Questions about switching to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomfrazier

Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
I am a long time DirectTV subscriber and I don't have any HD equipment at this time.

Today I purchased a Sam 56" 1080p LED DLP TV (Santa was very good to me) but I am very, very... disapointed in the 480p picture quality.:(:(:( Again I have NO HD equipment yet.

I currently own all my own equipment. I have one D*receiver w/ DVR, and 3 Receivers w/o DVR. I also have a multiswitch and a dual LNB dish.

I want to move my current DVR receiver to the bedroom and install a new HD receiver with DVR in the family room.

What is the most cost effective way for me to upgrade?

Upgrade through D*?

Go to BB or CC and upgrade/buy equipment?

Get equipment online?

What about my dish? I will have to upgrade it but I don't think BB/CC caries them. Where do I get the dish?

What about my multiswitch?

Will my current equipment work with the new dish and again what about the multiswitch?

What are some of the best HD DVR's?

Can I replace the HD in these HD DVR's?

Can I replace the hard drive in leased equipment.

Regards,
Tom

OOPS: Posted in wrong forum please move to HD forum or DVR forum

Last edited:
Best bet is to work an upgrade via DirecTV over the phone. Document everything and get copies of your deal emailed or faxed to you BEFORE you agree/finalize.

You will need the new dish as well. If you need more than 4 line (tuners) then you will need a new multi-switch too.

Current units will work (backward compatibility).

They have 2 HD-DVRS (HR20 & HR21) the difference is the 21 does not have a built-in ATSC tuner.

I am sure you could replace the HDD, but I bet that will void all warranty, and maybe your contract/EULA. (not sure)

The most cost effective way would be to call Direct. BB or CC could sell you the HDDVR, but that price is going to be $299. You would have to call Direct anyway to have the dish and multiswitch installed.

There might be a cost to run a second line for the DVR in the bedroom.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)