Question... Now that you have had your Hopper

Been a long time since I've been round these parts, but... got my Hopper and 2 Joeys a few months back...

1) The obvious choices like PTAT and whole home HD - but I've always appreciated the clean, snappy guide UI. None better.
2) (the reason why I'm back round here tonight)... I have a lip sync problem, but I haven't determined if it's the Hopper, the Joey, or the TV... right now I'm trying to play with the lip sync adjustment on the Bedroom TV and see if I can nab this... So, I'm not even sure if it's a Hopper/Joey problem. Has worked quite well to date.
3) No replacements.
4) Some sort of seamless Netflix integration. Basically I want it to integrate/replace my Apple TV. Oh, and if they would send me a sling adapter for free that would be great too. :)

1) HD on multiple turners, Great connection to second TV, and, when it works right, I like the delete feature.
2) Software update S234...introduce a lot of "bugs", problems, and slowed down the speed of the Hopper when pulling up new screens.
3)I had one of the first Hoppers out, and around the end of last year it had to be replaced because of harddrive problems per Dish Tech. The "new" Hoper was a refurbished unit. That's what I have now.
4)I like to see our program guide changed. I find it slow, outdated, and lacking information. It ce nice to at least see the whole title of a program, not half of the title just cut off.

Ghpr13:)

1. Being able to view any recording from any room.
2. No install issues, the only real problem is Hopper "B" can't see the recordings on Hopper "A"'s EHD (the one exception we've run into with the "any recording in any room")
3. No upgrades/swapouts, still on original 2H/2J setup.
4. List view instead of icons in DVR recordings.

Recently upgraded to 1H w/ Sling/1J, and liking it so far.

1. What are your favorite features on the Hopper/Joey? - HD on all TVs, PTAT.
2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.) - None.
3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? If you have what was the issue and how was it fixed? - N.A. I went straight from 722k to Hopper w/ Sling.
4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why? - Provide list view of recordings. Much prefer the simple list view of recordings in 722K.

1. What are your favorite features on the Hopper/Joey? - DLNA Streaming

2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? Drop outs when you get something from on demand. Once you select something to download, it will either flake out after that show is watched or if you try to pull up the ondemand channel listings again while it's will downloading in the background. In both cases it will say a connection to the internet is required and *sometimes* will tell you to press * or record to try to reconnect (this feature appeared to be introduced after I had called in a while ago about this issue). While it seems to happen less frequently, it still happens. I have CAT 6 ran to the hopper and each Joey with a 1Gbps network setup and a 50/10 cable modem so I know network speed isn't an issue (plus the fact the Network Stat screen shows it's all connected!)

3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? I'm guess I'm confused by this as the Hopper I have has the add-on USB Sling.. is it built in now? As for service call, see #2

4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why? Support more codecs. MP4's don't play off of my Linux box running Plex Media Server, but MKV's in normal profile x264 with AAC work just fine. It's just annoying to have to convert the MP4's to MKV's so they'll stream. (As a side note, if Dish could provide a DLNA client profile to the Plex Media guys so they could build a profile for it so it will transcode the formats the Hopper/Joey setup doesn't support.. well that would just be awesome!)

I would love it if we could access the other hopper to set timers and possibly view the live channels on that hopper , instead of having to go into the other room to set them or view them. Especially since the ota tuner can only do one ota channel at a time. I guess I want full integration of the two hoppers so I could manage the timers, and view any tuner on either hopper.

Had mine since day 1.

1. Love PTAT and Auto Hop. Also the ability to view ALL recordings from any room.
2 & 3.Had a rough install. Tech just wasn't trained well. Took him all day and still had no connection to internet because he connected Ethernet cable to a Joey instead of a Hopper. A few long calls to Dish helped me resolve that. Lately both Hoppers have been losing signal, requiring either pressing the reset button or doing a check switch. Had a tech out a few weeks ago. He said it was because the original installer used unapproved connectors. It's better, but still having problems.
4. Netflix app.

I upgraded to 2H/2J system last year.

1. What are your favorite features on the Hopper/Joey?
The biggest reason I upgraded was for HD in all rooms and the shared DVR. Those are still my favorite features, though the speed of the DVR, channel logos and show art in the guide and DVR were also cool additions that I really like, oh and being able to access content from the other Hopper is a plus too. By far the two most prized features are PTAT and AutoHop. My wife really love the AutoHop feature and that goes a long way toward the WAF.
2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.)
My biggest issue was with the external drive transfer bug. I lost well over 250 Hrs of archives thanks to that one and I'm still miffed about it. The install went fine aside from the usual learning curve that accompanies any new system.
3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? If you have what was the issue and how was it fixed?
No, though I have 'added' an additional Joey since my original install.
4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why?
I would like to see better multi-hopper integration, particularly around tuner usage.. (i.e.: making all the tuners virtualized and any Hopper or Joey can grab any tuner from the lot when needed)

I would love it if we could access the other hopper to set timers and possibly view the live channels on that hopper , instead of having to go into the other room to set them or view them. Especially since the ota tuner can only do one ota channel at a time. I guess I want full integration of the two hoppers so I could manage the timers, and view any tuner on either hopper.

On Saturdays early in the morning is when I usually work on the TV schedule for the week. The wife is still asleep in the bedroom where one of the Hoppers is that I want to work on. I use sling to get to it or what works better yet is I tune the TV where I am at to the modulated channel where the Hopper is and work on the schedule. But I think you have the better idea of full integration of all Hoppers. It is sad that the Hoppers can only sink live TV and not the recordings too. I would have not installed three RF modulators and just install one for the home distribution splitter.

On Saturdays early in the morning is when I usually work on the TV schedule for the week.
I wish I could limit my management to once a week. As it stands now, some of my massive Dish Pass timers (Seek and Record for you marsupials) only go out 2-3 days due to the number of events in each timer. Forces me to manage at least every other day, which is better I guess than hitting any kind of event limit.

I wish I could limit my management to once a week. As it stands now, some of my massive Dish Pass timers (Seek and Record for you marsupials) only go out 2-3 days due to the number of events in each timer. Forces me to manage at least every other day, which is better I guess than hitting any kind of event limit.

I hear ya. I started working on the TV schedule bunches of years ago while with Cable TV. Their DVRs kept failing so I had too if I wanted to keep the Mrs. happy. She does not like missing her favorite programs. When I switched to Dish in 2007 I just kept it up. There is very little issue with Dish’s DVRs but sometimes the “new indicator” from the TV stations would not be correct or I screwed up the timers my dam self, etc, etc. I use http://titantv.com/ for my schedule. I have a favorite channel list and set for 6 to 10pm CST. Saturday mornings I print Sunday thru Saturday schedule. I then go thru each day and circle our timer shows that are “New”. Then I bump each day schedule against last week’s schedule that I have kept to double check I didn't miss something. Then I go to the Hopper and check the daily timer schedule against the Titan schedule I just worked on and iron out the mistakes, additional timers required, etc. I check the whole week’s schedule. Then I go to a second Hopper and do the same exact thing. Then every morning I double check that day’s schedule again to make sure it still is set correctly on both Hoppers. Sometimes I will check the daily schedule again that afternoon just to make sure. I dual record on two Hoppers with identical timers. Sometimes we have to go to the backup Hopper because a timer screwed up for some reason. All of this sounds really time comsuming and redundant but it is really fast to do and worth not having the Mrs. miss a program. I use to do this every couple days like you do but got tired of it so I just get it over with once a week on Saturday mornings while I watch The Rifleman on AMC. LOL

I hear ya. I started working on the TV schedule bunches of years ago while with Cable TV. Their DVRs kept failing so I had too if I wanted to keep the Mrs. happy. She does not like missing her favorite programs. When I switched to Dish in 2007 I just kept it up. There is very little issue with Dish’s DVRs but sometimes the “new indicator” from the TV stations would not be correct or I screwed up the timers my dam self, etc, etc. I use http://titantv.com/ for my schedule. I have a favorite channel list and set for 6 to 10pm CST. Saturday mornings I print Sunday thru Saturday schedule. I then go thru each day and circle our timer shows that are “New”. Then I bump each day schedule against last week’s schedule that I have kept to double check I didn't miss something. Then I go to the Hopper and check the daily timer schedule against the Titan schedule I just worked on and iron out the mistakes, additional timers required, etc. I check the whole week’s schedule. Then I go to a second Hopper and do the same exact thing. Then every morning I double check that day’s schedule again to make sure it still is set correctly on both Hoppers. Sometimes I will check the daily schedule again that afternoon just to make sure. I dual record on two Hoppers with identical timers. Sometimes we have to go to the backup Hopper because a timer screwed up for some reason. All of this sounds really time comsuming and redundant but it is really fast to do and worth not having the Mrs. miss a program. I use to do this every couple days like you do but got tired of it so I just get it over with once a week on Saturday mornings while I watch The Rifleman on AMC. LOL

What's this "print" thing you speak of? :eek:

1. What are your favorite features on the Hopper/Joey?

Whole home ability, true access to both Hoppers on any TV

2. What has been your biggest issues with the Hopper/Joey? (If you had install issues you can note them here as well.)

Pixelation at the top and bottom of the hour; jump 30 sec button seems slow compared to 722

3. Besides upgrading to a new Hopper with Sling, have you had your Hopper/Joey replaced or had a service call placed? If you have what was the issue and how was it fixed?

No hardware issues 2H/3J

4. If you could change or add just ONE feature on the Hopper what would it be and why?

Option to switch between a folder and a list view in DVR would be nice.

has anyone been able to pair the ipad with the Hopper using the "Dish Hopper Ttransfers" apllication. Mine gives an error hopper not found at the ip address that is clearliy shown on the hopper screen. I talked with a tech who stated they were sending me an update on the software to correct the problem. That was a week ago, still no success. Also, can anyone suggest a comptatible bluetooth headphone with the Hopper?

has anyone been able to pair the ipad with the Hopper using the "Dish Hopper Ttransfers" apllication. Mine gives an error hopper not found at the ip address that is clearliy shown on the hopper screen. I talked with a tech who stated they were sending me an update on the software to correct the problem. That was a week ago, still no success. Also, can anyone suggest a comptatible bluetooth headphone with the Hopper?

I use the Motorola s9 HD headphones.

The transfer application only works with the Hopper 2.0 not the original, do you have the correct model?

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

1)Love Autohop, PTAT, GUI, and hard drive size
2)Haven't really found any that cause me to curse yet.
3)Haven't had anything replaced
4)While it may be trivial, I'd like to see if we've set a timer on PTAT shows. Just putting a small icon next to the yellow PTAT icon would be nice for a quick reference to whether we already have a timer for that show.

Dish is only installing the 2.0 version of the Hopper when requested. If you did not specifically ask for it, then by default you'd get the 1.0 version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)