question for voom subs

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
DONORA PA
hi,

i am am installing tech for directv and voom and xm and sirius in the western md and northern wv area, and i own the company, and im 1st tier.
now on this subject, why do you people hate directv and dish? if it wasnt for them there would be no voom!
i my self do not like dish, but i do not talk it down !!!

i get paid very well installing voom amd i treat the cx as i would any cx, with respect and dignity. voom isnt all that , neither is directv. they both answer individual cx needs in their own ways. the biggest issue with voom is the must have OTA, which almost no directv cx gets. here in the pittsburgh dma it is a major issue and you cant blame the tech at all , it is the hills!!!!!!!!!!!! the antennas DO NOT WORK!!!! :mad:

dragon002 said:
hi,

i am am installing tech for directv and voom and xm and sirius in the western md and northern wv area, and i own the company, and im 1st tier.
now on this subject, why do you people hate directv and dish? if it wasnt for them there would be no voom!

i get paid very well installing voom amd i treat the cx as i would any cx, with respect and dignity. voom isnt all that , neither is directv. they both answer individual cx needs in their own ways. the biggest issue with voom is the must have OTA, which almost no directv cx gets. here in the pittsburgh dma it is a major issue and you cant blame the tech at all , it is the hills!!!!!!!!!!!! the antennas DO NOT WORK!!!! :mad:
I don't hate directv and dish. I'm just not interested in paying so much money for so little HD.

And most of the bashing around here, whether it's D* bashing, E* bashing, or the ever-popular Voom bashing, is done by a relatively small percentage of SatGuys members. Why do they do this? Dunno. Probably the same reason some guys who buy a Chevy pickup bash the Dodge and the Ford. Maybe it somehow makes them feel better about their decision? :confused:

dragon002 said:
hi,

I don't know all that much about DISH, but I've been a customer of DIRECT TV before and I'll never go back to them - the zombies they have working CS is my biggest complaint, other that it would be no HD, that and they are expensive compared to everyone else and from what I remember it wasn't anything special...

Now that I have VOOM - I just want HD, HD , HD and more HD... The other guys are way to big to care about what customers want and expect (just as long as they pay), for example I seriously doubt Direct or Dish would EVER keep an eye on some forum to see and here what their customers are saying, the big V does :D :D :D

The only things I hate are cruelty, ignorance and violence, DBS doesn’t even rank on my dislike list.

Some of the posters are pretty passionate about a wide variety of subjects, but 'hating' a service provider is a little over-the-top. I'm pretty sure that most people don't actually hate the company, but it is easy to use that term in this forum.

No matter what subject you pick, some will like it and some won't. If we started a thread about 'Tier 1 Installers in Pittsburgh' you might get some feedback that is valuable, but sooner or later--somebody is going to go ballistic about a bad experience they had. Then the "me-too" people jump in, and the feeding frenzy begins.

And just for the record, I don't hate any DBS providers, equipment, installers, geographic areas, or Satelliteguys.

Welcome to the forum dragon002!!

dragon002 said:
the biggest issue with voom is the must have OTA, which almost no directv cx gets. here in the pittsburgh dma it is a major issue and you cant blame the tech at all , it is the hills!!!!!!!!!!!! the antennas DO NOT WORK!!!! :mad:

Yeah I agree I'm in the pittsburgh area and even with voom allowing the installer to put in a rotor i still seem to lose channels at the drop if a hat..
They should just install a good antenna instead of even trying that thing that looks like it came from one of my kid's batman toys.

Why do I hate Echostar's (Dish Network's) business practices? They tried to rip me off for over $400 for double billing me for equipment a few years ago. It took over a year to get resolved and even though i had documentation of the charges they acted like i was trying to rip them off. Also they hire complete idiots to their CS center here in pittsburgh. I can honestly say this because I happen to know a few of them :)

I don't hate D*, because they never ripped me off. I just refuse to sign a year contract to add or upgrade a box. I think thats bad business. If you are going to make someone sign a contract offer some incentive (discounts, free equipment, etc). I still have older D* equipment and still have service on a month to month basis.

Just to round it out.. Comcast sucks because they keep raising prices and refuse to pay money to the local FOX and WB stations (sinclair) for HD feeds, even though they have no problem rasing rates (at least) once a year and claiming it's been 2 years since the last increase each time.

Sat bashing

Probably the same reason some guys who buy a Chevy pickup bash the Dodge and the Ford. Maybe it somehow makes them feel better about their decision? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Those are fighting words partner. I have a Ford and is much better than Chevy and Dodge..JK :D

Krushice said:
Those are fighting words partner. I have a Ford and is much better than Chevy and Dodge..JK :D

I've had all 3 and each leaves something to be desired. This applies to cars and sat providers :)

My Pittsburgh Install

Since you asked...

My installer hadn't a clue where to point my antenna to get my Pittsburgh locals. He just mounted it, crooked, pointing it wherever. Then he said "well, there's no guarantee on the locals, so what you get is what you get."

It wasn't until later, and through the help of this forum, that I realized that I should be getting all of my available locals. I'm about 10 miles from town. So I had to figure out where to point the thing, crawl up to the roof, direct it, and eventually it all came in.

So, don't blame everything on the local topography. Perhaps it wasn't you who did my original install (and there were other problems that I won't go into) but the guy who did it just didn't care.

Not the worst install story - but sadly I suppose too common.

Krushice said:
Thank you for illustrating my point. :D
And hey, I'm from Detroit -- as long as ya got one of those instead of say, Toyota, it's okay in my book! :p For the record I too am a Ford man -- and a Voom man. :yes

dragon002 said:
hi,

I have done many OTA in pittsburgh dma. No real problems. Just have to decide on Yougstown or pittsburgh. I have always been able to get one or the other....... on the other hand D* and E* do not even attempt to provide any solution for local HD..... at least voom has made attempts to provide a solution that works for 90%. Thats better than 0% from the others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)