybe this forum was different - guess not! I'm not against voicing your opinion, but I didn't ask for it. Have a happy day - I will not be back for you to have one more person to nit pick at.

JDSN, By your reply I am thankful you will not be back. We tried to be as nice as possible but you still could not handle it.

jdn

first off...we do not like that attitude around here. They are trying to help and you criticize them? Your first post say "I am wanting to go to some of the areas hit by the hurricane and help people get their TV back." I took it as "I want to go where the hurricane hit and try to help them get their TV back. Then the wording kept expanding, now up to 60 miles way from where it hit the hardest.

We are trying to help here. You asked a question and some people answered. It may not be the answer you want, but you don't have to criticize people.

I take offense to somebody posting a message on this board that in anyway puts down its members. I recently had D* installed and have been shocked by how nice and helpful the members of this board have been(iceberg and neutron especially). Every question I have had has been answered quickly and respectfully...so much so that I come back to this board frequently to see if I may be of assistance to anyone. JDNS...YOU ASKED A QUESTION AND YOU GOT AN HONEST ANSWER. IF YOU WEREN'T SOME SLEAZY SCUMBAG ATTEMPTING TO CAPITALIZE ON THE MISERY OF OTHERS THAN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN AS DEFENSIVE S YOU WERE. Please do not come back.

gluck75 said:
I take offense to somebody posting a message on this board that in anyway puts down its members. I recently had D* installed and have been shocked by how nice and helpful the members of this board have been(iceberg and neutron especially). Every question I have had has been answered quickly and respectfully...so much so that I come back to this board frequently to see if I may be of assistance to anyone. JDNS...YOU ASKED A QUESTION AND YOU GOT AN HONEST ANSWER. IF YOU WEREN'T SOME SLEAZY SCUMBAG ATTEMPTING TO CAPITALIZE ON THE MISERY OF OTHERS THAN YOU WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN AS DEFENSIVE S YOU WERE. Please do not come back.

Thank you for the nice words you have said about myself and Iceberg. We try to help as much as we can on this forum. That's what makes this site the best satellite forum on the web! Too bad our friend here can't see that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts