Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

I don't think they will let you use ethernet to connect the 813 with the 110. Once you move to ethernet you can "route" things, through wireless (to a neighbors), through the internet (vacation house), etc.
It would be a piece of cake to share 813's and 110's with neighbors via wi-fi, even if they limited the STB's to MoCa only.

MoCa-Ethernet converter connected to a wi-fi bridge.

Using a private network over MoCA to distribute the video to the 110's, while providing Ethernet in the 813's for connecting to streaming and the like, makes perfect sense to me. Best of both worlds from Dish's perspective. Far easier to support and debug the "internal" video distribution, known available bandwidth, easier and less expensive to install, while still providing access to the outside world for online content. Not at all idiotic from what I can see.
No difference in support of internal distro if both are available.
Having availability to BOTH would make it easier and less expensive, being able to use RG6 or Cat-5/6 existing wiring.
Quite idiotic to limit only to coax.

Ethernet will most likely allow users to have ethernet where ever the box is. Reasoning is future TV integration, as well as other ethernet technologies that may come to be. Customers may have a SOHO Router/Firewall near one of the 110 boxes.. thus by plugging in there with ethernet, opens up the whole set of 110's and the 813's to have ethernet backfed.

And that makes sense!

If it can use ethernet only it would be awesome if the 110 had homeplug support :) A four room install with only one coax and a slinglink adapter sounds like a dream to me.

Yeah, but Faw is asking about the antenna connections. According to your photo dump from Team Summit, there are a couple of intermediary switches or MoCA splitters/repeaters... I don't really know what to call them. Anyhow, they're labelled the XiP SOLO NODE, and the XiP DUO NODE. The solo node comes with 2 antenna inputs and one 813 input/output and one 110 output, while the duo node comes with 3 antenna inputs, two 813 inputs/outputs, and two 110 outputs.

From these numbers, I conclude that the solo node is meant for installations with a single 813 receiver and up to 3 110 clients, while the duo node can feed two 813 receivers and 6 110 clients. Given the number of tuners in the 813's, the 2 (or 3) antenna inputs have to be DishPro Plus. This means Faw's legacy LNBs have to go.

The only way around this conclusion is to assume that a completely new dish antenna and LNB/switch assembly is about to be introduced. I really doubt that. Edited to add: the photos clearly show "DPPlus" on both solo and duo nodes. Don't know how I went blind to the obvious. So... Legacy LNBs won't work. Bare DishPro LNBs (without a DPP switch) won't work either.

Any more info out on the "Nodes" and what they are? Smashing two bandstacked lines together should support 4 tuners and I'm wondering if the three tuner design was just cost or a technical problem.

Smashing two bandstacked lines together should support 4 tuners and I'm wondering if the three tuner design was just cost or a technical problem.
I'd guess it was just cost since the duo node takes 3 antenna inputs and supports 6 tuners on 2 813s.

Will Logitech Revue be able to work on these new XIP receivers? I notice it isn't listed as working on the Dish 922.

Will Logitech Revue be able to work on these new XIP receivers? I notice it isn't listed as working on the Dish 922.

A have a question about the XIPs (and I apologize if this has been answered). The 110s are supposed to act as thin clients to the 813. The 813 has HDMI and component connectors on it. According to what I have read, each 813 can support up to 3 110s. So, if I have 4 TVs in my house, would one 813 and 3 110s sufficiently meet my needs? or will I need to stack 2 813s and 4 110s? I suppose this will all get answered on the release, but inquiring minds want to know!

I claim one 813 will support one directly-connected HDTV and 3 more via the 110's. It's totally unclear (to me at least) what happens if 4 people want to watch something different. I imagine at least one will have to watch a recording.

The 813 has 3 satellite tuners. If you get the OTA USB ... I believe the OTA USB has two OTA tuners in it?

Anyway ... four "boxes" (1 - 813 and 3 - 110) could be support live viewing on all boxes between a combination of satellite and OTA.

K9SAT said:
Are you going to be charged based upon how many tuners you use with the 813, or will you also be charged for the 110's? Meaning can I add as many thin clients and will I be charged for each tv a thin client has. I could easily see myself going with 3 813's and a few OTA tuners, to a total of 5 Tv's.

I think Dish is only allowing one 813 per account.

I think Dish is only allowing one 813 per account.

I think they will allow two max... I remember Scott mentioning if you needed more tuners you could add an additional 813 and the recordings from that second DVR would be playable though the first. The boxes just pool all their resources together. Might change by the time the box ships though.

mike123abc said:
That is probably true for lease customers. But, I suspect as in the past you can buy more if you need to do so.

Right, leased is what I was talking about. I'm sure another one would cost ya.

Will it be the 813?

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that the 813 has been overhauled already and will not be what we saw at Team Summit, but something altogether different. Has anybody else heard something along this line??