Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

Ah ... okay ... So if I understand it correctly ... one would need the "Solo Node" ... an out of the node could then go to my splitter in my "cable box" on the outside of my house which would then go to all of my TV outlets in my home accordingly.

I deleted my errant post above.

You may be right, but I thought he was going by the diagram which clearly shows a 3-way splitter between the solo node and the 110's. An interesting aside is the dual node (for two XiP 813 installations), which shows two MoCA outputs. I'm thinking that you can't just run one to 6 110's. You have to put 3 110's on each line. Another big question in my mind is whether you can have more than 3 110's on a MoCA line, if no more than 3 are on at once. Don't know.

Ah ... okay ... So if I understand it correctly ... one would need the "Solo Node" ... an out of the node could then go to my splitter in my "cable box" on the outside of my house which would then go to all of my TV outlets in my home accordingly.

Sorry for any confusion ... yes, I am referencing the connection diagram.

I deleted my errant post above.

You may be right, but I thought he was going by the diagram which clearly shows a 3-way splitter between the solo node and the 110's. An interesting aside is the dual node (for two XiP 813 installations), which shows two MoCA outputs. I'm thinking that you can't just run one to 6 110's. You have to put 3 110's on each line. Another big question in my mind is whether you can have more than 3 110's on a MoCA line, if no more than 3 are on at once. Don't know.

I see your point. And I hope we have more info on the XiP by turkey day.

All this is based on homes already wired with coaxial cable?

So, with older homes coaxial cable would need to be run to room with HDTV's - much like in the early days of cable )before homes were wired)?

Having lived in my humble abode for 45 years - it has no "in wall" wiring for cable.

Currently I have only DISH setup and of course an OTA -- all which required new and exposed coax. I have no issue with the exposed coax - just curious if even MORE will be needed as it would be now if an additional TV was added to a new room?

Spongekiller said:
I've been looking through the pages, and didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but how does Sling fit in with the XiP receivers? Built-in, adapter, or no-go?

It'll use the sling adapter that is currently available, so sling by USB, OTA tuner by USB (I believe you can have up to two on the 813 and one per on the 110's). If I got anything wrong please correct me, I'm just going on memory of the information I've read on this thread.

So if one USB has sling and the other has OTA, what about things like an external hard drive or wireless? I see it has bluetooth built in (or so I've read). Here's to hoping it has wireless N built in too. I notice it has 2 network slots, but that means more wire. Will it have built in HomePlug?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It also has an eSATA port, but I think some installations could get pretty gnarly with powered hubs.

So if one USB has sling and the other has OTA, what about things like an external hard drive or wireless? I see it has bluetooth built in (or so I've read). Here's to hoping it has wireless N built in too. I notice it has 2 network slots, but that means more wire. Will it have built in HomePlug?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you look back at one of the pictures with the sample home diagram, you'll see an additional box that can bridge Ethernet into the MoCA network. Kinda like the Sling Link Eithernet Adaptor. I don't remember if WiFi is built-in, but if it isn't it probably can be added via USB. But that USB connection is just for using Sling or on-Demand DishOnline programming. According to Scott, all the recorded and satellite video is sent to the 110 boxes via MoCA.

Does anyone know if the solo splitter will support OTA signal also?

For example, I have one of the "combiners" that sends both OTA and satellite on one cable. I then split it back out when its gets to the back of my 722.

If you look back at one of the pictures with the sample home diagram, you'll see an additional box that can bridge Ethernet into the MoCA network. Kinda like the Sling Link Eithernet Adaptor. I don't remember if WiFi is built-in, but if it isn't it probably can be added via USB. But that USB connection is just for using Sling or on-Demand DishOnline programming. According to Scott, all the recorded and satellite video is sent to the 110 boxes via MoCA.

So ... another item I have to buy ...

Boy ... maybe I should just all it good and get a 222 for my second TV. Sounds cheaper in the end and I could probably buy it out and out without extending my contract for cheaper than this 813 (and "solo" ... and 110 ... and powered USB hub ... and OTA USB ... and internet bridge). I'll have to wait and see I suppose.

So ... another item I have to buy ...
No its nothing something you have to buy. If you are a new customer DISH will install this system for free for you. Exisiting customers can keep on using what they have now, but going forward for new customers these XIP installs will be the norm.

If you are a customer currently and want to switch to XIP I expect that you will have to pay for it.

All this is based on homes already wired with coaxial cable?
So, with older homes coaxial cable would need to be run to room with HDTV's - much like in the early days of cable )before homes were wired)?
Having lived in my humble abode for 45 years - it has no "in wall" wiring for cable.
Currently I have only DISH setup and of course an OTA -- all which required new and exposed coax. I have no issue with the exposed coax - just curious if even MORE will be needed as it would be now if an additional TV was added to a new room?
Short answer - Yes more coax.
Longer answer, it would depend on where the switch is that connects the receivers and the dish, as to how much and where. One Drop per location is the norm. If you're thinking of going to the new receivers maybe its time to pay to get someone to install in wall? Bring it up from the basement or in through a soffit vent and then down interior walls. And it might be something to run phone and data at the same time (marginally more for the cost of the wire, not much in added labor).

The same way it came in. It's not sent back out as a video signal you can connect into your TV, but instead as 1's and 0's that the 110 turns back into video and sends it to the remote TV. Essentially, DISH is creating a small fast network using coax cable as the media.

Why don't they just use the existing network? AT&T U-verse boxes use MoCA or ethernet. You can use existing coax or your home LAN. You can even use a wireless bridge at your HT cabinet, and connect the STB to that via ethernet, then wirelessly to your network. Why can't Dish add that relatively simple capability?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)