Question on AC-3 fpr PBS Stations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
I'm going to be heading out to get a receiver that will help get the audio for the PBS stations using my Coolsat 5000. Is there a particular type of Dolby decoding that I need to be looking for? There seems to be so many variations. Any other aspects of the receiver that I should be looking for as well? Thanks.

Make sure that the digital input connector type on the audio amp/receiver matches the output on your satellite receiver (optical or coaxial)...

Most audio receivers with Dolby Digital have both these days...

It's cyber Monday today... maybe you'll find some good deals online.

I still love my audigy since it has so many lines in and out and can take a line in directly from the computer in addition to from the fta receiver (not at the same time mind ya, otherwise it'd be garbled message with multiple audio streams coming out - I have to unhook the computer's line til I actually want to hear stuff off the computer)

I`m thinking about doing the same. What receiver did you purchase AND are you happy with your selection??

Note that not every receiver that can do Dolby Digital is capable of AC3. I have a Sony STR-DE915 that refuses to work on AC3 channels from my Fortec Star Mercury II. All I get is a clicking sound. Non AC3 channels work fine over the optical from the Mercury II. The Sony Receiver also works fine with Dolby Digital from my HDTV

Last edited:
AC-3 is Dolby Digital, two names for the same thing. Maybe an issue with the receiver? I heard the Merc II required a firmware upgrade for something, maybe that was it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts