Question on local hd channels...

Princess Pikachu

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Central Cali
Newbie here, I know this has been asked many times, but all different answers depending on where you live.
I am hoping I can get this answered once and for all.
Heres my sitiuation.
I have the Dish Welcome Package and wondering if any of the channel in the welcome package are in HD, like my locals.
I was told yes if I upgraded to a HD reciever, so i went and got a 722k and now I am wonder if I also need to upgrade my current dish 500 to recieve these channels in HD. I am in California and my zip is 93614.
Please help.

Coarsegold is in the Fresno market. Your HD local channels are on 129. You need a western arc dish that looks at 110, 119, and 129 to get your local channels in HD. PM one of the DIRT members here on this website and they can get you set up. You will find them at the bottom of the main forum page. Their names will appear in Red.

Yes, the website says you do get ANY channel that is in HD in your package. But you need to see the correct satellite(s), in your case I am guessing 129 for HD. To get all the channels you may need to see all three satellites or at least two. Talk to a DIRT team member here they can tell you exactly what you need to do to get HD.

You need a Dish 1000.2 to get HD locals through DISH.

I'm thinking you cannot subscribe to HD without a higher level ($34.99 or more) package.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that you can get HD over-the-air but that's not for sure.

DIRT-Dish Internet Response Team
On the main forum page scroll to the bottom of the members list. Their name will be in RED

as for the original question
Welcome Pack the only HD you will get is locals (if available and have the right dish) and any add-ons you get like HBO, Showtime, or any freeview Dish is running. If that channel is in HD you'll see it (again as long as you have the right dish)

On the new Dish site, it shows the Welcome pack with HD channels. I take it that is wrong?

$14.99, 40+ channels.
In HD - TBS, History, HGTV, Food, TLC, Weather Channel. CMT.

Welcome! :welcome

Did you purchase the 722k yourself or did you order it through DISH? Through DISH they should have installed the 1000.2 dish along with it.

On the new Dish site, it shows the Welcome pack with HD channels. I take it that is wrong?

correct. The website is wrong. No HD is allowed on the WP unless its HD locals or if you add an alacarte option (Heartland Package, Outdoor Sports) and freeveiws

where and what is a dirt menmber?
I would think you could go get a antenna and screw it in the back of the 722 and program in your local channels to receive your locals in HD if you get good antenna reception in your area. Press menu and then 6-9 on the remote. You'll be able to scan OTA channels. Then just add them to your guide. This will come in handy during bad weather also. I live in tornado alley and it's always nice to be able watch the news when the satellite goes out.

Last edited:
I would think you could go get a antenna and screw it in the back of the 722 and program in your local channels to receive your locals in HD if you get good antenna reception in your area. Press menu and then 6-9 on the remote. You'll be able to scan OTA channels. Then just add them to your guide. This will come in handy during bad weather also. I live in tornado alley and it's always nice to be able watch the news when the satellite goes out.

Well that's because that is all we can watch, because our Hollywood weathermen/women like to take over the airwaves whenever a dark cloud breaks over the panhandle. :rant:

An antenna is a good idea, as in addition to being able to watch locals when weather may have blocked the satellite signal, you will also be able to get any subchannels your locals may be broadcasting, that Dish doesn't carry. i.e RTV, Thistv, AntennaTV, MeTv, CoolTv etc....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts