Question for those with Samsung DLP's

jyusufi

Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
I am looking into getting a Samsung DLP. I used to work with TV's and they have always been one of the better DLP's. It's been since May since I have worked with TV's but was wondering what people think of the new Samsung DLP's.

At this point I am thinking about getting a 1080p set since the price difference isn't that big to me. I currently own a 720p LG Plasma TV that I have been very very happy with. Play video games on it and have DirecTV connected to it.

I plan on using this Samsung DLP to hook up my PS3 to it and to watch Blu-Ray movies and play videogames. I will probably also move my Xbox 360 from the LG plasma TV and mainly use the plasma TV for viewing sporting events and what not.

So please for those out there with the current Samsung models please give me your opinions on them.

Note, I don't see the rainbow effect so that is no problem for me.

I've had one of the slim line models (4676) for almost a year now and we have been VERY happy with it. The OTA tuner is much better than the tuner in my E* receiver. I do advise buying a sizable UPS to protect against power failures (letting the bulb cool down properly at turn off is important for prolonging bulb life).

I've been trying to get some feed back on the New SAMSUNG LED DLP Tv's. No bulb, brighter picture. I am currently looking at the HL-T6189S model. Seems verys impressive and fantastic picture. But I haven't recieved any first hand feed back on them.

My son got the 720p 50" last christmas and he loves it. We have an older good quality Toshiba rptv 65" and we have fallen in love with the picture from his sammy. NOw we just keep hoping ours will break so we can get a new one!

I bought a 42 inch Samsung DLP for the World Series last year and I love it. The only feature I'd like to see in PIP.

I've had my 50" Samsung DLP for over 3 1/2 years. Great set no problems, had almost 12,000 hrs on my first lamp before I replaced it. Best color balance of any set on the market IMHO.

NightRyder

I am looking into getting a Samsung DLP. I used to work with TV's and they have always been one of the better DLP's. It's been since May since I have worked with TV's but was wondering what people think of the new Samsung DLP's.

At this point I am thinking about getting a 1080p set since the price difference isn't that big to me. I currently own a 720p LG Plasma TV that I have been very very happy with. Play video games on it and have DirecTV connected to it.

I plan on using this Samsung DLP to hook up my PS3 to it and to watch Blu-Ray movies and play videogames. I will probably also move my Xbox 360 from the LG plasma TV and mainly use the plasma TV for viewing sporting events and what not.

So please for those out there with the current Samsung models please give me your opinions on them.

Note, I don't see the rainbow effect so that is no problem for me.
I have a samsung 56" HL-S5687W 1080p DLP. I discovered that the mirrors are held in place with adhesive tape. It gives way and you develop a shadow on the screen. Samsung is absolutely the cheapest piece of CRAP anyone can buy. Looks great but count on spending 1600 dollars for a new light engine 13 months after you buy it. Two sammys in my home. Both failed. When the repair guys came to get my set they said they had 5 other sammys on the truck that day. If you doubt the problems go to AVS and read the Samsung shadow club thread. Never again will anything with that name on it enter my house. I will take my chances with LCD or Plasma from now on. DLP is dead for me. good luck to you and if you get suckered into buying one purchase a 3 year warranty up front because later on samsung will want over 700 dollars for it.

Our 50" Samsung been used a lot during the last 3 years. Bought it with the extended warranty and used it twice for the color wheel. Glad I did. The first wheel went out the first month, the second just did and the tech replaced the entire engine system tray. The tech told me the same engine tray he just installed cost about $300. 4-5 bolts/5 minutes, no kidding. Noticeably better PQ. I would still buy another if I was in the market (at $600-$700 cheaper for the same!) For the price/PQ/size it's hard to beat. That's my 2 cents.

Better PQ/slimmer/lower cost. I love mine still.

Last edited:
My samsung is pretty good

I've had a 46" DLP for a little over two years. Other than paying through my nose for it at CC, I'm pleased with it. Being two years old, it's never been the best at contrast, but overall, I think I did okay with what was available 2 years ago.

I read either at S&V or HT (or maybe even CNET.com) magazines that somemodel of an LED powered Sammy DLP had some screen bowing issues...it could've been another brand too, but I think it was a sammy.

If I had to do it again, I think I'd go for one of sony's SXRD RP 1080P models that were, I think, descendants of their limited-run $13k Qualia RPTV.

I have a samsung 56" HL-S5687W 1080p DLP. I discovered that the mirrors are held in place with adhesive tape. It gives way and you develop a shadow on the screen. Samsung is absolutely the cheapest piece of CRAP anyone can buy. Looks great but count on spending 1600 dollars for a new light engine 13 months after you buy it. Two sammys in my home. Both failed. When the repair guys came to get my set they said they had 5 other sammys on the truck that day. If you doubt the problems go to AVS and read the Samsung shadow club thread. Never again will anything with that name on it enter my house. I will take my chances with LCD or Plasma from now on. DLP is dead for me. good luck to you and if you get suckered into buying one purchase a 3 year warranty up front because later on samsung will want over 700 dollars for it.

Sorry about your problems Vurbano, sounds like a horrible experience, but you can find nightmare stories about every single brand/model at AVS. If someone spends enough time there they'll not want to buy anything. My experience with Samsung so far has been a very positive one, but my model is also an older one. I know a couple of repair techs and both say the same thing when asked about the most problem prone big screens, it's not Samsung, it's Sony.

With current prices I do think that Plasma is the way to go for screens 42" to 50" (I don't like LCD - Personal preference). Hope your next purchase works out better.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts