Question for Lak7 and qwert1515

Status
Please reply by conversation.

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
This is a little off topic but i figured you guys might be able to answer my question :) I am going from Pensacola FL here to LAX in 2 weeks. Planning on renting a car and driving south through the OC and all as a personal vacation. After reading this I wonder if i need to reschedule. I know it never rains over there and up to 30 inches on the mountains could make for some crazy mud and flooding huh? Also i hear people cant drive in SoCal when it rains. Going to visit in those conditions would be like coming to visit here during a small hurricane. Just a waste of a trip I would think. Any advise?

Local Weather Alert for Newport Beach, CA - weather.com

lak7 lives in the Midwest.....are you thinking of Anole?
I know Anole & pro96 live out in Southern Cali

Yup oops, I did mean Anole, how did i screw that I up, i just double checked qwert and anole's locations on their posts. Im a dummy.

Ollie,

Pardon me for jumping in, but I live in OC, too. Forecast for the heavy rains is primarily for this coming Monday, tapering off, then another storm Thursday and tapering off until it clears out Saturday. So, by next weekend, the rains will be gone. Beyond that timeframe, it's anybody's guess what the weather will be like. Will there still be muddy conditions in the mountains a week later? Probably. Will there be flooding along the coast? Probably, but only locally, and the waters should reced back to normal by the time you arrive in 2 weeks. If you were coming this weekend or next I'd be leery, but in two weeks, we'll all have forgotten this storm and there should be no impact to your sightseeing.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. YMMV, of course.
___
Neil

It looks like there is rain predicted for the whole of next week :( ,
but there have been many cases where rain was predicted and it never made it here. Today it is gloomy.
If it rains, usually the first rains are when there are driving issues.
After the rains go away it might be gloomy, will gloomy weather affect your visit?

You didn't say where you were actually going on your sight seeing.
In the best case, if you don't stray too far off the freeways, it's unlikely you'd even know there had been a problem.
Now, if you were intending to go hiking in the hills, that might be a different story.

Orac's advice above is pretty good.
Just keep an eye on the conditions here; I doubt there's more than 5% chance you'd be inconvenienced.

PS: I grew up in Florida, and I've BEEN in hurricanes, there.
So Cal has no parallel! :)

Thanks for the info.

I plan on just seeing all the sights. Start with the hollywood sign and go south from there and just see if everything is as cool as it looks on TV. hehe

Gloomy would kind of piss me off because it has been gloomy here all winter. But it is what it is.

You know . . . We film the Miami TV shows here....
My buddy's girlfriend is the Park's Director from the beach they shoot CSI Miami on.

... so, just for your visit (and the filming), we'll be sure to turn on the big lamps for ya, and roll back the clouds!
In Hollywood, magic is our business! - :up - :D

You -did- see the rose parade didn't you? . . . :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.