Questions about The Hopper?

PTAT and network overruns

How will PTAT deal with network overruns due to sporting events/presidential news conferences, etc? Is there a setting so that you can record everything for up to an hour past Prime-time, or some sort of buffer/extension to ensure that you don't miss the end of the 9pm (CST) shows?

Also, is there any wizardry in place to ensure that the recording starting at 7pm (let's call it "The Amazing Race") is the full show? What would happen today in cases of football running long is that the recording for the 7pm show (labeled "The Amazing Race") would include the end of the previous show, and then the 60 minute recording marked "The Amazing Race" would end before the actual show ended. The rest of "The Amazing Race" would be in the next scheduled show's allocated time slot (let's say it's "Person of Interest"). So if I were to want to save "The Amazing Race" to my part of the HDD, I would have to move both "The Amazing Race" and "Person of Interest" to ensure I got the end of "The Amazing Race". I would assume that will be the case, but it'd be nice if the networks included some sort of flag to mark the beginning and ending of thier shows that all DVRs could read, and then adjust the recordings accordingly, rather than relying on the program guide.

This has been asked a bunch times. I think all we've been told is that PTAT is padded by 30 minutes automatically and that sporting events cause the padding to extend to an hour. We all know this won't work for CBS and all football and golf overruns, but it'll work for most of them I would think. I'll bet we have to see it in action before being able to judge.

This has been asked a bunch times. I think all we've been told is that PTAT is padded by 30 minutes automatically and that sporting events cause the padding to extend to an hour. We all know this won't work for CBS and all football and golf overruns, but it'll work for most of them I would think. I'll bet we have to see it in action before being able to judge.

Why won't it work for CBS and football? It certainly should...a classic example. Under what scenario do you think it would work if not the prior??

Last edited:
Why won't it work for CBS and football? It certainly should...a classic example. Under what scenario do you think it would work if not the prior??
CBS routinely delays 60 minutes and subsequent programming on Sundays when a sporting event that is well outside the "primetime" hours runs late. We supposedly know they will extend the time if a sports event is inside the primetime window, but are not sure what happens if a 4pm ET ball game runs to 7:45 ET, therefore delaying the entire lineup.

CBS routinely delays 60 minutes and subsequent programming on Sundays when a sporting event that is well outside the "primetime" hours runs late. We supposedly know they will extend the time if a sports event is inside the primetime window, but are not sure what happens if a 4pm ET ball game runs to 7:45 ET, therefore delaying the entire lineup.

I believe you a incorrect. If there is a sporting event that could conceivable delay prime time, ie, Sunday afternoon football, the one hour pad will kick in. Scott has confirmed this several times.

It'd be be perfect if they truly just pushed everything back an hour. My experience where I live is they don't...they start in the middle of an hour, which then causes your recorded shows to be split across two events. I've seen Fox push their Sunday primie-teim back to a 6:30 sechdeuled start, but CBS always claims they start at 6pm, when in reality it's rarely starting before 6:15-6:20 for normal games, and much later for OT games.

I believe you a incorrect. If there is a sporting event that could conceivable delay prime time, ie, Sunday afternoon football, the one hour pad will kick in. Scott has confirmed this several times.
Hopefully so, but it is unconfirmed until seen in practice. Current timers do not behave this way.

It'd be be perfect if they truly just pushed everything back an hour. My experience where I live is they don't...they start in the middle of an hour, which then causes your recorded shows to be split across two events. I've seen Fox push their Sunday primie-teim back to a 6:30 sechdeuled start, but CBS always claims they start at 6pm, when in reality it's rarely starting before 6:15-6:20 for normal games, and much later for OT games.

The "THEY" here is not the networks, it's DISH padding the network transponder feeds by one hour.

Hopefully so, but it is unconfirmed until seen in practice. Current timers do not behave this way.

Current timers aren't PTAT either. So of course there will be differences. What I think is really up in the air- how well will such a feature work?

I am betting that they just always record one hour extra, but do not want to say anything about it or people will complain that it did not record the news because it got delayed... It will be interesting to get them in the field and play with them. If they do record an extra hour, perhaps on the last show you can always go another hour past the end.

Doesn't matter of all the speculations - they did that by own way. You'll need just wait for a couple weeks to get knowledge of FACTUAL functioning and settings.

Football has gone very long at times with overtimes and since CBS no longer shortens its schedule, some CBS might not fall within the padding. Usually the overruns are within an hour, but not always. That's why I said it might not work for all overruns on CBS or any other net with delays. Plus we were told that the padding applied if the sporting event was within the primetime schedule. We don't know what happens if the schedule is delayed an hour prior to the start of primetime. That's why I said we'd likely have to wait and see exactly how they have set it up.

This may have been asked and answered already; if so, I missed it. When you choose to save a recording from the PTAT partiotion, do you get the option to always save that show? IE: if Iwant to save NCIS, do I have to do it manually every week out of the PTAT, or can I set it up to always save that show? (I know I can set up an NCIS timer, but that defeats the potential timer conflict resolution of the PTAT function.)

Hello,

In Scott's demo video the nightly local news appeared to be skipped during PTAT (e.g. missing yellow PT icon on "Fox5 News at 10:00PM" show). On the other hand, I have seen another video where a different nightly local news was listed in the PTAT DVR menu. Is nightly local news recorded or not? I think the reason for the difference may be because some news broadcasts aren't in HD? Does PTAT skip shows that aren't in HD even though they are on an HD channel?

Also I've seen several people mention PTAT gets 30 minutes padded each night automatically; what is the a source for this information? And if this is the case, would that mean a non-HD (but on HD channel) local news that runs the half hour after primetime ends would get included at the end of whatever show was last on primetime?

Thanks!

The "THEY" here is not the networks, it's DISH padding the network transponder feeds by one hour.

No, the "they" to which I referred is the networks. They could easily embed a marker at the beginning and ending of each program. If the DVR makers know of that marker, they could rely on that to set the start and end times of programs. It would eliminate any issues with programming delays, shows that run past their allotted time, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts