Question for the experts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rhodemaster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Rhode Island
Folks, this is a great forum. I'm thinking of jumping in and making this my new hobby. The knowledge gained from this site has been invaluable. I understand a receiver with "blind search" is the way to go. My question is...could "blind search" also be called by another name? I saw a Samsung DSR 3700 that listed "Auto Search" as a feature and was wondering if this is the same thing. This unit seems to have all the other important features and is very sharp looking. Anyone have any reviews of this receiver? The only unit I've come across that lists "blind search" is the SATWORK ST3688. Any others I'm missing? Thankx Folks. :yes

Pansat 2500A has 'Smart Search' also.

I will be getting several 2500A's in about 10 days for the awesome price of $160.00 each. ($9.00 shipping CON-US ONLY)

(See my sticky offer elsewhere in this forum just for SatelliteGuys.US members.)
See Offer Details Here

If you want to add a Winegard 30" Dish and Std Ku LNB it will be $85 more.

If you want a 30" Dish, Std Ku LNB, and SG2100 Motor then add 160.00 (Plus $40 shipping)

I can't wait to get mine hooked up and pointed at all the 'FREE' TV.

Auto Search and Blind Search are not the same, Auto Search may mean that the search is done from an already stored combination of frequencies and symbol rates and polarity, blind search seaks out the channels not using a prestored list

Pansat uses "Smart Search"
Satworks use "Blind search"

I think Tom is right...auto search would search whatever you program into it. Blind/Smart search finds them :)

Thanks guys. :) This place rocks. I'll be sure to keep you updated as I move forward. (updates wrapped around long winded questions no doubt ;) ) I've had E* and D* and V* and installed the first 2 myself so I feel I've got some background. Those birds are south to southwest from up here in Patriots country. Will I be looking in the same general direction? I checked out lyngsat and getting familiar with that site. Looks like it will be very helpful locating sats.

yes. Most satellites from Patriots country would be SE

Installation isn't bad...you just have to take your time. Tuning in a KU band signal is harder than a DBS signal.

KU you have to slowly move it, wait 2 seconds, then move again

I noticed a ton of Pansat and couple other brands on eBay. I often wonder of the quality of something when bunches and bunches of 'em show up for auction. Are these good units or are they being dumped. I really want a unit with blind search feature so I'm leaning towards the Pansat or the Satwork 3688. Any input would be great. :bow

the pansats are great systems for FTA. the reason there are tons of them on ebay is because they are also the hacking community's receiver of choice. (lets not go there)

Rhodemaster said:
I noticed a ton of Pansat and couple other brands on eBay. I often wonder of the quality of something when bunches and bunches of 'em show up for auction. Are these good units or are they being dumped. I really want a unit with blind search feature so I'm leaning towards the Pansat or the Satwork 3688. Any input would be great. :bow

If you want a 2500, see Mark AR's sticky at the top of this forum :)

I have installed a few Pansats now (legal ones) and they are a nice box, all bells and whistles, but I only have the Satworks, I like them, the 3688 does almost everything the Pansat does, blind scan, DiSEqc 1.2, and its a lot cheaper, the legal software can be updated online and the picture and audio are very respectable for the price, I have seen some going cheap on e-bay and have no idea how they manage to sell them so cheap, maybe they are buying them in bulk, or they are returned units, even the importer I use cant beat those prices, I like to buy from the importer as I know and trust them.

Thankx all for the input. Great stuff.
Iceberg I've seen Marks sticky for the Pansat thankx. I've got to find a new subscription service first having dumped V* 2 weeks ago. This hobby is right up my alley and I will jump in after get up with D* or E*. No ESPN for 2 weeks is killing me. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)