Question regarding 222 vs 222k

sailwind

Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
California
I'm trying to decide whether to go for a 222 at a cheap price or 222k. Aside from the color difference, are there any PQ difference or things that will limit my set up?

OTA: Just a simple HD coax antenna for local channels

TV1:
HDMI, would like to watch both OTA and Dish channels

TV2:
Upstairs, coax. Would like to watch dish + OTA local. It's okay if the OTA is not HD.

Questions:
1) Would a 222 satisfy my needs?
2) Is there significant PQ increase with 222k?
3) Do I need to pay anything to swap out my current 322?
4) Do I need to pay a HD receiver fee even if I don't have HD programming subscribed? (Just need local HD for now. May upgrade to dish HD later).

Thanks much.

my adivce to you is to get a regular 222. the 222k does not come with the OTA module and they are 50 bucks. The only difference between the two is the 222K has the 21.0 learning remotes. And as a current customer there are no promos going on right now. I just tried to exchange my 2 receivers for a 722 and they told me i would have to buy the 722. and as long as you don't suscribe to HD you will not be charged for it, but its never a bad idea to watch your bill, never know what those CSR's are going to do.

. the 222k does not come with the OTA module and they are 50 bucks.

Nope. $29.99. It does pass OTA to TV2. 222 does not. And the learning remote is definitely worth having.
Yes, you will pay receiver fee, HD or no HD.

Last edited:
222k is Black and slightly smaller then the 222.

222 Dimensions : 16 W x 13 D x 3.5 H
Weight : 11 lbs.

222k Dimensions : 16 W x 12.5 D x 3.5 H
Weight : 8.5 lbs. (9 lbs with OTA Module)

Nope. $29.99. It does pass OTA to TV2. 222 does not. And the learning remote is definitely worth having.
Yes, you will pay receiver fee, HD or no HD.

Ugh, I have to pay a receiver fee even if I have my own receiver? Yuck. Do I have to call dish to activate it?

What's so special about the learning remote?

This post seem to suggest that it can be done. Although I'm confused by what he means in doing a reverse splitter.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1672414-post6.html

In my current setup I think it's using a modulator to control the TV channels upstairs.

That was about combining the antenna cable with the TV2 line. It would then need to be split out to go directly to TV (IF it had a second cable/antenna connection).

So that means it combines the OTA antenna coax with the TV2 out coax, then the upstairs TV uses its own HD tuner to interpret the local HD channels and watch dish TV2 on channel 60, is that right?

Ugh, I have to pay a receiver fee even if I have my own receiver? Yuck. Do I have to call dish to activate it?

yes and yes

you have always had to pay a extra receiver fee regardless if owned or leased (past the 1st receiver)

You need to call Dish to activate it or you dont get any channels ;)

yes and yes

you have always had to pay a extra receiver fee regardless if owned or leased (past the 1st receiver)

You need to call Dish to activate it or you dont get any channels ;)

That's the thing, it's not an extra receiver. I'm replacing the only 322 receiver that I have in the house. Does Dish still charge if the first and only receiver is a HD receiver?

Hmm... thanks for the info. I used to have a second 322 that I didn't have to pay for as long as I have a phone line hooked up to it. I guess that was because it was part of basepack too?

To get back to your original Questions,

Yes you may have to pay to upgrade from a 322-222
Cost could Be Free/24 month commitment,up to $100.

PQ between all the VIP HD receivers I've never see any difference. I've Had every one but the 722,and 222k.
722k,622,612,222,211,211k were the same as far as PQ. So I dout the other 2 would be any different.

You can combind OTA and Satellite, as already mentioned.
I don't use OTA so your best bet if you need more help on that subject feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

Give us a heads up on what programming you have ,or what programming your thinking of getting,and we can help you with the channels and prices if you need it.

Hmm... thanks for the info. I used to have a second 322 that I didn't have to pay for as long as I have a phone line hooked up to it. I guess that was because it was part of basepack too?
The Phone Line Fee has been dropped as of Feb 1st.
They have new fees in effect.
If you Have 1 duo receiver, No charge, If you have 2 on your account, the 2nd will now cost you $14.

Thanks for the offer to help. This is what I have right now:

1 322 duo receiver
1 Classic Bronze (the cheapest one, 120 channels I think) + local
Great wall package

--
I want to change to

1 222 HD duo receiver
Same basic Bronze (120) package, no local or HD. local hd provided by OTA
Great wall.

So it sounds like to convert to the HD receiver I would have to pay $70 (craigslist) for the receiver and $14/month for the supposed 2nd receiver? $14 a month is quite a price to pay just for a HD capable receiver and HDMI input (HDMI is primary reason for upgrade).

Thanks for the offer to help. This is what I have right now:

1 322 duo receiver
1 Classic Bronze (the cheapest one, 120 channels I think) + local
Great wall package

--
I want to change to

1 222 HD duo receiver
Same basic Bronze (120) package, no local or HD. local hd provided by OTA
Great wall.

So it sounds like to convert to the HD receiver I would have to pay $70 (craigslist) for the receiver and $14/month for the supposed 2nd receiver? $14 a month is quite a price to pay just for a HD capable receiver and HDMI input (HDMI is primary reason for upgrade).

aren't you deactivating the 322? the $14/month is if you have a second active receiver on your account.

We would like to introduce changes that you will see on your billing statement beginning February 2010.

We have made changes to the layout of your bill which will hopefully make it easier to read.

Some of our programming packages have new names: Classic Bronze 100, Classic Silver 200 and Classic Gold 250 are now America’s Top 120, America’s Top 200, and America’s Top 250. TurboHD Bronze, TurboHD Silver, and TurboHD Gold are now DISH America, DISH America Silver and DISH America Gold.
DISH is pleased to announce that we are not changing prices on our core programming packages at a time when other pay TV providers are increasing their prices.

With DISH, there is no monthly fee for your first receiver which, in some cases, may operate two TVs. For each additional receiver beyond the first, we have combined what was previously up to three separate fees per receiver, into one fee per receiver. To give you the best pricing if you have multiple receivers, we will always consider the receiver with the highest monthly fee as your first.
Receiver FamilyMonthly Fee for Each
Receiver Beyond the First
  • Duo DVR Receiver $17
  • Duo Receiver $14
  • Solo DVR Receiver $10
  • Solo Receiver $7
When combined with our programming and compared against other pay TV providers, we continue to provide the best value in the pay TV industry.

DVR SERVICE

If you have a DVR receiver on your account, the $5.98/mo. DVR fee for your first DVR receiver has been replaced with an account DVR Service fee of $6.00/mo.

SERVICE PLAN

DISH Home Protection Plan (DHPP) is now called the Service Plan and some charges have been modified.
DHPP (old)Service Plan (new)
Monthly Premium for plan
$5.99 old $6 new
Technician Visit without plan
$99 old $95 new
Technician Visit with plan
(Co-Pay)$29 old $15 new
Shipping cost without plan
$14.95 old $15 new
Shipping cost with plan
(Co-Pay)$0 $0​

Technician visits include:
  • Visits to install new DISH Network equipment
  • Visits associated with a move
  • All other visits
DVR/LOCALS BUNDLE

The DVR/Locals bundle package is no longer available. You will see the monthly DVR Service listed separately at $6.00/mo.

CREDITS TO YOUR ACCOUNT

You have participated in a long-running promotional offer where you received discounted pricing on your 2-TV receivers by connecting them to a phone line. That promotional offer expired on January 31st. Because you are a valued customer, we have provided receiver credits on your account for six months.

So that means it combines the OTA antenna coax with the TV2 out coax, then the upstairs TV uses its own HD tuner to interpret the local HD channels and watch dish TV2 on channel 60, is that right?
Right. But you may need to set TV2 to another channel pending your OTA channel numbers.

sailwind, are you clear now about the fees. Especially the part about NONE if you only have one activated receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts