Question for Dish Internet Response Team (DIRT)

dishnet_tech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
NE United States
Was wondering if any of you can share information or shed light on some of the content found in Menu-6-1-3-Counters screens. Any diagnostic or otherwise useful information for a field tech for troubleshooting purposes? The obvious are the hi/avg/low temps and lost recvr locks, but there seems to be alot of other information there as well.

Was wondering if any of you can share information or shed light on some of the content found in Menu-6-1-3-Counters screens. Any diagnostic or otherwise useful information for a field tech for troubleshooting purposes? The obvious are the hi/avg/low temps and lost recvr locks, but there seems to be alot of other information there as well.

Assume you are a DISH tech from your monicker have you tried getting information from your employer?

I'm not too sure what the counters information mean, but some of it does look useful, and I'll see if I can find out any other info.

We used to use the information in menu-6-1-3-details to help identify receiver problems such as power issues, HDD failure. Example: on a 625, if value 7 listed anything other than -4 (I think) next to it, the HDD was bad (probably would get the 311 popup). Other than that, we stopped using that information because the values differed on receivers, so there were a lot of unnecessary RA's that were created.

I'm not too sure what the counters information mean, but some of it does look useful, and I'll see if I can find out any other info.

We used to use the information in menu-6-1-3-details to help identify receiver problems such as power issues, HDD failure. Example: on a 625, if value 7 listed anything other than -4 (I think) next to it, the HDD was bad (probably would get the 311 popup). Other than that, we stopped using that information because the values differed on receivers, so there were a lot of unnecessary RA's that were created.

Yes, we were provided with a list of what those values were supposed to mean, but like you said we don't use them because a lot of unnecessary receiver replacements occurred. Not very reliable.

My "go to" person isn't in today, but I'll be sure to ask tomorrow. Chances are he'll have a better idea of what they're used for, or if they can be used to get beneficial info.

It is menu+6+3 for the counters button. (Menu+6+1+3 is for signal levels on dish as a summary.)
In menu+6+3 use page up/down to various pages. It has temperatures, a potentially useful guide.
It has the last file system check Unix fsck date. It should not be more than a day old or it is time to reboot.
It has the last and next Dish call time. If there is no phone/internet these could get out of date for PPV, etc.
It has the household key, which will change when you get a hit to get sync with an EHD. More.
Easiest reboot is front panel button behind right-hand door.
Without getting up, you can change update time in Menu+8+4 and after the reboot change it back.
-Ken

Other than what's obvious, it doesn't seem like there's any "hidden" information in menu-6-3-counters. I'm waiting on some more info to be sent to me, but will probably be a few days.

Hopper in Home & RV?

My current Dish account includes a VIP722 and two 211ks in my house. I purchased a Hopper and two Joeys for sole use in my RV only to find out that I can't use them there. I've been told by an installer and by Dish that I can't have VIPs & Hopper/Joeys on the same account. (Is there a legal reason to do this? Or is this a Dish rule?) Anyway, two local Dish installers I've talked to will not install customer-owned equipment. So, my only option seems to be that I cancel my Dish account and connect my house to the local Time Warner cable. Then re-start the account with the Hopper/Joeys in the RV without the help of a Dish installer. I'd like to keep Dish on both my house & RV and have an installer activate my Hopper & Joeys. Suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)