Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

I can see Dish Network supporting other USB OTA tuners just like they do with EHD. There is probably more involved with supporting different USB OTA tuners though.

I am just going to enjoy what I have now and look forward to whatever is released "soon" in the future. That is all we can really do. Just wait and see.

I 'm looking to add the sling extender to my setup and enjoy hd in my master bedroom from my 722k in the living room. Then and IF they ever release the 813/110 boxes, I might look into adding this setup to my house. Especially if you can add an ota tuner to every 110 box and the 813 too. I could have 4 ota tuners and 3 sat tuners going all the time. I would use ota for my locals recording ,since the pq would be much sharper than satellite versions. BUT this all contingent on what the price will be on these boxes to buy then and what the monthly prices will be for using them. If DISH does additional receiver fees on the 110s like they did the 722/722k/622 dvrs , I will simply stay with what I have now. I learned from the 922 failed experiment in upgrading , that the grass isn't as always greener on the other side ,so to speak.

The trepidation around this really seems to stem from everyone's past experience with dish's release cycles.They say one thing and do another or are so nebulous with their information it creates FUD. As of today all we really know is at some point in the next 18-24 months dish will release this and it will probably be buggy when they do. IF it comes out sooner and or comes out bullet proof, fantastic but don't hope for something they've never done before. Lower your expectations because its prudent and its not like you can't watch TV today right...

Last edited:
Well I'm use to it will all tech products. I remember waiting years for some of my favorite video games to come out. They would either get delayed over and over or even canceled.

What was the 922 failed experiment?

Lets say that the 922 Never lived up to all the hype and promises made at team summit two years back. Like built in web browser and the still not released sling extender for tv 2 in hd . But Scott said the second one is coming "SOON!" I've only been hearing that one for going on a year and a half now. But if you add the google revue unit to your 922 it will work with it and you get a browser then.

I think the 922 is now a dead end box when the 813 comes to market. Every thing the 922 does , you can do with the 722/722k and a sling adapter ,and the pq looks better with the adapter, than the 922 . The 922 still does NOT have internal manual timers or dish pass, only online. Now you can have a single 813 dvr with 3 sat tuners and up to three 110 boxes that can each add an ota usb tuner to and dvr on every HD tv in your house -up to 4 hd tvs . PLUS you can still sling from it with a sling adapter to your computer,ipad etc. The 922 will be nothing more than a souped up 722k with pretty graphics and channel logos , that the 813 will now have as well. The 922 will be an extinct box once the new whole house dvr comes to market.

Yes. The 922 is will have a special place as the 721 of the HD family. It was nice knowing ye, 922 :). Dish would be stupid NOT to abandon (a form of hyperbole) or otherwise provide minimal resources and support for the now obsolete 922. The XiP is going to have to be the star and even NEW standard as Multi-room DVR is now in such demand. The 813 does all and more than the 922.

I am so glad I held off from getting a 921. All the posts on this board really helped in my wise decision. This forum has been an immense help, and Scott's info has been crucial in making wise decisions about upgrades. However, the XiP 813 sounds SO GOOD that I may not be able to wait for the bugs to get worked out as I have in the past, and I may end up being among the very first to get at least one and become an unofficial beta tester. But I have far more confidence that Dish is really going to uber support the XiP 813 system and send updates galore to get it working right for all the beta testers no matter what. The price is the only mystery. I hope it isn't' outrageous.

Last edited:
The XIP technology, assuming they can deliver on the software, seems like it will be fun to experiment with but how many people just want to watch some TV at the lowest possible cost.

In my opinion the success of this receiver will depend on the monthly cost charged to subscribers. Currently the 211 receivers are tough to beat for price. I have two 211's which I pay only $7.00 for the second receiver. I paid the one time $40 fee to activate both as DVRs. The 1 TB EHDs cost me $75 each. At the time of the install I could have had a third 211 installed.

I use the tuners in the TVs for OTA -CATV signals. This gives me the equivalent of two tuners for each viewing location. In addition I picked up a Slingbox Solo to stream video. I primarily stream the video to my computer.

In summary my monthly cost for equipment is $7 for two DVR enabled receivers.

Based on my observation of the four neighbors which I signed up Dish, my neighbors seldom use the 722s DVR capabilities other than to pause live TV or on occasion time shift programming to a more convenient viewing hour. None of them are accumulating large video libraries. Given the choice most of my neighbors would rather save the $6 and give up the DVR.

Again while some subset of Dish's subscriber base will pay for the latest and greatest technology many more will be interested in price, programming, sports, more HDTV, etc.

Jim

You make some good points. However, Multi-room viewing is what people want now, and they are willing to pay for it, if the competition's pricing is any indication. It is now the most requested or asked about feature that people really do care about, not the hundreds of channels, not even the RSN's so much. People now want to know if they can watch their content on thier beautiful HDTV in the bedroom IN HIGH DEF and have junior and sis access to HD recording and playback, too, in their own rooms! Right now, MRV is "it," the "killer app"!

DishSubLA said:
You make some good points. However, Multi-room viewing is what people want now, and they are willing to pay for it, if the competition's pricing is any indication. It is now the most requested or asked about feature that people really do care about, not the hundreds of channels, not even the RSN's so much. People now want to know if they can watch their content on thier beautiful HDTV in the bedroom IN HIGH DEF and have junior and sis access to HD recording and playback, too, in their own rooms! Right now, MRV is "it," the "killer app"!

People always want what the don't have, I just can't believe people have time to sit around watching all this recorded content and people also want to be able to record 3 channels at the same time. No wonder we have an obesity problem

I really dont expect them to switch out any current customers for the XiP series, at the beginning it will be for new customers only unless you want to hook them up yourself.

These will be easy to install for new installs, but could be a pain replacing an existing setup depending on how the wiring was done.

As an installer, I can tell you that this "blanket" statement is incorrect. The complexity of an install is more related to the "house" itself and not the "equipment".

Once this does come out, I'd rather roll-up to an existing system that already has the dish in place and all lines already in place to existing receivers and backfeed rooms than roll-out to a new install where the Dish has to go way out and/or some or all the lines have to be run.

I've seen the installation diagram and Dish has done a good job keeping it in line with our "DP Plus installs". But that doesn't mean it'll be any easier or harder than installing MPEG2 or VIP receivers. Like I said before, it's more about the house than it is the equipment.

Last edited:
What was the 922 failed experiment?

I guess you might say it failed in the sense it just didn't take-off like Dish thought it would. In my area, I don't think we've installed more than 10, maybe 15, of them.

Sometimes I wonder if the only people who have 922s are also members of this message board.

I also wonder if (or when) Dish makes the 922 part of the same family as the 622/722/722k just so their inventory of them will be used up instead of just sitting on a pallet in some warehouse somewhere.

I like the 922 and now that it has TV2 capability, I wouldn't have a problem replacing my 722k with one of them.

Last edited:
I've seen the installation diagram and Dish has done a good job keeping it in line with our "DP Plus installs". But that doesn't mean it'll be any easier or harder than installing MPEG2 or VIP receivers. Like I said before, it's more about the house than it is the equipment.
Its a lot easier in a lot of cases as you can use the existing RG-59 or RG-6 which is already in the house to drive the XiP 110 boxes. :)

People always want what the don't have, I just can't believe people have time to sit around watching all this recorded content and people also want to be able to record 3 channels at the same time. No wonder we have an obesity problem

unless you like to record everything and watch it over the course of a week. there a few days where there are 6 or more things on that I would like to watch. i can only do 4 right now so i have to use other receivers to get the other 2+. not the end of the world, just a PITA!!!

Lets say that the 922 Never lived up to all the hype and promises made at team summit two years back. Like built in web browser and the still not released sling extender for tv 2 in hd . But Scott said the second one is coming "SOON!" I've only been hearing that one for going on a year and a half now. But if you add the google revue unit to your 922 it will work with it and you get a browser then.

The 922 is not dead. I would speculate that the 722 series would be retired before the 922. There will be demand for a 1-2 TV solution without the extra cost of MRV. If the MRV from Dish has the 922 look and feel, Dish will probably want to keep it around so all the solutions look the same. The three receivers I see Dish going forward with are the 211 for really cheap accounts, 922 for 1-2 TV accounts and XIP for multiple TV (3+) accounts. I do not see the XIP solution being much cheaper than other Dish solutions. I would suspect a $10 DVR fee like the 922, and a per TV fee for the 110s. Then I would see another fee if you want another 813.

I think you've got this wrong. People want to be able to do all of this recording because they don't have that much time. It is the whole purpose of a DVR. People have less time than ever to sit around their homes. The purpose to have this is so you can have the ability to watch whatever you want whenever you have to the chance to watch it. I would never get to watch my favorite shows without a DVR. I work all day then I go home and hang out with my family. My wife and I don't get to watch what we want until we get our son to bed. It's at least 9pm by the time we ever get to watch anything we like. The only time I get to watch a movie I like is when the wife and child are away for a couple hours.

The 922 is not dead. I would speculate that the 722 series would be retired before the 922. There will be demand for a 1-2 TV solution without the extra cost of MRV. If the MRV from Dish has the 922 look and feel, Dish will probably want to keep it around so all the solutions look the same. The three receivers I see Dish going forward with are the 211 for really cheap accounts, 922 for 1-2 TV accounts and XIP for multiple TV (3+) accounts. I do not see the XIP solution being much cheaper than other Dish solutions. I would suspect a $10 DVR fee like the 922, and a per TV fee for the 110s. Then I would see another fee if you want another 813.

Also the fact that the 922 and 813/110 share the same software base, means updates will probably continue to be push. Why would you continue to develop for a "dead" product? I have a ViP222 that's STILL getting software pushed to it. Believe it or not, the 922 still does fill a niche. And there are brand-new customers out there who never had expectations for DISH not to live up to. 922 is a solid box now with the same reliability as I had with the 722 it replaced in my living room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)