Question on dish size and signal gain?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Does anyone know, approx. how much signal gain /strength I would have if I upgrade from an 80cm dish to a Primestar dish for G10. My current signal strength is from 40/46% on the low end to 80% on the high end? Thanks in advance!

I don’t know exactly how much gain (like a technical percentage wise) but when I went from a 30” to a 36”, the weaker signals came in better. It really didn’t do much to the strong signals.

As an example (using a Pansat 1500)
11800 TP went from 75 to 77-78
12114 stayed pretty much between 95-99
12104 stayed around 75-77

But the big thing was the 11720 TP. That went from 30-35 to a 50. Now I know Dish has been tweaking something because on my Coolsat 11720 TP was around 65-66 (barely enough to keep it stable)..but now its up to 70-72 so I’ll have to check the Pansat tonight to see what the difference is.

A bigger dish helps weaker signals :)

Ok thanks! I just wanted to verify that that I would see a gain, or have less problems with interference. On that note, I have not had any problems on the low tps on g10 latley - knock on wood :)

I love my primestar dish! It's the 39 inch.

I did get a Winegard 76cm just for G10, but after trying it, it just can't get a decent signal on G10 like the primestar can. Works ok on other sats, just not as strong as the primestar is.

I am getting about 59 on G10 11720 with the primestar, with the 76cm it was about 35-40.

Go for the bigger dish if you have room. Plus it just looks cool........... :)

With the Winegard DS2076 make sure you do not have the 4 bolts holding the dish to the mount too tight! Hand tight then a 1/4 turn with a wrench is more than enough. Its crucial that these four bolts are tightened evenly and that you tighten opposite bolts by hand first.

Another tip, when pointing at a satellite (G10R since its weak for you) stand behind the dish, put your knee on the mast and hold each side of the dish. Pull back slightly then release, you may see the signal quality rise ;)

The above works on any stamped steel dish, its just that most of the dish I work with are Winegards.

Whoops forgot to add the satellite dish GAIN calculator...........

http://www.satcom.co.uk/article.asp?article=22

Last edited:
On G10 11720 I am getting 46% on my 80cm. I might play around with G10 and a Primestar dish soon to see what I get :)

g10r
46% and it comes in great, no problems
31in wingard
fortec classic na
.3 digiwave lnb
rdel:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)