Questions about The Hopper?

I am still at a loss. I own one of my 722s. So if I go with the H/J setup, my owned 722 is going to be a DoorStop? This is madness on Dish's part.

That door stop might come in handy someday if you decide you want to go back to the 722. One important thing I have learned in satelliteguys.us is that it might be a while to work out problems and the time it takes to bring back lacking features that you want and are not available when new equipment is released to customers. I wanted the 922 when it came out but so thankful I did not get one and I still don't have one. I think the 722k is awesome. Sorry this is not a question about the new Hopper/Joey, but just want customers to be aware of issues that could crop up and you don't want to deal with them.

Not sure what it's called. Some sort of distribution block for coax? Looks a bit like a big splitter with heat sink fins... I think three lines run from the dish to it, but two run from it to inside the house.

That is a switch, and if you currently have two lines running from it to a 722 then it must be a DP34 switch. The Hopper is not compatible with this. The installer will probably replace your current dish with a 1000.2 or 1000.4 and remove that switch. Or maybe just replace the switch with a DPP33 (if he's lucky enough to have one). Either way, all changes will be on the outside of the house. No more cables should have to be run into the house.

I, too, suggest you retread Charles' post.

If you move to Hopper, and don't hear about a change of policy regarding mixed Hopper/ViP setups in the next couple of months, I'd sell that ViP722 quick- before the price drops too much.

That is a switch, and if you currently have two lines running from it to a 722 then it must be a DP34 switch. The Hopper is not compatible with this. The installer will probably replace your current dish with a 1000.2 or 1000.4 and remove that switch. Or maybe just replace the switch with a DPP33 (if he's lucky enough to have one). Either way, all changes will be on the outside of the house. No more cables should have to be run into the house.

I just looked. It's a DPP44. 4 lines in from the Dish, 2 out to the tv (through the wall).Is that one compatible? Thanks for the help!

I just looked. It's a DPP44. 4 lines in from the Dish, 2 out to the tv (through the wall).Is that one compatible? Thanks for the help!

Yes, a DPP44 is compatible. You must have a 1000+ to receive international channels. The switch will stay, and the node will be installed between the switch and the receiver.

Last edited:
Yes, have Brazilian channels for my Brazilian wife! Glad to know I'm ready. So, duo node, one cable out from that for each hopper. I have no need of lines for Joeys, since I just have two tvs in the house. Want the hoppers for the tuners. Come on March 15th!

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find it. I plan on getting 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, I known at the beginning that the 2 Hoppers will not be able to "see" each other, but will the Joeys be able to "see" both Hoppers or will they be assigned to specific Hopper?

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find it. I plan on getting 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, I known at the beginning that the 2 Hoppers will not be able to "see" each other, but will the Joeys be able to "see" both Hoppers or will they be assigned to specific Hopper?
We don't know yet.

one of the training guides almost makes it sound like the joeys will be assigned in the programming to a specific hopper. Not completely sure on that as it was open to interpretation.

Still waiting on real info though....

The way I understood it was the Hopper and Joeys were on their own network. So a 2 Hopper setup is two networks. There isn't a bridge so a Joey is put on a network but not able to see the other network. Its like you have two houses with each having a wired router (Hopper). So house 1 has a computer (Joey) connected by Ethernet to its router(Hopper). And House two is the same computer connected to router. To connect the House 1 computer to the House 2 router I would have to physically disconnect from one router and plug into the next. Now if the routers were bridged together then the computers could see both routers.

The duo node has a built-in bridge so it's one big MoCA network. Joeys can see both Hoppers but initially Hoppers cannot see each other until a future software update.

Joeys can see both Hoppers but initially Hoppers cannot see each other until a future software update.

Interesting comment. Does that mean that, from a Joey, both Hoppers are already "visible" and you can select any of 6 tuners?

Pretty basic information not to be distributed by now. Maybe they're hoping to get seamless integration out fast enough that it won't matter.

When I look at the dual hopper switch in the Training Manual, It shows 2 distinct sides.It looks like the 2 joeys on the left side are connected to the hopper on the left and the same happens on the right. My bet is the Joeys on either side only see their hopper. Once the 2 hoppers see each other, then all joeys will see both.

When I look at the dual hopper switch in the Training Manual, It shows 2 distinct sides.It looks like the 2 joeys on the left side are connected to the hopper on the left and the same happens on the right. My bet is the Joeys on either side only see their hopper. Once the 2 hoppers see each other, then all joeys will see both.
This is my understanding of how it works now.

so the first host and client port of the duo node is one half and then the other half is just separate network essentially? so basically you just need to make sure the joeys are on the right portion of the duo node to match them up with a specific hopper?

or do you need them separate with taps on the host lines?

Last edited:
Yes, have Brazilian channels for my Brazilian wife! Glad to know I'm ready. So, duo node, one cable out from that for each hopper. I have no need of lines for Joeys, since I just have two tvs in the house. Want the hoppers for the tuners. Come on March 15th!
Actually, now that I think about it, and especially since you are wanting 2 Hoppers, and only have 2 lines going outside your install will have to change a little. Since the DPP44 requires a power inserter and can't be fed through the node you will have one of two options. Run a third line outside just to power the switch, or they will have to replace your DP500+ LNB with a DPP500+ LNB that has the switch built-in so that the DPP44 can be eliminated. The second option is the way I would go, and wouldn't be much work.