Questions about The Hopper?

As we get closer to launch this question comes to mind...

Is the Duo Node a "drop-in" replacement for a DPP44? I only have 3 sat locations feeding into the switch.

dwarren2 said:
They all reboot overnight. On a 722, you can set the time by Menu-8-4. After the overnight reboot it goes into Stand By. So I think the person who said it updates in Standby was in error.

They should automatically update in standby but will update everyday at 3am unless you change the update time.

Easy way to tell,
for all those installers out there who said they already have a pallet of Hoppers and Joeys, do any of the boxes include Dual nodes?

I'm an out of contract Directv customer waiting to get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. I tried calling Dish to order, figuring I could schedule an install for after March 15th. I was told the same thing I was told two months ago. Get current equipment now and upgrade to Hoppers free later. Did I just get the wrong rep? Can I order from a retailer? Or should I just wait until after March 15th and call again?

I'm an out of contract Directv customer waiting to get 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. I tried calling Dish to order, figuring I could schedule an install for after March 15th. I was told the same thing I was told two months ago. Get current equipment now and upgrade to Hoppers free later. Did I just get the wrong rep? Can I order from a retailer? Or should I just wait until after March 15th and call again?

You could try a retailer as the Hopper will not be in the CSR's system until March 15th.

Or wait until the 15th. DO NOT accept current equipment if you have any hope of getting H/J anytime soon.

But honestly- I'd wait another month and see what happens. No need to be the first kid on the block, if it means bugs you don't want to put up with.

Or wait until the 15th. DO NOT accept current equipment if you have any hope of getting H/J anytime soon.

But honestly- I'd wait another month and see what happens. No need to be the first kid on the block, if it means bugs you don't want to put up with.
Right. Don't believe a word that a Dish phone CSR says. Signing up with a new customer 2-year agreement, "later" could mean over a year or longer. We all know what "soon" means to Dish, imagine how long "later" would be. :D

Scott - Any truth to the rumor that the dual node won't be available at launch, virtually eliminating multi-Hopper installations for now??
I have not heard anything officially but I have been told by people who work at the warehouses they have not seen any Dual Nodes come in yet.

I have never seen a Dual node myself yet... to me it is still a mythical creature. :)

I would love to see it on the 15th, but would not be surprised if they delay it until the software is ready to fully support it.

If the 2-Hopper systems are delayed, perhaps Dish needs to permit mixed Hopper/VIPs until entire home requirements can be met. With the wiring planned for Duo Node, two feeds could be used for a Solo Node, and the third direct to a VIP. Then, later remove the VIP when the Duo Node system is ready.

I have not heard anything officially but I have been told by people who work at the warehouses they have not seen any Dual Nodes come in yet.

I have never seen a Dual node myself yet... to me it is still a mythical creature. :)

I would love to see it on the 15th, but would not be surprised if they delay it until the software is ready to fully support it.

If I cant get two Hoppers at launch I'll wait.

If the 2-Hopper systems are delayed, perhaps Dish needs to permit mixed Hopper/VIPs until entire home requirements can be met.
I'm thinking they're not too excited about multiple switches. Everyone that is getting along with a DISH 1000 would need to put in a switch to passthrough to a node.

stimpson said:
This is my concern as well. I'm thinking before integration, you would need to marry Hopper 1 and Joey 1 via a tap into the node, then do the same for Hopper 2 and Joey 2. Does that sound right.

That is correct. When the hoppers can communicate they will see all tuners.