Questions about The Hopper?

Ziptied said:
You have a first generation 1000+ dish set-up. Your 44 switch and 2 output cables will support 1 Hopper (1 cable for Hopper and 1 cable for power inserter). You'd need to run a 3rd cable to support a 2nd Hopper. A 33 switch won't work with your 4 orbital location set-up. As stated earlier, I'd replace your existing LNBF assembly with a new 1000+ DPP LNBF assembly and call it a day.

The LNBF assembly are the "eyes" pointing at the dish? Are installers typically inclined to change all that just be side the customer doesn't want anymore holes drilled in the house?

thanks so much for your info....patmurphey...what would be the advantage of the 2 hopper system with 2 joeys?? just more recording time??

Well the big one is you would have 6 tuners to choose form instead of 3. That alone would be worth it to me since the cost (other than the initial equipment cost) is the same. Also you gain some redundancy if one of the Hoppers dies, you have a 2nd one and wouldn't lose your TV viewing completely.

The LNBF assembly are the "eyes" pointing at the dish? Are installers typically inclined to change all that just be side the customer doesn't want anymore holes drilled in the house?[/QUOTE

Maybe, you could ask. I was thinking more of a DIY project. I just did a quick Ebay check and found a new 1000+ DPP LNBF assembly for less than $40 shipping included.

I have a vip 722 with a external Hard Drive with a few movies on it, will i b able to just plugg in to Hopper and keep my movies or will it have to b reformated and lose movies?

The LNBF assembly are the "eyes" pointing at the dish? Are installers typically inclined to change all that just be side the customer doesn't want anymore holes drilled in the house?[/QUOTE

Maybe, you could ask. I was thinking more of a DIY project. I just did a quick Ebay check and found a new 1000+ DPP LNBF assembly for less than $40 shipping included.

Can you link me to that? I don't know what to search for. I tried "1000+ DPP LNBF" and got zero results.

I plan to get a hopper and two joeys to replace 612 and 722k. I have three tv's. Just updated the last sd to hd. Is there any advantage to a given tv to be connected to the hopper vs the joey. I have to decide if the hopper replaces the 722k in the basement or locate it in the family room where we spend more time.

The Hopper is capable of PiP and Bluetooth headphone output. Otherwise, all other functionality is the same. If one of the rooms your TVs are in has your internet router, I would put the Hopper in that room, so you can run ethernet directly to your Hopper.

The Hopper is capable of PiP and Bluetooth headphone output. Otherwise, all other functionality is the same. If one of the rooms your TVs are in has your internet router, I would put the Hopper in that room, so you can run ethernet directly to your Hopper.
the hopper has some other inputs/outputs on the back too like optical out, esata, one extra usb port, two component, one extra ethernet port, phone line connection for caller id, etc compared to the joey. The joey is very stripped down.

the hopper has some other inputs/outputs on the back too like optical out, esata, one extra usb port, two component, one extra ethernet port, phone line connection for caller id, etc compared to the joey. The joey is very stripped down.

Too true. If you need a component connection for one of your TVs, you'll need a Hopper in there.

No. One component, one composite.

The LNBF assembly are the "eyes" pointing at the dish? Are installers typically inclined to change all that just be side the customer doesn't want anymore holes drilled in the house?
Unless the size of the mast changes, they can often mount a new dish on an old mast.

Unless the size of the mast changes, they can often mount a new dish on an old mast.
is the old dish 500+ and the new dish 500+ physically different? couldn't they just swap out the lnbf assembly itself rather than changing the whole dish for goresnet?

I plan to get a hopper and two joeys to replace 612 and 722k. I have three tv's. Just updated the last sd to hd. Is there any advantage to a given tv to be connected to the hopper vs the joey. I have to decide if the hopper replaces the 722k in the basement or locate it in the family room where we spend more time.

Why not 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey - same fees?

Thanks again all you guys for looking at this stuff for me. Seems like the dish and mast would be fine, just new LNBF assembly. And then the new 500+ or 1000+ would couple to a DPP33?

Now, would all this be moot just by drilling a third hole in the wall?

Thanks again all you guys for looking at this stuff for me. Seems like the dish and mast would be fine, just new LNBF assembly. And then the new 500+ or 1000+ would couple to a DPP33?

Now, would all this be moot just by drilling a third hole in the wall?
new 500+ lnbf assembly has a built-in DPP43 switch, so the installer should be able to eliminate all your switches and run it directly to the node. Seems like the LNBF assembly swap would be the easier thing to do for the installer rather than wall penetration. Of course that's just my non-expert guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts