Question for SatAV re Fortec Star Lifetime NA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dougbrown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Southern WI
I read in a different thread that SatAV was the North American provider for parts (& Repairs ?) for Fortec Star. I have a Lifetime NA that I've been having problems with the remote. I have checked the remote itself with my cell phone camera and it seems to be working. In addition I had been able to move the IR sensor on the front display panel and get it working but only for limited times. I purchased a replacement sensor from Radio Shack, only to find that I had the wrong thing. Looking at their web site I found this 38kHz Infrared (IR) Receiver Module - RadioShack.com which looks like what I have on my device. But I wanted to verify that it was correct 38khz? before I picked one up.
Thanks
Doug

The part is a Focus FHP-4052H. Maybe someone can take this information and provide additional research or cross reference.

Sorry, but I do not have the specs of the part.

Brian, here are a couple of pics of the board in question. I'm sorry that they are not better quality. Thanks for everything.
Doug
IM001925.JPG

IM001927.JPG

Oh by the way, the Radio Shack 38kHz is not the correct frequency....:(

last resort:

You might try to replace the module with individual components.
It may take an oscilloscope to check 'n see that you have the correct bias on the IR detector diode or transistor.
(assuming it's not got an integrated amplifier)
A lot of such modules are little more than an IR light-sensitive transistor.
I thought the Radio Shack unit had a receive amplifier....?

Or, as a last resort, you might keep an eye out for a spare receiver of the same type.
Even one with a dead power supply or blown front end might offer the part / board you need.

Alternately, it could be time to look for another popular SD brand.
Certainly a used Coolsat 6000 (as example) would be inexpensive.
Even consider moving up to a late model HD receiver.

edit:
I just re-read your post for more ideas -
I have checked the remote itself with my cell phone camera and it seems to be working.
In addition I had been able to move the IR sensor on the front display panel and get it working but only for limited times.
Could you expand on this a bit? - "move the IR sensor"?
Did you check the wiring and connector that plugs the front panel board into the receiver board?

Last edited:
Richard, I was able for a while to give the sensor a slight push or wiggle it a bit and things would work, but only for an hour or so. Other than this problem I have really enjoyed this Fortec, more so than the CS6K I think. And I know that other than the remote issue it works fine, just recently recorded the Paqiao fight a couple of weeks ago using it. Brian is going to check and see if he has a spare used circuit board for the front panel in his parts bin. But heck, this is like two receivers in a year, not a very appealing life span. :(

another troubleshooting technique:

I thought N0QBH had it pegged with his idea of re-flowing the solder connections! - :up

Let's say you get it going.
Leave the lid off and run it 'till it fails.
Now, wiggle the wires between front panel board and receiver board, with something insulated.
I recommend a dry chopstick.
They're typically bamboo, and make great insulated tools for working on live circuits. - :cool:

Hopefully, the open lid will prevent a temperature-related problem.
To go the extra mile, have a fan blowing on the receiver board during testing.

Double check that any screws which may ground the board to the chassis, are firmly in place.
Noise could cause interference to the electrical signal from the IR sensor.
A ground strap (some woven braid) between the boards might help.

In the same vein, it's possible noise from the power supply is causing the trouble.
See the power supply board, and look for bulging filter capacitors or ones with brown spillage at their base.
(not to be confused with a glue to hold the caps in place)

Some extra 0.1 ?fd ceramic bypass capacitors may be helpful on the remote display board.
However, that's reaching for straws... - :rolleyes:

And, did I mention trying another remote?
Maybe a universal, a learning remote, or a spare?
It could put out an IR beam your camera can see, and still be flaky!
Start with fresh alkaline batteries, not ni-cad nor ni-Mh. !

Had a similar problem with mine and resetting back to factory resolved my problem, i also thought it was remote or sensor, as it was working one sec and next nothing, then would work a minute and so on. maybe worth a try.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)