question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hawaii

Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Honolulu, Oahu
Just moved to Ewa Beach Hawaii and would like to start using fta. I would love to catch any USA, Euro and Japanese programing would be awesome. If you can give me a recommended hardware list it would be appreciated.

Let me know if you want me post and where so others can learn/view.

Thank you

Hi there Hawaii welcome to satelliteguys.us. Its always nice to see new members. I would say talk to Iceberg or to our vendors. SatelliteAV are really nice guys they can help you out also. They have a lot of nice products that can help you out.

Dan Rose

Welcome to the site. Yes post all the specifics you want and let us know how it is going. And feel free to ask ask ask questions, we are here to help! :)

Thank you, I did contact satelliteav and asked if they would estimate shipping to Hawaii. Shipping prices can be pretty high to Hawaii.
I did find some alternatives and wanted your feedback. Locally on craiglist, there are few ads selling 1.2cm dish for $50 that are originally made by and for direct tv (click picture to enlarge). This is the most common dish on the island. My question can I change the Direct TV LNBs to a standard LNB easily?
My second question: if I get a Invacom Circular/Linear Ku 0.3 dB Quad LNBF QPH-031[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]with 40mm neck, will it get more FTA stations since it can get circular and linear?
[/FONT]:confused: Thank you
3G53K83N45Ie5G15M1d1na9f6b6438f8d1eb0.jpg

Last edited:
the dish would be good size for KU band. FTA signals are linear they are different than dish or direct but FTA offers different programming. Also what do you watch sports, general programming, news. there is a site called satbeams.com you can look where your at on the globe and use lyngsat.com to find out which satellite to chose from. I watch galaxy 19 at 97w cause it has the most programming on it for free. you have any questions just ask us we are here to help. But just take small steps then when you get your feet wet then it will be fun.

Dan Rose

Hawaii, that dish would be fine for and KU-band reception but it would not get you much C-band reception since you need at lest a 6 foot dish. I suggest you go to these two sites and see what satellite footprints actually cover where you live. This will then give you a good idea of what Ku and C band programming you can receive and help you choose what type of dish you need.

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

http://www.lyngsat.com/

Yes, the LNBF can be changed. I'd get the Ku PLL model:
http://satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1613&ws_cat=433

No, I don't think circular reception will do you any good.
5 years ago was a different time.
Today, it's a waste of money.

We have a few members on the island.
Hope one of them chimes in.
Most of the rest of us are on the mainland, and wouldn't be familiar with your specific conditions.

My second question: if I get a Invacom Circular/Linear Ku 0.3 dB Quad LNBF QPH-031with 40mm neck, will it get more FTA stations since it can get circular and linear?

Theres really nothing on circular that i know of (anyone else chime in if im wrong) youd probably be better off with satAV's pll lnb. Thats what i would do anyway.

Thank you gentlemen for you advice thus far. Once reading the responses, I started to go after the parts for my 1st FTA build. I picked up GeoSatPro SL1PLL LNBF and a GeoSat MicroHD. I had no success yet with the Craigslist ads DTV 120cm yet. Eventually one will turn up, but I am anxious since getting some of the parts. So, I started to look at satelliteAV inventory and other sellers on eBay comparing prices/shipping costs to Hawaii (shipping usually costs more than the item). Here are my new questions:
1) As I look around, the 90cm Dish is very popular cost friendly with shipping. Will that get the job done or should I focus on 120cm and wait a little and keep searching?
2) I wanted to get a motor - which one is recommended? I been reading descriptions that say made in Italy, plastic gears or metal gears.
3) Mounting question - There is a back porch wood post 5 1/2 by 5 1/2 that would be nice to attach the dish. It is located (by exit of back of townhouse 2flrs) facing the Eastern Satellites to the half of South (then house blocks the rest as you go west). Is there good way to attach? An alternative, could be to put a tripod or make bucket of cement with a pole (which I read about). Thank all of you for insights and expertise!

Last edited:
1) a 1.2 has about twice the area of a 90cm. Doubling the area results in around 3db increase. Not much, but may be a factor in some weaker signals. (Make or break?) Should do well enough while the search continues. (I LUV my 1.2's)

2) Have read many members recommending the STAB HH100 & HH90.

3) Wooden posts tend to swell and shrink with changing weather conditions. May or may not adversely effect reception. So you can only try it.
Buckets of cement are a nice easy solution for a temporary set up. More permanent would be a base approx 1.5 times the dish width weighted with cement blocks/ sandbags etc. examples: BAIRD NPRM
Home made pallet NPRM:
wood_pallet.jpg

But even these tend to "move"
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r16569875-DW6000-frequently-have-to-power-cycle-to-reconnect
Metal is the best, although, I have a 1.2 on crossed 2x6's. I do notice some degradation when it "moves".
Think a deck post, holding up a deck, may move less, as it's attached to other 'parts'.

one lizards opinion

Not having first hand experience of Hawaiian signal levels, I could say only that: bigger is better.
We have people on the mainland using 30" dishes, and while I don't recommend 'em, they seem happy.

As for motors... STAB HH90 for 90cm.
Your 1.2m dish would need a STAB HH120.
If those prices are out of range, consider the DG320 from Sadoun for the 1.2.

Your choice of microHD receiver and PLL LNBF from SatelliteAV, are to be commended! :)

I will go with 120cm dish, STAB HH120 motor and (create) a concrete steel post for mounting - based on your opinions. So far quotes for shipping a 120cm to Hawaii is $280 (it costs $45 to mainland). One option might be to have it shipped to family on mainland and then have them mail it to me USPS?

Another option is to buy from a local dish installer. Actually, he is the only dish installer here. He responded to my email today. I asked him if he could sell me 120cm dish from his inventory. I copied and pasted part of the email:
I do have some 1.2s in stock.
Just so that you know – The dishes that I currently have out in the field for FTA are 1.0’s.
I have a special adapter that will work for FTA LNBF’s for 1.2 mtr prodeline (sp) dishes if you do indeed want a good high quality ‘skewable’ dish
I also have a ‘non skewable’ sheet metal 1.2 mtr dish, winegard brand I believe that will more then suit your needs.
I am uncertain if the winegard 1.2 mtr dish is complete or not OR if I have the components/adapters that will fit a universal KA/KU LNBF.
Can anyone help me translate. Should I pursue? Which one of his options sound good?
Thank you - I have learned a lot from all your comments and thoughts.

Prodelin makes some of the best ku dishes
Winegard makes some good ku dishes
check his prices for sure. both would be better than most others.
good luck

ps: local dish installer ask him if he can demo how the 1 meter works out there. if he can ask if it's a motor set-up.
and we can give input of sat & stations to look at before you go..

Last edited:
The Winegard is almost certainly a 1.0 meter dish (never heard of a 1.2 meter Winegard).

Still, the Winegard is a very good dish, and probably the better choice if motorizing. The Prodelins are better, but are very heavy and nearly impossible to motorize.

Thank you for all your comments. Yesterday, I visited a guy who dismantled his DTV 120cm dish. The shape was not a circle but more of an egg shape. I tried to lift it but it was very heavy.
Are the DTV dishes heavier than say the GeoSat of same size? Maybe these DTV dishes can not be put on a motor due to weight?

been there, and we wrote the book

Some years ago, there was a big thread about putting (heavy) Primestar dishes (molded & made by Channel Master, now Andrew) on the relatively medium sized 2100 motor of the day.
Look up that thread (or two), and you'll see that one way to reduce dish weight, is to remove the heavy mount, and substitute a simple bracket!
Everything you need to know has been published...with a myriad of clever and thoughtful variations. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)