Question for the microbud experts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I currently have a P* 1m dish fixed at g10. My question is, would it be possible to put a c band lnb next to the ku lnb and get anik F1? Or are they too far apart? I would love to get the CTV channels but I don't want to give up the ku on g10 and the dish is too heavy for a motor.

the only ctv affiliate available is ASN on both Anik F1 and Anik f2. The CTV channels shown on lyngsat only show a test pattern.

ASN pretty much shows the CTV programming doesn't it?

I have a 40"X30" P* dish dedicated to Anik F1, and get a decent but not great signal. I think it will be pretty tough to get Anik and G10 on the same 1M dish. That said, up until a few months ago nobody thought you could even get c-band on these dishes.

I'm no expert, but I think you're right about ASN. PSB is the real ASN expert though.

Unfortunately I lost my C-Band LNBF in a recent storm........ I think its now in WI. Got a replacement on the way!

Pretty sure a dish pointing at G-10 will not work for AniK F1 C-Band at the same time : ( (16 deg. apart) But it would not stop me from trying. I would move the dish, find and store ASN, move the dish back to G-10 then see if there is any way to get the ASN channel again by offsetting the C-Band LNBF, you can hold it by hand and see if you get any signal quality on the ASN channel, its one of the best FTA channels "Up there" (IMO)

I'll have to get me a Cband lnb and give it a try. Anybody recommend a decent lnb for a decent price? Can't afford too much right now. I was also thinking that since ASN would be the only channel I would want, I might try Anik F2. Its a little closer (11 deg.).

I use the ASC - 421 C-Band LNBF, works well. If you tie it down well enough :tombstone

Does location impact size requirement of dish for C-band?

Hey folks:

While I am in the process of upgrading my equipment, slowly, but definitely surely, I have been paying a lot of attention to the threads on Micro-BUDding.

While at a local sat dealership here in Miami, I was asking the tech questions regarding my replacement of my current dish, a Hotdish75. I shared with him that several people that I correspond with on this website's forums advised that the larger the dish, the better the gain and signal quality reception.

He told me that it would be pointless here in southern Florida to go with a 1-1.2 meter dish, as the footprint for the KuBand satellites does not require anything larger than 76 centimeters. The tech explained that this is true as a result of our proximity to the satellites being down here in southern Florida, and based upon our corresponding elevation measurements.

Any thoughts if this is true?

Also, if true, any thoughts as to whether I could potentially receive C-band signal with a smaller dish than a 1 - 1.2 meter dish?

greyskies in (not so) sunny South Florida (it's raining again)

greyskies:
I think everyone will tell you that bigger is better. The signal improves exponentially. OF course some satellites have transponders that are powerful enough and work well with smaller dishes, but alot of times signal is transmitted at lower power and that's when your bigger dish will be especially worthwhile.

Also, depending on the satellite, but in most cases Florida is on outer edges of footprints.

As for c-band, again bigger is better. With offset dish gain on 76cm dish is simply not enoughfor any kind of decent c-band reception. Even 120 cm dish is not the perfect solution, but the gain is enough to get reception on quite a feww tranponders.

Also, with c-band beam width is larger and when satellites are close together (like 2 degrees apart) you will see alot of signal spilling over and you can't get a lock because something with similar frequency from the nearby satellite is interfering. 76cm dish has approx. 7.1 degrees beam width on c-band and 120cm dish has around 4.5 degrees.

I'd go for the biggest you can find/afford/have room for/get wife approval for :) . Even if it's overkill, there's always rainfade...

And I'm sure that both you (living in Florida) and I (living in Louisiana) can agree, it rains A LOT :D

newguy, try the Cband LNB as close to the Ku LNB as you can get it.
I had a superb sig strength off Anik with an Invacom and DBS LNB on the feedarm, the Cband LNB isn't too picky where it's situated on dishes this small.

Attachments

• IMG_8869.jpg
    IMG_8869.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 268
Cascade said:
I had a superb sig strength off Anik with an Invacom and DBS LNB on the feedarm, the Cband LNB isn't too picky where it's situated on dishes this small.

I guess I will have to order an ASC - 421 C-Band LNBF from psbsatellite and see what I can get. I do have another question for the C-band people, on AMC4 it list the 4 NBC's as free, can you get those or is it like the CTV and just test patterns? Has anybody tried to get them with a microbud?
I thank everybody for their help, I couldn't do it without you :hatsoff:

newguy said:
I guess I will have to order an ASC - 421 C-Band LNBF from psbsatellite and see what I can get. I do have another question for the C-band people, on AMC4 it list the 4 NBC's as free, can you get those or is it like the CTV and just test patterns? Has anybody tried to get them with a microbud?
I thank everybody for their help, I couldn't do it without you :hatsoff:
The NBC channels are network feeds, lots of the time there is programming on them, sometimes they are just blank screens. I usually watch them in the evening (after 7 EST) to catch the news and a couple of programs.

ASN is not a full time CTV affiliate. ATV is the CTV affiliate in the Atlantic area. (ATV/ASN are owned by CTV). ASN shows very limited CTV product. I believe just Canadian Idol. (not even 100% sure there) To see ASN's fall schedule click below:

http://www.falltvpreview.com/channelinfo.php?id=8

They air different shows like Smallville, Hope & Faith and a few other shows.

greyskies said:
Hey folks:

While I am in the process of upgrading my equipment, slowly, but definitely surely, I have been paying a lot of attention to the threads on Micro-BUDding.

While at a local sat dealership here in Miami, I was asking the tech questions regarding my replacement of my current dish, a Hotdish75. I shared with him that several people that I correspond with on this website's forums advised that the larger the dish, the better the gain and signal quality reception.

He told me that it would be pointless here in southern Florida to go with a 1-1.2 meter dish, as the footprint for the KuBand satellites does not require anything larger than 76 centimeters. The tech explained that this is true as a result of our proximity to the satellites being down here in southern Florida, and based upon our corresponding elevation measurements.

Any thoughts if this is true?

Also, if true, any thoughts as to whether I could potentially receive C-band signal with a smaller dish than a 1 - 1.2 meter dish?

greyskies in (not so) sunny South Florida (it's raining again)

I am testing a 90 cm offset Ku dish & Stab HH100 motor with a C band Chaparrel scalar ring , feed horn , Polorotor & DMS International 15 degree LNB .

Presently tweeked for Galexy 4 .

Get 2 analog C band religious stations pretty strong , only a few sparkles .

Best DVB-S C band I am getting are some test patterns . The orher DVB-S C band channels are pictilizing .

All this does better at night than in the day time .

I tried Galexy 11 , but the dish is not tweeked properly for it .

I am scrounging for one of the 48" PrimeStar dishes , but no luck so far . Found one , but have not been able to catch the people home to try to beg them out of it . :-(

Wyr

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have been having troubble , the signal seems to compleatly dissappear , from time to time & then re-appear .

Going to replace the coax & connectors , over the hollidays .

Also , , anyone know of any problems with the DMS International ASC211 15 degree LNB ?

Thanks ,

Wyr

WyrTwister said:
Have been having troubble , the signal seems to compleatly dissappear , from time to time & then re-appear .

Going to replace the coax & connectors , over the hollidays .

Also , , anyone know of any problems with the DMS International ASC211 15 degree LNB ?

Thanks ,

Wyr

Update :

Last nite I started replacing coax , parts and pieces . Finally , around midnight , I replaced the DMS LNB , last . Picture came back on .

Replaced it with the California Amplifier 30 degree LNB which came with the Chaparrel feed horn , when I bought used from a person on fleabay .

So far , knock on wood , it has been running like the Energizer Bunny , non stop .

This 30 degree LNB has a few more sparkles than the 15 degree LNB , not performing as well on weaker channels , especially DVB-S . But I expected that . That was the reason I bought the 15 degree LNB .

For some reason , the blind scan on C band seems to take much longer , on the Fortec Ultra , than it did on Ku ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

Cascade said:

Cascade, would you mind posting some more pics of your lnbs showing the hardware setup. I am going to work on a similar project later and am looking for as many ideas as possible. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)