Question for Mastec Installation Technicians

Status
Please reply by conversation.

k514vh2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
Are any of you out there? You caught me, I am not a guy :). My husband actually works for Mastec in FL and I had a few questions about what has been recently happening to him.

He started there about 6 months ago and after two months was told he was promoted to a regular tech. Obviously, his pay was supposed to raise with this promotion. (He is on piecework, as I assume most others are) About a month ago, his supervisor approached him mentioning that he thought that my husband was not a regular tech yet for some reason. Common sense says the supervisor should have called corporate and took care of it immediately, as my husband requested that he did. After hounding two supervisors for about a month he was once again told he was not a regular techncian. Fast forward to now, it still is not fixed! He could have lost thousands of dollars off his pay, as this was a 4 month period. He signed paperwork for this 4 months ago and continues to ask his supervisor about the paperwork and always gets the same run around. So far, we have most likely lost several thousand dollars, and the supervisors have mentioned that he will most likely not receive that money back.....:(

On to another issue......Is my husband the only Mastec Installer who works a schedule of 11 days straight with 1 day off??? He has a friend in another location who works 5 days on 2 days off and I am seriously wondering what is going on with that. He gets 4 days off a month and his schedule is as follows - 11 days on , 1 day off, 3 days on, 1 day off, 11 days on, 1 day off ect ect ..... Is this normal? He is absolutely exhausted and often gets home around 7 or 8 at night, sometimes as late as 10PM.

He has mentioned this to both supervisors as well for about two months now, and has yet to receive a response. He asked for 6 days on, 2 days off, which was originally offered to them but others voted for this current schedule for some CRAZY reason.

Nothing ever gets resolved at his current office. He loves his job and the pay, but hates the fact that management does nothing! What do we do? Our marriage is falling apart because of it, but jobs are so limited in this area, especially for the type of money he makes. I am 7 months pregnant and can no longer handle the stress of never seeing my husband and taking care of the house and our 2 year old daughter all by myself. He is an excellent employee and should honestly be a lead tech for all that he knows and does. Sorry if this was posted in the wrong area. I am just looking for support, answers, or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

B

Are any of you out there? You caught me, I am not a guy :). My husband actually works for Mastec in FL and I had a few questions about what has been recently happening to him.

He started there about 6 months ago and after two months was told he was promoted to a regular tech. Obviously, his pay was supposed to raise with this promotion. (He is on piecework, as I assume most others are) About a month ago, his supervisor approached him mentioning that he thought that my husband was not a regular tech yet for some reason. Common sense says the supervisor should have called corporate and took care of it immediately, as my husband requested that he did. After hounding two supervisors for about a month he was once again told he was not a regular techncian. Fast forward to now, it still is not fixed! He could have lost thousands of dollars off his pay, as this was a 4 month period. He signed paperwork for this 4 months ago and continues to ask his supervisor about the paperwork and always gets the same run around. So far, we have most likely lost several thousand dollars, and the supervisors have mentioned that he will most likely not receive that money back.....:(

On to another issue......Is my husband the only Mastec Installer who works a schedule of 11 days straight with 1 day off??? He has a friend in another location who works 5 days on 2 days off and I am seriously wondering what is going on with that. He gets 4 days off a month and his schedule is as follows - 11 days on , 1 day off, 3 days on, 1 day off, 11 days on, 1 day off ect ect ..... Is this normal? He is absolutely exhausted and often gets home around 7 or 8 at night, sometimes as late as 10PM.

He has mentioned this to both supervisors as well for about two months now, and has yet to receive a response. He asked for 6 days on, 2 days off, which was originally offered to them but others voted for this current schedule for some CRAZY reason.

Nothing ever gets resolved at his current office. He loves his job and the pay, but hates the fact that management does nothing! What do we do? Our marriage is falling apart because of it, but jobs are so limited in this area, especially for the type of money he makes. I am 7 months pregnant and can no longer handle the stress of never seeing my husband and taking care of the house and our 2 year old daughter all by myself. He is an excellent employee and should honestly be a lead tech for all that he knows and does. Sorry if this was posted in the wrong area. I am just looking for support, answers, or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

B

Time to go over Sup head and call Corporate office. Typical Mastec bullsh@#.
Cheat the tech as much as they can.
Tell your Hubby to call home office and speak to Barry Holmes.

Begin looking around. Either his MASTEC managers are trying to get him to quit because if he stays he will eventually out work them OR his MASTEC managers think they can continue to load him down and he will be OK with this. Threatening to quit never works. Make your plan and go. Try DISH. Try the phone companies. Consider Home Theater. Apply to local power companies.

Some companies use employees to advance the company and the employees. MASTEC just spends people and advertises for more. There i always someone willing to work for less.

Joe

My husband makes about 1200.00 biweekly, which is pretty good because they pay for gas, vechicle ect. But he also works 20 hours plus overtime a week! He is still an apprentice tech as far as pay goes, so I guess that is pretty good. Regardless, it's because he works his butt off and pulls 4-6 jobs a day. He thinks they might actually believe he is a threat to their jobs. He is different, and thinks different if that makes sense. If you have ever met a person like him, they are very rare. He knows things without experiencing or learning them, kwim? He is so talented that it just blows my mind that others can't see it. I mean, I guess it's hard to explain on a resume or in a 30 minute interview. It's just frustrating because he is working so much and getting so little in terms of support from the company. His location is the ONLY location that is a union, and it seems like the union is doing nothing for them. Everyone keeps saying the union will pull through, but I feel like its all bull. Mastec even recently had a national raise and their location didn't get it! Barry thought all employees were on a 6 day work week and was shocked when my husband told him his schedule. They really are trying to pull something over there, but I hope it comes back to bite them real soon.

Last edited:
It doesn't work that way,

You call in some suite and guess what. He will get results. Heads will roll and asses will be kissed. But unless the suite plans to relocate from problem to problem things will eventually settle down.

And then the fun begins. Think windshield time between jobs and charge backs.

Run!

Joe

First thing I would do is get the f**k away from mastec or any hsp for that matter. I first started with mastec and found out how dirty they play it is best to become an independant installer we make more money but our cost are out of our pockets. a good place to look for thses jos are at cablebar.com they have a place in the site for techs looking for work. what ever happened with the lawsuit going on in fla with the mastec employees. this is just my two cents worth

alright first off, your husband should be paying for his vehicle (40 a week ) but im not hating, i got away with for over 6 months. Heres the deal, im pretty sure ur hubby is being dicked around just like the rest of us techs at mastec. especially in fl. im out of jax and i must say, its worst than it seems. as far as raises go, it takes at least a month for a raise to actually go through. he'll know when he gets his backups if he gets em. (Backups is proof of jobs that he got paid for and way to dispute any chargebacks or missing pay and shows what he gets paid even for the 2 weeks). working 11 days straight is alot of work, i refuse to work that damn hard and im a lead tech, hell i got suspended for not working sunday after almost 2 months of notice to my sup. all i can say is keep stepping on their toes even if it hurts them. as long as his numbers are good (completion rate, non-responders, write-ups and so forth) then their should be no issue. it took me almost 7 months from date of hire to get my lead tech pay. whats even funny is that their are guys that have been there longer than me and are still regular techs....

by the way, my office is on a 5 day work week and no overtime!!!!! yea just started last week. its the holidays man, time for local offices to stick it to the techs again, just remember to bring extra jelly..lol

lol i would not go back to mastec for anything all they do is take your money by backcharging you all the time !
get with afs cttv we are taking mastec down!!

ccdish take down any company? that is the funniest thing i have ever heard. the only way that cc dish will accomplish that is by continuing with thier current practice of not paying for completed jobs because they were "not in report". and not paying anyone for service calls on someone elses job. i know, i know........."just resubmit it, so we can drag this out for as long as it takes for you to go somewhere else because no matter how many times you resubmit, we will not pay you." oh yeah! i almost forgot.....NOT! an office manager and his field supervisor brother who shall remain nameless, will further promote goodwill for ccdish by doing side jobs under someone elses tech number. hmmmm.........

I just dont really get it I mean there doesnt really seem to be any installation company out there that is a really good one that takes care of its guys and so on!! I keep reading horror story after horror story
about company's screwing over there techs and I mean people on here wonder why they get the service that they get I mean when you spend all your time hiring people that will maybe stay with you 3 to 6 months I mean then all you have are new guys out there and of course your gonna get these nightmares that occure!! I just dont see why either of the dir or dis wont step in hmm ohh cause they are to busy screwing over the other people sheeeesh

Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the replies. So far, the VP went in on Thursday and checked everything out. She was there for two days at his home office location, but we won't know what happened until Friday (When head of HR gets back in his office) I have a feeling we won't be seeing that money..... :( He does pay for Van too. His deductions from his paycheck near $500.00 each time, which kills us. Most is taxes, usually $150 of it is chargebacks which is COMPLETELY CRAZY. I still can't believe the system they have for charge backs. We live in a senior citizen community where many don't even know how to work their remote controls. His quality's are always great, so it doesn't match up with all these charge backs. It's like he never actually worked! I dunno what we are going to do. We will most likely stick it out. He again asked his supervisor for paperwork stating he was a regular tech 4 1/2 month ago and guess what he gets!!?? BRAND NEW PAPERWORK with a promotion effective date for the 10th of November! Ughh....He asked why and the supervisor had no response. How in the world do these guys make management? :eek:

I'm back with more!

Oh guys, the drama continues. We got his paycheck today for him being on the new "no unlimited overtime schedule" and it was WAY LOW. So, Apprentice Techs aren't allowed to do business installs. A few days after he became a regular technician he was finally given his first business install. It was a huge job too. So he gets his backup sheet that says he DID NOT get paid for this huge business install. Why? Because on his payroll sheet they put his effective date for becoming a regular technician effective for the 17th of November, when he had done the install just days before and HAS the paperwork showing he was a regular technician effective November 10th. So now we are about $150.00 short on this paycheck right before Christmas. The VP and all the head execs have been literally ignoring his calls for weeks now, even though they were the ones who promised to get everything in order. The "Union" also came out here talking about how much they could do for the guys at his location, yet nothing has been done. This new work week is really hurting the guys. One guy even brought home $480.00 for a two week pay period! Ours was a little better, but no where near the money he used to bring home. Now, it's not even worth it anymore. Not sure what we plan on doing but I doubt in involves staying with Mastec much longer.......

Does anyone have any good things to say about Mastec? I was offered a position and I have read nothing but bad things about the company. Any suggestions on good companies to work for in this field?

Any time a union comes into a shop of any sorts the employee's get hurt in the pocket book. For a union to be effective it has to go into more than one or two shops otherwise mastec can just as easily change some numbers around and close the shop as being unprofitable and open up a new one the next town over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts