Question re antenna and coverage

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lake Bonaparte Dad

Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
adirondacks
Hi Folks, First off, sorry about the lack of detail in this question. I'm sure I'm missing something important.

I have a camp in upstate NY that we use only in the summer.
We have a DISH system (not sure what type, but it is standard def TV and one LNB - if that's the right term?). We do not have a clear view of the sky other than to the west (and that is limited by trees in places)

We never seem to get all the channels we subscribe to. We only receive Sat 119. Each year I have to reposition the antenna because it is on a dock that gets shifted around a bit from the ice.

I was up there yesterday and tried to set things up. I forgot to bring the new credit card thing they mailed me this summer. I only received the NASA channel.

I guess my question is: Should I buy a new antenna (Dish 500) that tunes multiple satellites? Should I expect to get more channels than what I currently receive? I have the "Classic Gold" package with HBO and Showtime added on.

Any advice would be appreciated. I suppose you might think I should just bag it and go fishing, but on rainy days it sure helps to keep the kids entertained.

Thanks in advance

get a 500

Hi Folks, First off, sorry about the lack of detail in this question. I'm sure I'm missing something important.

I have a camp in upstate NY that we use only in the summer.
We have a DISH system (not sure what type, but it is standard def TV and one LNB - if that's the right term?). We do not have a clear view of the sky other than to the west (and that is limited by trees in places)

We never seem to get all the channels we subscribe to. We only receive Sat 119. Each year I have to reposition the antenna because it is on a dock that gets shifted around a bit from the ice.

I was up there yesterday and tried to set things up. I forgot to bring the new credit card thing they mailed me this summer. I only received the NASA channel.

I guess my question is: Should I buy a new antenna (Dish 500) that tunes multiple satellites? Should I expect to get more channels than what I currently receive? I have the "Classic Gold" package with HBO and Showtime added on.

Any advice would be appreciated. I suppose you might think I should just bag it and go fishing, but on rainy days it sure helps to keep the kids entertained.

Thanks in advance

get a dish 500

Thanks,
I suppose it probably depends on my receiver (and I have no idea what receiver I have except it is about 3 years old and 240 miles away) but....

Should I get a "legacy" Dish 500 or the regular one?

I have no intent to hook up a second tv but I may go HD someday.

Do I need a switch too?

Is there a decent FAQ for these issues?

A dish 500 looks at 2 satellites 119 and 110. Most basic programming is on the 119 satellite which is lower on the horizon. The dish 500 is harder to aim because you need to find 2 satellites. Legacy electronics is older technology than Dish Pro and Dish Pro Plus is the latest version. For your described usage, rainy days and couple of summer months I wopuld say your dish 300 with 119 is all you need.

Nearly all the channels in Bronze and Silver are at 119°, but most of the gold channels that aren't in the lower packages are at 110°. This is why the simple dish doesn't get all the channels you subscribe to.

Get a Dish 500 with a legacy twin LNB (Not Dual) and it will be compatible with everything. A DishPro Twin would be better, but you need a newer receiver. What model receiver do you have? It's on the "INFO" screen.

Thanks for the advice.

As Boba suggested I think I'll stick with what I have for this week (heading up w/the family Tuesday for vacation) and, if I remember to bring the new card, check out what I have. Maybe I'll change my sub from Gold to Silver.

And, now that TNGTony told me what to get, I'll keep an eye on craigslist for something used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts