Question regarding vga and hdmi for 360

jollygrunt

Arsenal Fan
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 16, 2005
Republic of Texas
Almost a year ago, I purchased what at the time was the elite version of the 360, with the 20gb HD. It came with the Component HD cables, and I bought the s-video cables since that was the best that my old TV could use. I just recently purchased an HDTV and started using the component HD cables, but since I don't want to buy a separate upconverting DVD player, I want to buy either the VGA HD cables now or wait for the HDMI cables if, and when, they become available.

What I want to know is:

Is there much of a difference between the VGA cables and the HDMI cables as to what they can output?
Are the HDMI cables going to be available for the older 360's or just the newer cooler models?

No difference between VGA & HDMI in terms of what they can output. Both support 1080p with HD-DVDs and upscale DVDs. Neither of which component can do.

I doubt there will be HDMI cables for the older 360s.

Given there are newer models of 360s that do now have HDMI, I don't think we'll ever see one for the older systems.

VGA will be fine for your needs IMO, should look near-identical. VGA even has the new options to adjust the black level or whatever since that is an issue for some TVs.

I looked on Amazon, and saw that they were selling elite 360's with the HDMI cables included. (Actually, all the 360's except for the core model.)

So that got me wondering if Microsoft was going to make the HDMI cables available for slightly older systems like mine?

If not, then I'm going to go ahead and buy the VGA cables.

Thanks for the information.

Elite's have never had a 20gig HDD and all of them come or came with a HDMI cable.

I looked on Amazon, and saw that they were selling elite 360's with the HDMI cables included. (Actually, all the 360's except for the core model.)

So that got me wondering if Microsoft was going to make the HDMI cables available for slightly older systems like mine?

If not, then I'm going to go ahead and buy the VGA cables.

Thanks for the information.

Pick up the VGA, no real need to reinvest in a new console, or wait for something that hasn't even been hinted at. Your SKU is essentially discontinued at this point.

Okay I bought the microsoft hd vga cable, now I've got a question about the display setting. When I was using the component hd cables, in the console display setting it listed the available picture settings, i.e., 480p, 720p and 1080i. When I use the vga cable, it doesn't show those settings. Instead, it lists pc display settings from 640x480 up to 1920x1080. Is that normal for the vga cables?

Thanks again for the advice and information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)