Question... Now that you have had your Hopper

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Are you deleting ALL of the shows in a folder? That's the only time it happens for me. Just deleting 1 or 2 and leaving others won't do it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I know what it's doing now.... When you enter a folder for a program, it changes the sorting to "Episode #", which makes perfect sense. After you delete multiple programs (another factor may be that you have to use the colored keys to select all, then delete), since the folder's contents are now gone, it takes the folder with it and sends you back to the main DVR "window". When it does this, it doesn't cycle from "Episode #" to "DVR date".

Found what your talking about. You can change the sort option after you enter a programs folder. Press the Yellow button and change to sort by Date or Episode number. Your choice.

Hey guys...

Since it has been about a year since the Hopper has been out, I was wondering your thoughts on it and would like to get the feedback from our members on how its been and also see what you might like to see in the future.

So if you would be so kind would you please answer the following questions honestly... (And please I wish for people only to answer the questions, I dont want it to turn into a big discussion... I just want your honest thoughts...

1. What are your favorite features on the Hopper/Joey?
2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.)
3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? If you have what was the issue and how was it fixed?
4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why?

Thanks for your feedback! Please remember this thread is for people with Hoppers/Joey setup to answer the above questions... this is NOT a discussion thread.

Honestly, the Hopper w/sling is a major upgrade over the original hopper. It downloads faster, though the difference in remote sync bothers me. Dish needs to keep it on an even keel to help the installation techs who are dealing with many challenges...just my 2 cents...

I've had the HwS for three days now. So far this thing is amazing after the 722k. It is so much faster than my old box. Dish Anywhere works great so far, even though I have pretty bad upstream internet (usually a little less than 1Mb/s).

I really like scrolling through the guide on an ipad and find myself watching things I wouldn't have noticed before. Somehow the old blue 722 guide caused me to scroll toward the familiar, and the big expansive guide on the Hopper makes me snoop around more. I don't usually like things like "What's hot" but hitting that has already caused me to say "Oh, yeah...forgot about that" and watch something I wasn't looking for (hello there, Taken 2!).

Game Finder is really useful too. There are a few minor issues with it. It doesn't include French ligue 1 soccer, even though that's a big part of BeIn sports offerings.

But there are so many little things that they have fixed. Tiny gripes that they took the time to work out like being able to assign an aux speaker to the volume keys under "SAT" on the remote, so you don't have to switch back and forth if you have a soundbar or something. A tiny little issue but one that always seemed fixable...and they put a very specific menu option to do exactly that, so they must have been reacting to feedback.

The Music app is nice too. It saves me creating a separate guide for just the music stations.

Down the road I'd still like to see them make better use of the info window. Right now I'm watching a Mexican league soccer match, and the info cuts short before it gets to actually naming the teams involved even though there is a ton of empty gray space they could use. They still seem to have a hard character limit or something.

Setting timers is so much more intuitive and the options easier to get to, that programming things in order to avoid conflicts is a lot easier. You can see the conflicts more clearly and your options to move things around are way more obvious.

On demand is so much easier to search around. There are still issues with downloading by sat and waiting around, but it's so much easier to find things that I'll probably look ahead to the weekend and line a few things up every now and then. On the 722 I never bothered to try to navigate that mess of text.

This last thing may be wishful thinking or a mind-trick on my part, but I swear the picture quality on the HD channels seems noticeably better than on my old Vip722K.

This was easily worth the contract signing after I did the math on switching to D* and found that spread over two years, I was only going to save about $200-$250 total. This equipment is easily worth that.

Last edited:
I'm a new Dish Member. Just got the hopper with Sling. I live in Atlanta and work in Alaska 3 weeks out of the month. I connect my laptop to my LCD via HDMI (Anchorage AK apartment). Use Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Works great. Much better than using the tablet (Nexus 10). I have witless in the apartment. Better download speed because I use a direct Ethernet connection.

Atlanta setup. Hopper Gigabyte connection to a Comcast Modem with 24+MB down and 8MB up.
Anchorage: 4Mmb+ down and 1.5mb+ up.

I am completely new to the hopper and am somewhat computer illiterate. My biggest complaint is a complete lack of written instructions on how to operate the system. A quick 10 minute demonstration by the installation technician was quickly forgotten after he left.

Bigger buffer (one hour is not enough) and quicker channel changes. Failed to hop last night after request for the first time. Love the hop.

Bigger buffer (one hour is not enough)
I think there has to be a limit and no matter what they pick, people will not be happy. They probably base it on most shows are 30 or 60 minutes long and in that case, a 1 hour buffer suffices. I wonder if they could design it so that if the DVR is paused for "x" time, it automatically creates a recording of the event ?
...and quicker channel changes.
I think this is a limitation of the latency between the satellite(s) and the receiver and the authorization that it checks with every single channel change*. Every digital system is "slow", at least compared to analog TV's channel switching from the past. Yes, I don't doubt that some are quicker than others (I suspect D* and E* are slower than cable). I wonder why they can't pre-authorize our channels, based on our subscription, in time blocks of one hour, four hours, 24 hours, etc ? Probably legal reasons there, i.e. a customer could receive a channel for a short period after they cancel... Solution to that is send a 'hit' anytime a subscription change is made (just like they do today).

* It's my understanding that when you change from channel 'x' to channel 'y', the receiver has to query the smartcard to see if that channel is allowed. On cable, it sends a query to the headend (since it's a two-way system) asking if the channel is allowed. Hence the delay on digital systems.

We are moving from an apartment to a house - move in date is 9/7 and I have Dish ordered and ready to be installed that same afternoon. I can't wait to receive my Hopper w/ Sling!

Just upgraded this saturday to two hopper with sling and 4 joeys. Love it. The initial installation took a while but installers were able to make it work and I am amazed at the hopper. I have been learning how to use little by little but I have ti say that the external drives working on both hopper has to be my favorite. Also the fact that I can see all recordings on both hopper is great. Dishanywhere is also grea.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Okay i have a question and am pretty worried about this. Tomorrow I am scheduled to get a free upgrade to a Hopper and 3 Joeys. The Hopper is going downstairs in the living room where I never watch TV (live at home with parents). So my concerns:

1. First off I asked if I can get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. They told me this would not work. They said I need at least 3 joeys to have 2 Hoppers, which I don't understand...

2. My other concern is we have record a lot of TV. They told me that the Hopper can record 2 shows, and you can watch a 3rd show. Okay fine, but if my Joeys are recording anything, they are all basically useless and can only watch what is being recorded. Am I understanding this right? So if the Hopper is recording 2 shows, my Joey can ultimately only record 1, and the rest of the Joeys cannot record anything? I don't see how this is an advantage over what I have now where each DVR is separate and can record 1 show each and watch live TV each...

Am I just not understanding this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts