QUESTION - What Bugs or Usability Issues do you have with your Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have noticed that if I am watching a recording at the same time that all 3 tuners are in use, if I try to delete that recording it won't delete. It goes through the delete sequence, but then stays in the DVR listing. In order to delete the recording, I have to first navigate away from the program I was watching, then delete it.
Did you "Stop" the recording first ?

PITA Problem, the EHD is not recognized. I have tried three different brands/sizes.
Hopper Locks up (freezes) couple times per hour, for 5-20 secs, then jumps to real time, without any intervention from a human.
This is when watching live TV. Haven't noticed this when watching a recording.
Cannot program more than 2 remotes to control the Hopper. The one that came with it, and one that was on my 922. The other 922 remote cannot be linked
to the Hopper.
Certainly need more control over the PTAT recordings.
This morning, (after a week of having the system) the Hopper was reset to factory...none of the 3 joeys linked, remotes not linked, but recordings still there.

PITA Problem, the EHD is not recognized. I have tried three different brands/sizes.
Hopper Locks up (freezes) couple times per hour, for 5-20 secs, then jumps to real time, without any intervention from a human.
This is when watching live TV. Haven't noticed this when watching a recording.
Cannot program more than 2 remotes to control the Hopper. The one that came with it, and one that was on my 922. The other 922 remote cannot be linked
to the Hopper.
Certainly need more control over the PTAT recordings.
This morning, (after a week of having the system) the Hopper was reset to factory...none of the 3 joeys linked, remotes not linked, but recordings still there.
Make sure all your 922 remotes are keyed to address 1, and hold it very close to the antenna when pairing.

Ask DIRT to send a hit to your hopper to fix the EHD issue.

Not sure about the freezes, but definitely not normal. Mine hasn't locked up in 2 months. Bad alignment possibly.

I have noticed that if I am watching a recording at the same time that all 3 tuners are in use, if I try to delete that recording it won't delete. It goes through the delete sequence, but then stays in the DVR listing. In order to delete the recording, I have to first navigate away from the program I was watching, then delete it.

I suspect it is going to stay that way. If you are "connected" to the recording it can't delete it. You probably have to go to a tuner or another recording to be able to delete it.
If that is the case, they at least need to create a warning message or something to indicate why the recording can't be deleted. As it stands right now, it takes you through the whole delete sequence as if the recording has been deleted, but then keeps it in the DVR listing.

Yeah, even the ViP series gives a "In Use" message when trying to delete a recording that is open.

The other day I created a seek & record timer on one of the Hoppers to record anything on TNT (138) that has "Lakers" in the title.

Today, the guide has the Laker game in it at 6:30pm (PDT). The title says "NBA: Lakers at Thunder", but there is nothing in the schedule for it. I have two other things scheduled to record during the game's timeframe (6:30pm - 10:00pm). PTAT is not enabled on that box.

I'm assuming that a seek & record timer is the same as what was called a Dish Pass on previous systems, such as the 722.

Why wouldn't this work? Also, why can't I edit a seek & record timer? Not that I need to, but why can't I?

When adding a lot of timers and events on the Hopper via a Joey, the Hopper will sometimes break down and erase all events. All the timers will be there, but every single one says "No Events Scheduled" until you delete and re-add the timer. I've tried waiting for the nightly reboot to fix it, but it doesn't. I have to manually delete and re-add all of my timers. S211/S263.

Oh, and to add to my previous post, when trying to add new timers on one of the Hoppers, popup 531 "Please wait while we search for events that match your request." won't go away until about 45 seconds after I schedule a recording. Then, when it finally does go away, the timer still doesn't show up. Going to reset it, I'm sure that will fix it, but yeah it's a problem.

EDIT: Resetting did not fix it... Great, now I cant add anymore timers.

EDIT2: It's just plain being weird. Now suddenly it's letting me schedule timers.

Last edited:
Recently (5/10) installed 2 Hoppers and a Joey, replacing a 922, 722, and 622. I have an EHD with about 400 recordings, most from the 922 with some from the 722.

When I connected the EHD to a Hopper, it connected okay and I can see everything on it. However, I've discovered the following problems:

• The recorded date (or air date) on every recording says Sat 02/06/2106 when looking at the description at the top of My Recordings.
  • When pressing Info from My Recordings, the Record Date on every one is 02/06/06 10:28pm. The First Aired date is correct.
  • When watching a recording and pressing Info the Air Date is accurate.
  • When sorting the recordings by DVR Date, they are in the proper order, so it does know the real date/time.
  • When grouping Folders by Title, the latest episode number and date usually don't match the last one recorded. It sometimes uses the second to last episode and sometimes uses a much earlier episode.
  • On most of the recordings there is no title. When looking at the info at the top of the screen in My Recordings, the title should be on the second line, but for most recordings the second line is blank. When pressing Info from My Recordings, the title should be on the same line as the episode number, but on the same recordings it is missing (the episode number is there). For some recordings where the title is missing, the title is present in the synopsis, but for most it is not. There doesn't seem to be a pattern for any of this, as different episodes of the same show sometimes have the title and sometimes doesn't. Some shows from the same network have titles while others don't.
  • When looking at the info at the top of the screen in My Recordings or pressing Info from My Recordings the synopsis of the show is accurate (it matches the content of the show when I watch it), but when watching a recording and pressing Info the synopsis is different and seems to match an episode that aired earlier in the season (but one I don't currently have in my recordings).
  • When playing a recording, then either stopping it with the stop button or if it finishes and I choose to delete it, it returns to My Recordings set to My Hopper instead of External Device 1. It should return to where I left off.
  • I can't transfer PTAT recordings to the EHD. They don't show up in the list when selecting recordings to transfer.
  • When the Hopper checks for updates and reboots at 1AM, it first pops up a dialog informing me that it is doing a System Integrity Check. It says that it can take up to 10 minutes, but it always takes 33-34 minutes. The light on the EHD is blinking rapidly during this time, indicating that it is being accessed by the Hopper. When the dialog finally goes away, it then goes through the reboot/startup process. The other Hopper, which doesn't have an EHD connected, does not pop up this dialog, and it finishes the update/reboot in about 2 or 3 minutes.

If I record an episode on the Hopper and then transfer it to the EHD, it also has all of these problems. If I transfer a recording from the EHD to the Hopper it retains these problems.

Here's a pet peeve left over from the 922: When viewing My Recordings by anything other than Folders by Title and then changing from My Hopper to External Device 1 or from External Device 1 to My Hopper, it changes from that other setting (such as No Folders) to Folders by Title. This needs to not automatically change.

Here's a new pet peeve regarding different behavior on the Hopper versus the 922: When viewing My Recordings and pressing Info, the cursor now defaults to focusing on Watch instead of Close. Those of us that had 922s for a long time now watch things we're not quite ready to watch when we just wanted to look at the info.

Make sure all your 922 remotes are keyed to address 1, and hold it very close to the antenna when pairing.

Ask DIRT to send a hit to your hopper to fix the EHD issue.

Not sure about the freezes, but definitely not normal. Mine hasn't locked up in 2 months. Bad alignment possibly.

Tks for info, but no dice on the remote. Was thinking it may have tobe "un-linked" from the 922, but the other one didn't. I just spent 1/2 hour, changed batteries, unlinked
922 remote (32.0) that works, and the one that came with system. The Hopper just flat does not "see" the remote on 1 or 2. The remote will control volume on the Denon,
but, of course, it's IR, so maybe the RF crapped out. Don't have a scope to chk with.

TV been on over 3 hours this am and not one lock up that I noticed.

Will try to figure out who/what DIRT is, and send a message...new and not up on this forum.

Thanks

dontpanic said:
Recently (5/10) installed 2 Hoppers and a Joey, replacing a 922, 722, and 622. I have an EHD with about 400 recordings, most from the 922 with some from the 722.

When I connected the EHD to a Hopper, it connected okay and I can see everything on it. However, I've discovered the following problems:

[*]I can't transfer PTAT recordings to the EHD. They don't show up in the list when selecting recordings to transfer.

PTAT recordings must be saved to the user partition first. Once they are older than 8 days and no longer available on the PTAT side of things, they can be transferred to EHD. (during the first 8 days they are not really saved to the user partition, a pointer to the PTAT recording is just created)

Hope that helps with that one!

Tks for info, but no dice on the remote. Was thinking it may have tobe "un-linked" from the 922, but the other one didn't. I just spent 1/2 hour, changed batteries, unlinked
922 remote (32.0) that works, and the one that came with system. The Hopper just flat does not "see" the remote on 1 or 2. The remote will control volume on the Denon,
but, of course, it's IR, so maybe the RF crapped out. Don't have a scope to chk with.

TV been on over 3 hours this am and not one lock up that I noticed.

Will try to figure out who/what DIRT is, and send a message...new and not up on this forum.

Thanks
I have three 32.0 remotes paired. As someone else mentioned, you have to stand virtually on top of the Hopper to pair. In my experience, it will not work unless you're within 1-2 feet of it.

If you haven't stood that close to it, give that a try.

I have an odd issue with one of the tuners on my Hopper right now. I started to watch a DVR recording right as PTAT was starting and it froze up. I hit the red button and switched the tuner and started the program again and all was well. But now on the red screen it shows one of the available tuners as in use in the living room but with No Information Available and 0 minutes left. I cannot clear this with the Joey or PIP and cannot access the tuner. I think a reboot will fix it but I cannot do that until PTAT is done at 10 pm.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

When adding a lot of timers and events on the Hopper via a Joey, the Hopper will sometimes break down and erase all events. All the timers will be there, but every single one says "No Events Scheduled" until you delete and re-add the timer. I've tried waiting for the nightly reboot to fix it, but it doesn't. I have to manually delete and re-add all of my timers. S211/S263.

This issue happened on the 922 too. It's extremely frustrating. The easiest way to fix a timer that does this is to edit the timer to be Auto Tune instead of DVR, save it, and then change it back to DVR, and save it again. At least then, you don't have to completely erase the timer. It seems to be random for me as to which timers are affected by it and unfortunately, I only notice it if something didn't record that should have. If you are super diligent about going over the Daily Schedule, you can fix it before something is missed.

This issue happened on the 922 too. It's extremely frustrating. The easiest way to fix a timer that does this is to edit the timer to be Auto Tune instead of DVR, save it, and then change it back to DVR, and save it again. At least then, you don't have to completely erase the timer. It seems to be random for me as to which timers are affected by it and unfortunately, I only notice it if something didn't record that should have. If you are super diligent about going over the Daily Schedule, you can fix it before something is missed.

Yeah I just noticed that last night. Great tip though. Hopefully they'll fix it, but I am happy that there is a (slightly) easier way to fix it when it does that.

3HaloODST said:
Yeah I just noticed that last night. Great tip though. Hopefully they'll fix it, but I am happy that there is a (slightly) easier way to fix it when it does that.

I don't think the hopper has the auto tune option.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)