Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

Here are some interesting documents from the FCC. :)

Attachments

• communications.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 222
  • test setup photo.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 207
  • Xip813 Insides1.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 231
  • XiP813 Insides 2.pdf
    692.7 KB · Views: 245
Scott Greczkowski said:
Looks like the XiP's have been inspected and passed by the FCC!

For more details please see DISH’s XiP 813 Next Gen DVR Nears Launch?

BTW in examining the documents I see they hid something under the hood that no other DISH Network receiver has ever had... BLUETOOTH.

Things that make you go HMM! :D

Maybe for a mouse and/or keyboard?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Bluetooth for a peripheral... Yeah, I'm going "Hmmmm." Probably just for a bluetooth headset so that you can watch (and hear!) TV while your spouse sleeps nearby.

I didn't see it in the past few pages, but did you happen to also check out the XiP110 at the fcc? What I find interesting (although, I'm probably wrong), whats the 8 pin connector on the internal pictures near the right side of the board?

I'd guess smart card, but there is no slot / not enough clearance. Don't want to say sim card, but the size is close. I guess it could also be a slimmed down Smart Card, just find it odd!

Those look damn near ready, but why are they useing a LITE ON plug for the 110? Also, while I am appreciative of the 110 tiny size, those buttons look gigantic and take away from the look of the device.

Also, how final is the software? Is there any chance of GoogleTV being baked in, or maybe another partnership with something like a Revue2?

I see the 813 has only one sat in. I have 2 antennas (110/119) with legacy LNBs (Puerto Rico). I know there's a new antenna for PR but I think it's too small, I never experience rain-fade with my current setup.

My question is, will this receiver work with my configuration or will I have to get the new antenna. Hmm, another question, is there a switch that takes the input from 2 legacy LNBs and outputs it like a DishPro switch so I can use 1 cable to the receiver?

Okay, here we are approaching the middle of the month . WHERE IS THE SLING EXTENDER Charlie????
I have a feeling it'll be released around the same time the XIPs will be released...November. Dish will probably market the XIPs for the new customers and the sling extender for existing customers with the VIP 722, 722k, and 922.

I see the 813 has only one sat in. I have 2 antennas (110/119) with legacy LNBs (Puerto Rico). I know there's a new antenna for PR but I think it's too small, I never experience rain-fade with my current setup.

My question is, will this receiver work with my configuration or will I have to get the new antenna. Hmm, another question, is there a switch that takes the input from 2 legacy LNBs and outputs it like a DishPro switch so I can use 1 cable to the receiver?

It only has one Sat Input as the Dish Pro seperator is built into the receiver.

It only has one Sat Input as the Dish Pro seperator is built into the receiver.
Yeah, but Faw is asking about the antenna connections. According to your photo dump from Team Summit, there are a couple of intermediary switches or MoCA splitters/repeaters... I don't really know what to call them. Anyhow, they're labelled the XiP SOLO NODE, and the XiP DUO NODE. The solo node comes with 2 antenna inputs and one 813 input/output and one 110 output, while the duo node comes with 3 antenna inputs, two 813 inputs/outputs, and two 110 outputs.

From these numbers, I conclude that the solo node is meant for installations with a single 813 receiver and up to 3 110 clients, while the duo node can feed two 813 receivers and 6 110 clients. Given the number of tuners in the 813's, the 2 (or 3) antenna inputs have to be DishPro Plus. This means Faw's legacy LNBs have to go.

The only way around this conclusion is to assume that a completely new dish antenna and LNB/switch assembly is about to be introduced. I really doubt that. Edited to add: the photos clearly show "DPPlus" on both solo and duo nodes. Don't know how I went blind to the obvious. So... Legacy LNBs won't work. Bare DishPro LNBs (without a DPP switch) won't work either.

Last edited:
From what I remember you CAN use a diplexor for the antenna and diplex it again at the box.

Remember there is no OTA tuner in the XIP, however they plan on having an external USB tuner available.

As for the requiring DISHPRO Plus LNB's, remember first and foremost this product is for new customers, all new customers get these DISH/LNB setups all ready. If an existing customer wants to switch to an XIP series they will probably need to pay to upgrade their setup.

All this talk about November. I thought that Echostar was going to release the Xip to Dish in November not that Dish was going to release it to customers in November? If that is the case I don't see how it would go to customers for at least another 6 months.

All this talk about November. I thought that Echostar was going to release the Xip to Dish in November not that Dish was going to release it to customers in November? If that is the case I don't see how it would go to customers for at least another 6 months.

I would expect an expanded beta test soon, given that the hardware appears to be nailed down with FCC certifications. But, given Dish's track history with software I have my doubts that they will be able to get the major bugs out before November.

I have been out of contract for a few years now ... to get HD on all my TVs though ... I may bite ...

But ... I see things adding up real fast.

1. 813
2. OTA unit
3. 110 unit
4. New dish? (I have a 1000.2 ... so hopefully not)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)