Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

Well I have an iPad but will be able to get one the the android tablets from being a retailer.

The retailer I work for was suppose to be there, but had to bail at the last minute for whatever reason. Anyhow he was talking about all the money he lost by not being able to make it & those tablets came up in our conversation. Apparently you have to be there in person to pick it up, but our dish rep said he would try to get him 1 regardless. I just started laughing at that point, I said he'll probably manage to get 1 for you, but when dish finds out you were not there they will back charge you for it........................................:eek:

So- is MoCA ver 1 firm for the release HW or is there a chance that the new chips will be out this summer and Dish/Echostar will incorporate ver 2?

Straws, man, I'm grasping at straws.

Ha Navy. We all grasp at straws when a company comes out with new tech and not sure how it will turn out.

So- is MoCA ver 1 firm for the release HW or is there a chance that the new chips will be out this summer and Dish/Echostar will incorporate ver 2?

I doubt it. The hardware spec has to be locked by now if they are thinking they want to get this out by Christmas.

One then wonders why they included an Ethernet jack on the XiP110.

Perhaps it doubles as a media converter to go from MoCA to Ethernet. I'm not sure how they would filter the MoCA traffic out.

Well. It's probably for the DLNA features so the 813 doesn't have to act as a intermediate between the 110 and whatever server you are connecting to. Or to enable some future On-Demand plans. Maybe we won't have to download programs first off of DISHOnline once that massive data center is done.

VERY Disappointing time frame

I am a 10+ year subscriber to Dish and I have always been pleased with their product. But, ever since I got two more HD TV's in my house I have been patiently waiting to see what their whole home DVR product would be. It looks very promising and sounds exactly like what I want but I don't want to wait another entire year for this. Based on their recent track record for getting products to market, I would bet it's going to be closer to two years before this is widely available to customers.

Tell Dish they need to do whatever it takes to get this too the market NOW. Pay their programmers overtime and have them work 60+ hours a week to get it done because they are way behind the other guys now. I must admit that I will probably research switching now because this is not the news I wanted to here.

I thought someone said in another thread that the transmission between the 813 and the 110 would be by either coax or ethernet. Why have an additional ethernet port on the 813 and an ethernet port on the 110 then? Does not make sense to me. I am also curious what that router connection was all about in the additional room. To transmit video wireless to a laptop?

I am curious if they will allow an additional tuner to be added via the usb or eSata port in the future as they are a digital OTA tuner. That would be really cool. If not then they should have had a slot to add a fourth tuner. It would have helped if someone was watching live tv and did not want to watch a recording. That is one of the biggest problems with sharing a DVR. Or Maybe Dish Network has their own fourth tuner in there for their own purpose perhaps for other things like downloading movies (Blockbuster)?

So dish is adding a third tuner and people already want a fourth? Come on, they're the only ones that give at least two tuners with capabilities of two more OTA tuners. What if they gave you five tuners for free? What would find to complain about then?

3 tuners is no where near enough for me. How would someone go about adding more 813 receivers in this wiring setup.

Right now I have a 922, 2 612s, and a 625. that is 8 tuners. So In this case I would want say 3 813 receivers. and maybe 2 110.

So dish is adding a third tuner and people already want a fourth? Come on, they're the only ones that give at least two tuners with capabilities of two more OTA tuners. What if they gave you five tuners for free? What would find to complain about then?

In Anchorage for some reason the stations have always run 5-10 minutes late so multiple tuners make it easier to record some of the local programming and insure that I don't miss the end of the show or the begining of the next show. One of the channels(FOX) is now starting their shows early. I like the 922 that I have with the 2 Dish and 2 OTA tuners, but 3 and 2 would be nice.

The more tuners being shared by one receiver, the more of an issue one is going to have with someone complaining about someone using their tuner to record a show when they want to record their own show or watch something live. I already have heard complaints of this with the dual tuner receivers including a retailer in the message boards saying his customers were complaining about it and one of my customers.

Now, if the above was not such an issue then three tuners would solve the problem with most households. I just would have thought that they would have made it an even number at four tuners or added a slot for expandability for more tuners.

Since the 922 is $20 I can see this unit being at least $25 if not more, perhaps $27 since it is adding an additional tuner. Imagine someone wanting two of these, that is $40-50 in additional fees alone!!!

* What does the "X" in "XiP" stand for?
* Is the system limited to the tuners in the XiP 813, or can each XiP 110 tune watch independent programming?
* Might there not be a place for a XiP 210 with satellite tuning capabilities, but no hard drive, that would be able to independently watch anything off of the satellite or pull DVR programming off of the XiP 813?

I guess I wonder how easily retrofitted this will be to existing customers. It looks like just one coax to each location you want to have TV in, and since I have separate OTA and satellite RG6, I should be good to upgrade when this is ready to play.

Oh, and is it okay to be bitter about Dish failing to do this whole-house distribution with the ViP series?

Last edited:
The more tuners being shared by one receiver, the more of an issue one is going to have with someone complaining about someone using their tuner to record a show when they want to record their own show or watch something live. I already have heard complaints of this with the dual tuner receivers including a retailer in the message boards saying his customers were complaining about it and one of my customers.

Now, if the above was not such an issue then three tuners would solve the problem with most households. I just would have thought that they would have made it an even number at four tuners or added a slot for expandability for more tuners.

Since the 922 is $20 I can see this unit being at least $25 if not more, perhaps $27 since it is adding an additional tuner. Imagine someone wanting two of these, that is $40-50 in additional fees alone!!!

I think the implementaion is such that no ONE has dedicated tuners they way the current DVR's do. Instead all tuners from one (or multiple 813's) are available to EVERYONE for use. Think of the XiP setup as a network and people view or record from the all the tuners on the network. So, If I have two 813's, the entire household has 6 sat tuners for use at anytime for whomever or whatever. The key is not whose tuners are being used, but just the NUMBER of tuners one needs in a household so that all are served well enough. In this house hold it would be a MINIMUM of 6 sat tuners, but they way this house is, I could easily see a 3rd 813 for 9 available tuners.

So, with the XiP, one just has to figure how many tuners they think they will need to please the household, but if that is not enough, one can easily integrate more tuners to the network with additional 831's. I have to say, I like this approach of all tuners easily available for recording to a number of 813's, then all content networked to be a really good approach for the whole home solution, AND the fact that it will be a FULL DVR experience in the remote rooms, UNlike a lot of the competition. The more I think about the XiP's the more I like it, even more than the DVR Extender, which seems to function as a SOLO in the remote room as opposed to the current Home Distribution in analog in SINGLE mode that gives one the EXACT same experience--with PIP--as in the main room. So, XiP seems to sound best of all. But, we'll have to see how the thing REALLY works once they get the software ready.

Like the looks and sounds of what this will have but will it take more then just the 3 main birds or will it have some flex for hind ect...??
One or two 813 would be nice but what is the max 4-8 streams (poo-vers) or can it alow 32 sat streams like D* ???? This new MVR looks great compared to current DTV public 1 stream on the MRV at a time 4 beta* but one thing it is lacking that will throw all other providers for a loop is software..

If the 813 could run apps like Google Tv, NFL ST ,MLB ,NHL ,NBA, home media server* Ect Ect .. that many are using now vs subbing to the super over priced sat/cable pkg or using many devices.

Hey Dish get cracking and dont drop the ball like the 922 coming soon coming soon ... its hear now pay extra and features are coming soon..........

I hope dish will make all the Xip devices uhf/ non ir so one could install them behind flat screens or hide them and use the remotes.

navychop said:

Straws, man, I'm grasping at straws.

No the MoCA 2 chips are not expected until the end of the year now, if they haven't been delayed until next year. (not sure where entropic makes the chip, but it could be Japan.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!