Questions about ordering

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mike752

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I'm thinking of ordering DirecTV, and figure this is the best place for asking these questions.

1) Is there any advantage on ordering online instead of over the phone or vice versa?

2) I currently have Comcast Standard Cable in my house. There is one line coming into my house from the street, which is split two ways (one line for the first floor and one for the second). Each of the two lines is then split three more ways, which run to my six TVs. Do I need my house rewired in any way?

In case this matters, I'm thinking of getting the CHOICE Package with HD, two HD Receivers and three standard receivers (I'm going to disconnect one of my Standard-Def TVs because I never use it).

Thank you for your help!

Hope this helps start you off.

I'm thinking of ordering DirecTV, and figure this is the best place for asking these questions.

1) Is there any advantage on ordering online instead of over the phone or vice versa?

I prefer online ordering. You should get the same deals regardless.

2) I currently have Comcast Standard Cable in my house. There is one line coming into my house from the street, which is split two ways (one line for the first floor and one for the second). Each of the two lines is then split three more ways, which run to my six TVs. Do I need my house rewired in any way?

Do you currently use those lines for high-speed internet too. If so, are you going to keep that? If so, You would need to re-cable for the DBS. If not, you might just need some simple modifications to allow the DBS to use those lines. THIS may be the best reason to CALL. Get everything in writing and make sure you know what is happening BEFORE you agree to anything.

In case this matters, I'm thinking of getting the CHOICE Package with HD, two HD Receivers and three standard receivers (I'm going to disconnect one of my Standard-Def TVs because I never use it).

Thank you for your help!

I don't think one clearly has an advantage over another, but if you order by phone, you may be able to convince the representative to throw in something to sweeten the deal (perhaps an HD DVR box, free NFL Sunday Ticket, etc). If you order online, you get what you see with no chance to improve your order.

Direct TV usually offers free installation. Assuming you call and order, let them know that you need complete installation and don't mention that you already have things wired. Your wiring may be enough, but you're better off on the side of caution. If you tell them that you have things already wired, and they don't put any wiring on the order form, when the tech gets there and notices that one room is wrong, they will not wire it if it is not on the order.

Well TBH the way he is describing his wiring he may need some cabling done that is outside of the free install, unfortunately the CSR will say its free just to get the sale, but be prepared to be quoted extra costs to get some of that cabling brought up to what D* can use.

There is a SWM (single Wire) system you can use but it can only be split once. So more than likely with the rooms upstairs at least 1 additional line would have to be run (2 if you have 3 TV's your using up there).

This is assuming the lines on the 1st floor can be brought to a central location with the ones for upstairs.. ie. the 1st floor splitter location.

I would call on the phone and make sure you can use a single wire solution, order the NFL Sunday Ticket Special and get the free HDDVR (74.95 for 4 months + all premium channels, then drop it down to the Choice HD package after the special expires.

Do you currently use those lines for high-speed internet too. If so, are you going to keep that? If so, You would need to re-cable for the DBS. If not, you might just need some simple modifications to allow the DBS to use those lines. THIS may be the best reason to CALL. Get everything in writing and make sure you know what is happening BEFORE you agree to anything.

No, I have AT&T Phone and DSL. One more question, can I have a guy come out and survey my house, just in case there is anything wrong before I place the order?

You can "catch a D* van" in a parking lot and ask (He is likely to do it for the $100 referral he would get for making a sale to you) or call a local guy in your phone book under Satellite, but he may charge for a survey, D* doesn't supply them for non-commercial accounts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)