Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

Then you also would have content providers being nervous about the fact that the hard drive could be pulled out. What's stopping someone from hacking that "broken" hard drive with shows on it.

Swapping hard drives would be no different than them allowing that on the 211/722/922 as an add on.

I'm not spending a dime on these new boxes until I read that they will do what they are advertized they will do (here on satelliteguys). I'm still upset about the 922 not doing timers like the 622 and 722 do and all the 922 hipe that never came to production....

I'm not spending a dime on these new boxes until I read that they will do what they are advertized they will do (here on satelliteguys). I'm still upset about the 922 not doing timers like the 622 and 722 do and all the 922 hipe that never came to production....

The 922 has been a lot like the promises that they made for the 921 pvr and even like the older 721 pvr that was supposed to have a built in web browser . Even the webtv/dishplayer had more features than the 922 had on release, though a very small hard drive by today's standards. The 813 has the potential to be a good system , IF it ever come to market and IF it isn't as buggy as most new receivers that DISH releases.

By the way I was so disappointed in the 922 and the features that soon evaporated that I traded mine back into the online retailer I got it from for a brand new 722k instead. The 922 still doesn't even integrate with the google revue unit either.

Swapping hard drives would be no different than them allowing that on the 211/722/922 as an add on.
I know that, and you know that. But content people are not normal rational human beings. Sure add a HDD over USB, but you wanna break open the box and start messing with drives that are screwed in and they'll be like... oh hell no! lol

I don't recall anyone asking but will the 813 or 110 have googletv built in or will it still need the revue?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

1.Will the 813's have PIP function? (I really use PIP a LOT!)
2.Will PIP be available using the thin client, the 110's, in the remote viewing room?
3.I guess I'm asking if the experience viewing using the 110 in the remote room will be the SAME as in the room with the 813?

I know these may be hard to answer without the software ready, but any word you have heard about the intentions would be nice.

MikeD-C05 said:
Considering we are still waiting on the sling extender to be released, promised for last summer, I would not be a bit surprised.

The extender has been delayed so that it works with ALL sling boxes not just the 922. Plus they are trying to get it so that the Sling adapter on the 722 works with it as well with all the full guide features. As you may or may not know a 722 or 922 outputting in hd, the graphics such as the guide and menus are not output by the receivers in hd mode, so the sling extender must generate these graphics on it's own. The 922 side is done and it looks just like a 922 menu and guide system, now they are finishing it off so that when you use it with a 722 with sling adapter the graphics and menus look like a 722.

That has been the holdup. They could release it today just for the 922 but they want it working and working well for all Dish sling devices out of the gate.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

sethwell said:
I don't recall anyone asking but will the 813 or 110 have googletv built in or will it still need the revue?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No it will not have Google TV built in. As far of the Revue goes, the Revue is no longer being shipped by Logitech and probably won't ship again until GoogleTV 2.0 is released which appears to be around a July timeframe. GoogleTV 2.0 will be announced this week by Google.

DishSubLA said:
1.Will the 813's have PIP function? (I really use PIP a LOT!)
2.Will PIP be available using the thin client, the 110's, in the remote viewing room?
3.I guess I'm asking if the experience viewing using the 110 in the remote room will be the SAME as in the room with the 813?

I know these may be hard to answer without the software ready, but any word you have heard about the intentions would be nice.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, that's the entire point of the entire project. :)

skyviewmark said:
This all sounds great.. I just hope it isn't obsolete by the time Dish actually releases it..

Doubt it, I hear the hardware is done , just working on the software and since it is using the 922 base it's not going to take long to finish as it was the 922 as it's not building a new os for the box from scratch.

Yes, Mike. We all know how much you hate the 922. :rolleyes:

Yes ,we all know that you like to harp on anything I say about the 922, EVEN when I am agreeing with someone that expresses the same opinion of disappointment felt about the 922. You are a 922 apologist sir. It is obvious that DISH even has moved on from the 922 and it has been nothing more than a failed experiment . The only good things that came from it ,are the channel logo and hd graphics & menus that they will use with the new XIP 813. Most of the promised features of the 922 were never delivered on and won't be. Since I paid the money to OWN the 922 , I will continue to say this receiver did not live up to the hype and I will always agree with anyone who says similar comments about it.

Last edited:
The extender has been delayed so that it works with ALL sling boxes not just the 922. Plus they are trying to get it so that the Sling adapter on the 722 works with it as well with all the full guide features. As you may or may not know a 722 or 922 outputting in hd, the graphics such as the guide and menus are not output by the receivers in hd mode, so the sling extender must generate these graphics on it's own. The 922 side is done and it looks just like a 922 menu and guide system, now they are finishing it off so that when you use it with a 722 with sling adapter the graphics and menus look like a 722.

That has been the holdup. They could release it today just for the 922 but they want it working and working well for all Dish sling devices out of the gate.

THANKS for the update Scott. Now we know what the hold up is.:)

I know that, and you know that. But content people are not normal rational human beings. Sure add a HDD over USB, but you wanna break open the box and start messing with drives that are screwed in and they'll be like... oh hell no! lol

I mean't swapping external hard drives if one of them decides to fail.

Great to hear that the 813 will utilize an USB OTA tuner. Will this add-on device only include one OTA tuner meaning I would need two of the add-on's to equal the OTA module in my 722K? Any chance the device includes two OTA tuners like the 722K/922 OTA module?

My question is why can't they make a 722 with 2 HD outputs? That would do for most people. TV1 could have an hdmi output and tv2 could be a component, hdmi or possibly coax (i know it is expensive for that technology).

I think that they should of been able to make the existing Vip series of dvrs work with hd to a 110 box via coax and give us either tv 1 or tv 2 in HD in two rooms. It shouldn't of been that much of a reach to achieve that. Instead a whole new series of receivers has to be invented .....AGAIN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)