Questions about tailgate setup with 3 lnb dish and D12 Rcvr (SD and Locals)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Im weighing a lot of options for football next year, and like one of the kits these guys have:

http://www.satelliteoasis.com/directv-triple-lnbf-satellite-dish-tripod-kit-for-rv-tailgating/

I need a 3 LNB for locals. Im currently in Mobile but would be tailgating in Tallahassee at the stadium. The need is other fball games so locals are really a must in case one we want to see is on CBS or ABC vs ESPN.

I was going to grab a D12 rcvr which I know works. My question is, when I setup on site, what are the easiest tools for aligning the dish? Phone app? Will the rcvr tell me azimuth/elevation/skew?

I reckon once I get everything other than direction setup the first trip, it will be a no brainer each following time.

Your SD locals in Mobile are on the 119 satellite so you would need a 5lnb dish not a 3LNB.
The locals are on spotbeams so it's just possible that you won't be able to get the Mobile locals in Tallahassee, I am not sure if the Mobile spotbeam reaches that far. And you can't switch to the Tallahassee locals.

IMHO the best way to get alignment, since you know where you are going, is to use dishpointer.com to get the alignment info before you leave.

Thanks.

May just be best to get the one LNB 18" and watch any local stuff off the Rv OTA antenna then.

mea culpa, I was thinking this was HD but of course it isn't.

You are correct that you would need the Phase III oval dish with the old 3 lnb in order to get 101 and 119. Ignore my comment about 5 LNB!!
it would be nicer to get the Mobile locals on 119 if the spotbeam reaches that far. If it were me, that's what I would try for. It avoids having an OTA antenna and cabling it directly to the TV. But unless someone can confirm the spotbeam reaches that far (it quite possibly does, the SD spotbeams are pretty wide), I would make sure I could use the RV antenna as a fallback.

Last edited:
The RV has one, and access is easy. Really is to just ensure I have access to the Bama game for other family members. If I know its on CBS ahead of time I can just setup for OTA. If its on during the FSU game they will have to use their phone!

Thanks.

May just be best to get the one LNB 18" and watch any local stuff off the Rv OTA antenna then.

Thats where I was going to go, use the RV antenna for locals.

Also, IF you get that set up, skip the meter ... it will see EVERY Sat in the sky, not just the ones you need.

yes, those cheap meters are a waste of time....

Status
Please reply by conversation.