Question for you experienced 4K guys

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I gotta strong feeling I am going to get a 4K LCD this year, or at least want one. OLED pricing leads me to believe it'll be another 2 years before I am willing to grab one at the size I want. With players coming late and Directv getting in, I want to be 4K ready by late Summer so I can enjoy it going into next year.

That being said, and since I have intentionally not paid attention, what would you recommend as brands/models to seriously consider for 2015? Who is doing it right with performance and specs? I know little about LCD as well, been buying plasmas for like, ever.

• I'm looking 65"-75" (would prefer larger than 65" but not a deal breaker)
  • $3000-$3500 is probably about all I want to spend
  • No care at all about smart this or that, and no 3D is not an issue (I know some brands have removed it). I just want a nice display that can be calibrated by a pro.
  • No curves!
  • Main uses would be blu-ray, 4K blu-ray, and Directv

My first idea is the new Sharp flagship 70" UH30 with THX 4K certification ($3200 MSRP). But I'm open.

Thanks.

The cream of the current crop (2014 models), based on reviews, are the Sony XBR-X900B or the Samsung HU8550. I'm currently awaiting delivery on a 55" HU8550. I chose the Samsung mostly because of the readily accessible calibration controls.

Reactions: Jimbo
The cream of the current crop (2014 models), based on reviews, are the Sony XBR-X900B or the Samsung HU8550. I'm currently awaiting delivery on a 55" HU8550. I chose the Samsung mostly because of the readily accessible calibration controls.

IIRC, that XBR will continue as a 2015 model (2 year life cycle). It is $3500 for the 65", so not bad.

I think first of all you need to consider the video source. Where will your 4K signal be coming from besides the Blu-ray, which is still almost a year away, if not more?
If you are a DirecTV subscriber, then you need an RVU-enabled set. For Dish Network, just HDCP 2.2.
You said you weren't concerned about the TV set being smart. But it might be very important for 4K, as you will probably want to stream 4K Netflix and Amazon and such directly to your TV set, since there are almost no external devices capable of doing that. Not only the 4K TV needs to be smart to decode the streaming content, but it also needs to have a pretty powerful CPU to do this job well.

Last edited:
I think first of all you need to consider the video source. Where will your 4K signal be coming from besides the Blu-ray, which is still almost a year away, if not more?
If you are a DirectTV subscriber, then you need an RVU-enabled set. For Dish Network, just HDCP 2.2.
You said you weren't concerned about the TV set being smart. But it might be very important for 4K, as you will probably want to stream 4K Netflix and Amazon and such directly to your TV set, since there are almost no external devices capable of doing that. Not only the 4K TV needs to be smart to decode the streaming content, but it also needs to have a pretty powerful CPU to do this job well.

Can't comment on RVU as I've never been with Direct. The Sony and Samsung models mentioned above do have HEVC for Netflix and HDCP 2.2 although not on all HDMI inputs.

Im referring to apps and what it can do in that realm. Could care less. Someone people are so focused on Apps and tv's. I have other devices for that.

As long as it will do Directv 4K and 4K blu-ray, I dont much care after that.

The more I look at this, the more I realize this ish isn't even close to being ready. I may just look at upgrading to a larger screen with no bearing on 4K features. 75" Samsung is $3500 right now (1080p).

My point is that RVU is one of those Smart Apps. So, RVU-enabled sets have to be smart and have to be able to decode streaming content.

I get that, but you took the whole thing out beyond my meaning. It was simply that it having a Netflix app, vudu, pandora or Amazon prime, did not matter. I did not want to focus on that aspect, which is why I said what I NEEDED it to do, "Smart" or not.

The box can say "Smart TV" all it wants as long as it does what I require it to do.

That's fine. But keep in mind that those streaming services like Netflix are currently the main sources of 4K content. You would be missing out. And you cannot stream 4K with Roku box or any other devices you have now.

His internet speed is not fast enough to be used for 4k streaming so he's good to go without these apps (is what he is saying) :)

It may not be fast enough today, but will it still be not fast enough tomorrow, or next year? ;)
All I am saying is that this is an important consideration for 4K. Personally, I don't care about those smart apps either. I can stream 1080p in a variety of other ways. For 1080p Smart TV is not necessary.

However, with 4K this is a completely different story. Video streaming is currently the primary source of 4K content and will probably remain as such until the end of the year or even longer. Personally, I wouldn't even consider getting a 4K TV set this year without a fast internet connection, unless all you want to watch is an up-converted video.

Last edited:
I have an new P50B1 Vizio 4K and last night I watched Crouching Tiger on the Netflix app, with the tv reporting 2160(4K) resolution. My ISP speed was 10.8. The pic amazing

Sorry, been super busy all week. Not sure you would be happy with the Sharp. You might be happier with the Samsung, Sony, etc. Definitely want FALD.

S~

I gotta strong feeling I am going to get a 4K LCD this year, or at least want one. OLED pricing leads me to believe it'll be another 2 years before I am willing to grab one at the size I want. With players coming late and Directv getting in, I want to be 4K ready by late Summer so I can enjoy it going into next year.

That being said, and since I have intentionally not paid attention, what would you recommend as brands/models to seriously consider for 2015? Who is doing it right with performance and specs? I know little about LCD as well, been buying plasmas for like, ever.

• I'm looking 65"-75" (would prefer larger than 65" but not a deal breaker)
  • $3000-$3500 is probably about all I want to spend
  • No care at all about smart this or that, and no 3D is not an issue (I know some brands have removed it). I just want a nice display that can be calibrated by a pro.
  • No curves!
  • Main uses would be blu-ray, 4K blu-ray, and Directv

My first idea is the new Sharp flagship 70" UH30 with THX 4K certification ($3200 MSRP). But I'm open.

Thanks.

If you want to use it with DIRECTV it has to be Samsung only.

A DIRECTV 4K Ready TV has a built-in RVU technology that lets you enjoy DIRECTV service and full HD DVR functionality without a receiver when it’s used as an additional TV in a Genie HD DVR setup.

How do I know if my TV is DIRECTV 4K Ready?
Currently only the following Samsung TV models are DIRECTV 4K Ready:

Brand Year Models
2014 All Smart UHD/4K TV Models

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)