Questions about coming back?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Longjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Would like to consider coming back to DirecTV, but have some questions after talking with them.
My situation would require an HD dish (Slimline 5?), with 2 feeds, one to one side of the home, which would feed 1 HD and 1 SD TV, and the other feed would go to a distribution panel that in turn feeds 3 HD sets on the other side of the house. Is this a problem?
Years ago, I installed my own DirecTV system and would like to do that again, but DirecTV says they no longer allow that and I have to use thier installers.
Is this correct?
Also, since I would be coming on board fresh, what receivers, promotions should I be aware of that might offer the best overall pricing? Since I'm a Costco memebr, and am open to buying another TV, does that make sense for that rebate, or are there others that are better?
Thanks in advance for any input and guidance.

Since you'll need to support 5 tuners (no DVRs) you need either the SWM LNB or the 4 output LNB Slimline. In either case, the lines will need to go to the distro panel. At that location you'll either have an SWM splitter or a regular multiswitch. Then you can distribute to the receivers.

The SWM will be advantageous as you'll only need one line to one end of the house where the line can be split to feed the two receivers at that end.

DirecTV must do the install as the Slimline is not an easy alignment.

I'm unfamiliar with the current new customer deals.

Thanks for the quick response, but the biggest issue here is that it will be
MUCH easier to go from dish to far side of house. In fact it may well be unfeasible to try and go from distribution panel to far side of house. Can the dish signal be split to 2 lines to go to far side house and distribution panel? Thx

This is how I would do it.

SWiM slimline dish. You will need to run 1 line to a SWiM 4( may require an SWiM 8) splitter at location 1. that feeds the HD and SD. then out of the SWiM 4 you have 4 outs, 1 hd 1 sd then a line going to the other side of house, where you have a second SWiM 4 splitter for the other 3 recievers.

should be cool and even have 1 extra output on each location.

do a google search for SWiM directv and you will find the PDF.

Last edited:
DirecTV must do the install as the Slimline is not an easy alignment.
The tolerances are much tighter, but the procedure is essentially the same.

The real reason DIRECTV discourages new self-installs is that they don't want to have to support someone who might not be set up optimally (carefully peaked dish aiming, suitable cable and connectors, etc.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)