question on HDTV vs. EDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

baya

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
TEXAS
Okay, I do not want to pick on the Good looking Blue Color Lady at the Video Center at Wally World but he could not respond to my question.
What is the main difference between a EDTV vs HDTV? I was so jealous that I went to WW and upgrade my Bedroom TV. Now I have wires coming out of my nose and very little clue where they go.... NOPE!!!!! I do not think they go there neither. :D

PS we have to have a HDTV to talk about Sat. with HD programing. :cool:
Baya.

An EDTV will only support up to 480p, an HDTV will support up to 1080i

IMHO, an EDTV is a waste of money.

EDTVs are widescreen TVs that can handle an HD signal (720p or 1080i) but only output a 480p signal (which is not an HD spec) They are cheap things that look a little better than regular TVs and are ok if you never plan on watching HD, but other than that avoid them and get a real HDTV

I guess I luck out because my HD (sanyo) was a bit cheaper than the SDTV.

BFG said:
EDTVs are widescreen TVs that can handle an HD signal (720p or 1080i) but only output a 480p signal (which is not an HD spec) They are cheap things that look a little better than regular TVs and are ok if you never plan on watching HD, but other than that avoid them and get a real HDTV

I watch HD on my Panasonic ED Plasma and it looks great !! Before I bought it I compared it ( in Store, side by side with another Panny (HD) model) and from the Distance that I was going to be watching from, I could hardly see the difference........ except in the price !!!! :eek:

From 10 feet away you need real good eyes to see the extra sharpness of HDTV over EDTV. EDTV can also look better that an HDTV when watching DVDs. Many people can't justify the extra $2K for the increased resolution. I bought an ED plasma as a stop gap until 42 LEDs are cheaper

dougruss said:
Before I bought it I compared it ( in Store, side by side with another Panny (HD) model) and from the Distance that I was going to be watching from, I could hardly see the difference........
Were you watching HD material ??

Seems to me that most of the ads for ED sets that I have seen are as high and even higher than true HD sets. Seems like a no brainer to me as to which way to go. Could never understand why anyone would pay that kind of money for an ED only set.

You can't use SD programming to compare HD and ED.

My ED plasma set has a much nicer picture than a friends HD DLP setup when viewing HD programming. His set was $1800 more.

As far as price goes the cheapest brandname HD plasma I can find is an LG for $3300. I bought my ED set for $1700. I am surprised to see how much the prices have fallen since I bought 4 months ago.

geek said:
My ED plasma set has a much nicer picture than a friends HD DLP setup when viewing HD programming.
Sorry...NOT buying it. Unless his DLP is somehow defective or its not setup to run at 720 or 1080i.

hall said:
Were you watching HD material ??

Yes I was !
It was the same signal to both Plasmas...........

If you guys can justify the Cost difference between the Pic Quality ...cool....

but my ol'59 year old eyes...it didn't matter ! I still saved big $$$ .

I'm not trying to fit into the "Status Quo".......... :D

BTW.......I paid $1679.00 for the Panny ED 2 months ago.
Now it has dropped even lower:Visualapex.com

ED plasmas were a marketing scam. Everybody wanted to say they owned a flat panel TV, but few could afford the $8K to $10K the vendors were charging. Along comes a "relatively cheap" plasma TV. Most folks new to digital age didn't know HD from ED from SD. They see a DVD on the screen and it looks great. Hey, great DVD picture and I can hang it on the wall. Now that HD plasma prices have started to get real and HD LCDs are getting large while still price competitive, the ED's are disappearing. There isn't any market for them now that all of the superior technologies that yield true HD PQ have/are becoming affordable.

I guess it all comes down to preference.

HD is not just about resolution. It's also about bitrate and colour fidelity.

DLP is a huge step forward for projection TVs but still can't hold a candle to plasma as far as colour reproduction goes. I prefer more realistic colours over a sharper picture. DLPs, at least the ones I looked at, require a dim room and sitting front and center for optimal viewing.

geek said:

DLP is a huge step forward for projection TVs but still can't hold a candle to plasma as far as colour reproduction goes. I prefer more realistic colours over a sharper picture. DLPs, at least the ones I looked at, require a dim room and sitting front and center for optimal viewing.
I think the cold up there is getting to you. My Samsung DLP works perfectly in a very bright room and I can sit way off to the side and see it just fine.

geek said:

StevenD said:
I think the cold up there is getting to you. My Samsung DLP works perfectly in a very bright room and I can sit way off to the side and see it just fine.

I agree with StevenD..My Mitsubishi DLP looks great in my living room day or night and I Have 6 huge windows that get sun all day long.. If I had a digital camera I would show you what I mean, but I don't so you just have to take my word for it..LOL

The ED plasmas have a larger dot pitch, usually in the 400 line range, while the HDs have a smaller dot pitch and are therefore better suited to HDTV resolutions (720p and 1080i).

Both will work with an HD stream, but you won't get the detail of an HD stream on an ED monitor. A good example of this would be when displaying a PC's output on a regular TV set, you lose PLENTY of detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)