Question for 922 gurus

cincyguy2k4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I was wondering if anyone else has their local channels periodically having problems on the 922.

This is referring to the Sat feeds, not an OTA module issue. I know of one other 922 owner with the exact same issue.

Every now and then our local channels will say the sat signal was lost. If you do a quick check switch, the local channels come right back. This was happening a lot for a while, seemed to have cleared up, but recently started doing it again.

Thanks a ton everyone.

Never had one problem with my 922, including that. They did just release new software this week so hopefully that may have fixed it but the update notes have not been released.

Haven't seen that problem on the 922. I was having that problem on my tailgate setup on a 722k last year and it turned out to be a bad LNBF that was going out. Replace that and it is all good. Also, what are your signal strengths on the satellite and transponder in question? Maybe you need a repoint?

lakebum431 said:
Haven't seen that problem on the 922. I was having that problem on my tailgate setup on a 722k last year and it turned out to be a bad LNBF that was going out. Replace that and it is all good. Also, what are your signal strengths on the satellite and transponder in question? Maybe you need a repoint?

His problem is with OTA...

Do you know what satellite your locals are broadcast from? You may need to realign the dish to optimize the signal for all satellites, especially your locals. If you can PM your account number to me I can check your account for you. Thanks.

I've seen a bug on other receivers (622 and 612) where a signal loss alert appears AFTER the signal returns. The message contains some text to the effect that Dish knows of the problem and to not contact them. Only happens on local channels received off satellite. You need to change channels to clear the message.

I am considering changing from the 722 to the 922. Can some one tell me if the 922 functions just like the 722?

I have the home distribution out put of the 722 going into a splitter that feeds 3 other tv's. Is this possible with the 922? I have also read
that the 922 has problems with the remote 2........in that the range is not that good. FInally......what would be the advantage
of waiting until the 813 receiver became available?

Boy you got some reading to do. The 922 does NOT function exactly like the 722. Read any of the threads in this forum and you will find that out. The 922 has a higher $10.00 dvr fee, the sling feature does NOT work as well as the 722k +sling adapter. It DOES have nicer hd guide with channel logos, graphics, menus and all the shows have nice box work art like a movie . You at present can NOT do BlockBuster movie pass streaming with the 922 yet or the 612 unit either. You also can NOT do manual timers or DISH PASS over the 922 receiver, only over DISH online can you set those timers. The 922 DOES have a larger internal hard drive and you can use 500gb for your recordings and DISH uses the other 500gb for their Recorded Vod. Does Tv 2 or dual mode like the 722/722k does ,but didn't when first launched. Some like the 922 and some don't. I had one and did not like the way it was limited at the time for basic features the 722k had. I traded it back in for a new 722k ,like I had before. As for waiting for the 813, I would if I was you and you wanted true whole house dvr for up to 4 tvs in your house. It will be based on the same menus , guide ,channel logos etc as the 922 has today except on built in SLING features. Don't know how much they will charge for it, but I'm betting that there will be a $10.00 dvr fee on this unit too and possibly charge for each 110 unit needed to get hd in other tvs in your house. I don't see DISH passing on another fee that they can create. After all I think Charlie has never met a FEE that he hasn't liked, to charge us.

doesn't seem like the 922 is as advanced as the 722. As of now, I do not use the internet features, so that isn't a concern, but no manual timers & a higher fee
will change my thinking

doesn't seem like the 922 is as advanced as the 722. As of now, I do not use the internet features, so that isn't a concern, but no manual timers & a higher fee
will change my thinking

Well if thats your opinion, how long do you think it will take for the XIP set of recievers to get caught up? The 922 has been out for 1 1/2 years...So I think its funny that so many are waiting with baited breath, like those will come out on time and bug free? DOE....I dont see it happening for years....Thats my opinion on the upcomming.

Well if thats your opinion, how long do you think it will take for the XIP set of recievers to get caught up? The 922 has been out for 1 1/2 years...So I think its funny that so many are waiting with baited breath, like those will come out on time and bug free? DOE....I dont see it happening for years....Thats my opinion on the upcomming.

I don't think anyone expects it to come out bug-free. BUT it is going to be based on the 922 software, as opposed to the 922 whose software was built from scratch. So...less buggy than the 922 at launch. We hope.

Seems to be the case, but I don't understand why they don't use a common code base for all their DVRs. Do you?

I've said for years that DISH should just use one set of dvrs , one set of standard receivers and lose the rest. I don't see why we need to have new receivers with new software built from the ground up ,not to mention supporting all the older receivers going back to the start of the company in 96. I think it would be nice to have one basic dvr that they add features to either with Software tweaks and or modules that can be added to enhance the experience. I thought the VIP series 622-722k was that very model ,but they started all over again with the 922 ,which is still having growing pains. I can only compare it to the way the 501/508/510 receivers worked and they released the 721 then the 921 PVRs. They were based on Linux software and they operated differently than the menus and guides etc in the 500 series of receivers. Then they completely ended those and released the VIP series that up to the 922 was pretty rock solid. I only hope that the 813 will be more up to speed and released better than the 922 was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)