Question... Now that you have had your Hopper

It happened multiple times with the 1st gen Hopper and is happening with both my HWS....try to watch something on the FR HWS that was recorded on the BR PTAT. Press "start over" and I get the live channel I was on with no sound. Only way to get to the recorded PTAT is with a RBR. Happens at least twice a week. It gets very old after awhile.

I love my Hoppers. Off the top of my head, I have but one feature request.

While some are channel surfers, I am a huge search nerd. Every week, I use the search function to find movies in my favorite genres that I'd like to record. So, I'd like the search function to be even more powerful. For instance, I'd be thrilled if I could sort by critical rating or even year of release or MPAA rating. This way, I could find 3+ star comedies from 1990 onward and rated R, if that's my mood, and not have to deal with over a hundred films in the search results on the level of "Baby's Day Out."

I just want to say that I think that it's REALLY cool that I could do this now. And it's equally cool that decision-makers at DISH silently but attentively read this awesome forum and care to learn what we'd like to see, while their Internet Response Team continually provides positively outstanding help. Speaking as a day-one Hopper customer, the experience of using it has improved by leaps and bounds, at a much faster pace than did DISH's previous receivers. Hardware iteration is important, but the "it's been a year, time to ship a new product" mentality can wear on the customer, even if the competition necessitates it by not themselves standing still. While DISH has improved the hardware tremendously, it's refreshing to see that they apparently realize that you can get a Hopper 3.0 WITHOUT getting a new set-top box--DISH has done an absolutely fantastic job stabilizing the software, adding features to it, and integrating it with their mobile apps. Just thought I'd put something positive down--I mean it.

Last edited:
1. What are your favorite features on the Hopper/Joey?

ANSWER- The $30 USB OTA tuner is the best on the market I tried them all. Can can pull in ABC and CBS from my Nearby DMA

2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.)

ANSWER- The Two Hoppers are not Integrated (when I was Directv they were). Its hard to remember which DVR I record what on.

3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? If you have what was the issue and how was it fixed?

ANSWER- Bad Switch, when it got cold out side is would stop working, replaced per known service bulletin. Caused an outage for weeks. Could not watch TV

4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why?

ANSWER- Add a NetFlix Option. I would even pay extra to have a Netflix app. I love Netflix.

Although I use it for only two CBS programs, Auto Hop is my favorite feature.

2. What have been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey?
All HD should be at blue ray quality if the original source is at that level. Stop calling anything less than 1080-I high def.
The program guide does not show the program's original broadcast date on the screen (extra clicks are required to see it).

3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed?
No problems.

4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why?
Add Hopper apps (such as Roku channels) to provide access to the rapidly growing world of internet streaming. Provide
scheduling/recording capability for these internet channels just like the regular satellite channels -- AND/OR
add a mirroring feature (as in AppleTV) with personal computer, pad, and phone apps to allow them to wi-fi source into
the Hopper where it can be recorded and displayed.

I love the on-screen look of everything. So much better than ViPs. The guide is much easier to read, and you can see all shows down to 5 min. blocks.

2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.)
Right after my install, my Hoppers stopped recognizing one of my EHDs that had a lot of saved content from my 722. I've seen a couple of suggestions on here as to ways of getting at those shows. I just haven't tried any of them yet. :doh:

3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? If you have what was the issue and how was it fixed?
No need for any service calls . . . yet! ;)

Just one?! I guess I'd like to see improvements in the apps - like more apps available (maybe an 'app store'?), and the ability to remove apps that you don't use (or at least change the order of appearance). Better ways to interact with those apps (mouse, keyboard) would also be a big plus. So much potential there . . .

Add Hopper apps (such as Roku channels) to provide access to the rapidly growing world of internet streaming. Provide
scheduling/recording capability for these internet channels just like the regular satellite channels -- AND/OR
add a mirroring feature (as in AppleTV) with personal computer, pad, and phone apps to allow them to wi-fi source into
the Hopper where it can be recorded and displayed.
Not likely as this would require digitizing the signal. I believe that involves a TiVo patent.
The OTA signal (ATSC) is digital and the satellites (MPEG2/4) send digital signals, not analog as it would be for your signals.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts