Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

Probably won't be enabled when the system ships and will be added later via software update.
PIP probably won't be an option. It would take significant effort at the server (or two streams to the client) and I don't see that happening.

I don't think it has anything to do with managing expectations.

Sling adapter is being put out to pasture with this new system. It's gonna have a MoCA bridge with ethernet being delivered through coax. The external power supply wouldn't let the sling work anyway. Should prove to be much more reliable and universal. So many homes have funky electrical that doesn't let the Sling adapters work throughout the home, it was a total crapshoot getting those things to work.

Since this box has ethernet in, I'd hope it could double as the mythical sling extender, but then fewer would purchase the XiP813. That is, of course, if it were technically possible.

I've been happy with my ethernet over powerline, but my house is fairly new and wiring is good.

I'd bet they're bringing the 5 dollar tv2 fees back since the XiP813 has 3 tuners and it can run a whole home. It's also the best incentive they ever had for connecting boxes.

Sling adapter is being put out to pasture with this new system. It's gonna have a MoCA bridge with ethernet being delivered through coax. The external power supply wouldn't let the sling work anyway. Should prove to be much more reliable and universal. So many homes have funky electrical that doesn't let the Sling adapters work throughout the home, it was a total crapshoot getting those things to work.
Since the 813 has 3 tuners will PIP be available in dual or triple modes? as I read it the other XIP is pipless.....

So, I reckon for a person like me with a simple 722k w/OTA on one display, there is no real reason to be excited about these models, or view them as an upgrade to me setup?

My guess is of the few advantages this would bring to someone that just has one tv is the new user interface in the menu's that may resemble the 922.

The big thing about this is the true Muliroom viewing. But this is a product that is aimed at NEW CUSTOMERS.

Its a product that a installer will be able to install in half the time as they can reuse the exisiting cable in the house instead of running RG6 to every TV in the house. Because all the tuners and hard drive are built into only the main unit it makes it cheep to add more rooms and also has a lower cost overall for the equipment.

PIP probably won't be an option. It would take significant effort at the server (or two streams to the client) and I don't see that happening.
Well since the bandwidth on the moca side is 10 streams wide, that would suggest 3 streams to a single 110 with PiP would be possible and that the 110 could do the PiP via streams and resize the streams to provide them on one video out ... the alternate is also possible, since the 813 has three tuners, *it* could do the PiP and send it out as one stream to the 110 ... the horsepower is there since the thing does support three full satellite tuners, and could support 1~2 Antenna fed usb dongled OTA modules. I would imagine the beef there would rest in the OTA module

So, I reckon for a person like me with a simple 722k w/OTA on one display, there is no real reason to be excited about these models, or view them as an upgrade to me setup?
Well ... the fact that you *could* in the future add another TV without the need to expand the number of tuners, and if their OTA module / USB dongled thingy does the same as a current OTA module ... then you could actually do FIVE channels simultaneously.. could there really be five things on at once that you wanted to record/watch ?? (Football, baseball, *-ball etc related, and that's if you're not a primetime junkie) :)

My guess is of the few advantages this would bring to someone that just has one tv is the new user interface in the menu's that may resemble the 922.
Please.. some of us don't see the 922's menus as a step up.. in some ways the 922's menus are "pretty" but I'd take function over pretty any time, and the amount of cursoring you do with 922's is even more then that on the 722k ... so.. for me that uber pretty uber modern interface is for sh*t... but that's me.. except for the sluggishness of my older 311 receiver and its lack of tv display while in the menu, it was fine for me.. that's not saying there isn't room for major improvements in any (or all) of them ...

Hmmm, so it has 3 tuners, and a OTA could add two more. 4 is just right for me, but as someone who records 30-40 a week in the busy time, 4 even sometimes is maxed out.

Ill keep an eye on that.

Hmmm, so it has 3 tuners, and a OTA could add two more. 4 is just right for me, but as someone who records 30-40 a week in the busy time, 4 even sometimes is maxed out.

Ill keep an eye on that.

It also is supposed to have the ability to add another XIP unit if you need 6 sat tuners (and one assumes 4 OTA) with full home sharing.

Could someone please help me figure out what my optimum configuration would be? Ideally, I would like a hub DVR, one that could access the programming I have saved on extension hard drives. I would like to also be able to watch live and recorded HD programming in at least two other rooms. Would I be better off with slinging or the XIP? Will the XIP be compatible with recordings saved off of a 622 to hard drives? Would a SlingBox or extender or whatever be able to send HD to multiple rooms? I only have (relatively) slow DSL, if that's a factor.

stimpson said:
So this thing will work with existing VIP receivers, or will it have to be connected to the 813?

Pretty safe bet it works with the XiP813 alone. ViPs weren't designed with this in mind.

I don't think a second stream really taxes the system all that much. Given the fact that the video that's recorded to the hard drive and played back is already compressed and it's hardware that decodes it for playback on the TV. So there's some extra head room. And come on, the boxes we have now can record up to four video streams and play back two. I think newer boxes have the horsepower to do picture in picture.

Could someone please help me figure out what my optimum configuration would be? Ideally, I would like a hub DVR, one that could access the programming I have saved on extension hard drives. I would like to also be able to watch live and recorded HD programming in at least two other rooms. Would I be better off with slinging or the XIP? Will the XIP be compatible with recordings saved off of a 622 to hard drives? Would a SlingBox or extender or whatever be able to send HD to multiple rooms? I only have (relatively) slow DSL, if that's a factor.

bondfool, the XIP setup is exactly what you are looking for. The XiP 813 is the hub DVR. All inputs and recordings are stored on the 813 unit. The XiP 110 units are really just remote viewing devices that view content (recorded and live HD and SD) from the 813 over the existing cable in your house. For in-house viewing you would not need the sling adapter. One XiP 813 and two XiP 110's would do exactly what you describe.

As for compatibility with content from a 622 external drive - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn it was mentioned somewhere that the 813 will be able to use archive drives from the 622/722 receivers.

bondfool, the XIP setup is exactly what you are looking for. The XiP 813 is the hub DVR. All inputs and recordings are stored on the 813 unit. The XiP 110 units are really just remote viewing devices that view content (recorded and live HD and SD) from the 813 over the existing cable in your house. For in-house viewing you would not need the sling adapter. One XiP 813 and two XiP 110's would do exactly what you describe.

As for compatibility with content from a 622 external drive - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn it was mentioned somewhere that the 813 will be able to use archive drives from the 622/722 receivers.

So, in theory, I could dump my 622 onto an external drive, and move all my recordings to the 813? Awesome. Thanks for the advice!

So, in theory, I could dump my 622 onto an external drive, and move all my recordings to the 813? Awesome. Thanks for the advice!
wouldn't go that far ... because often they limit what DVR can access which other DVR's recordings via External Hard drive ... E.G. 211k external Hard Drive would be reformatted if attached to anything else.

Also the 813 is still dish ... so if you wanted HTPC stuff... you'd still have to resort to something else in the mix and that wouldn't go across to the xip 110's. Dish should work on a Media Server ... rather than just one form..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts