Questions about the new XiP Receivers?

Well now that we are almost to November, and there has not been rumors of a beta program yet... I am predicting another 922 type delay, release spring/summer next year....

I predicted a late release for this new receiver months ago. Anytime DISH promises ANY release date , add 6 months to a year to it and you MIGHT get it to market. Just look at the sling extender. Promised last year in July and still waiting and waiting and waiting.....

Well now that we are almost to November, and there has not been rumors of a beta program yet... I am predicting another 922 type delay, release spring/summer next year....

I don't think a release date was ever announced. November was only touted as the echostar to dish delivery date, and then only at a dealer conference AFAIK. Based on the tone of the reports posted here it was non-committal - words like expecting to, hope to, etc if I recall correctly. Any reasonable person can extrapolate that means next year at the earliest.

This is where companies are damned if they do/damned if they don't. They needed to give a peek at what was coming, in turn they had to answer questions they'd rather not. I'd be surprised if the comments were not surrounded by the proper disclaimers, but nobody hears them.

Will they miss a date once announced? Probably, but start the clock at the right point.

I don't think they announced any date... just Scott relaying to us he was told that Echostar was going to hand off the hardware to DISH in November. He even said himself that it didn't look like a product that was going to be put out this year.

Conversely, then don't whine about an announced model not having that feature. Just don't buy/lease it.
No whining here, if...you would have read the thread you would realize the 110 has no PIP or so they say, I have not seen read or heard if the 813 will or will not, and apparently no one else has. Thanks for your input.

I would think that Dish may have a sense of urgency for making the 813 available since Direct currently advertises HD in every room. In any event, I don’t think the 813 will be available until after the first quarter next year. Just my guess.
When the 813 was first announced, I remember hearing about an availability date of November 1[SUP]st[/SUP] which Scott immediately dismissed as highly improbable.

Dish has been focused on Blockbuster and streaming I think ... which to me makes more sense for them ... versus getting the 813 out.

I would think that Dish may have a sense of urgency for making the 813 available since Direct currently advertises HD in every room.

I think this is probably true, and why I think using the 922 or mythical sling extender as timeline comparisons is not worth much.

The vision for the 922 was a cool idea, but in the end only a niche product. Same for the sling extender - only of interest to a small subset of 922 or adapter users. Dish knows exactly how many (or few) potential customers are out there for the extender.

XIP is key to being competitive in the overall market. D*'s MRV and others have already proven people will pay for it. I would bet they are pulling out all the stops to get it out.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it though. It will still probably still be later than we want.

I don't think that to be 100% either though ... case in point.. if dish *had* the extender available.. it *would* enable HD at a second location, that combined with whole house SD (which the 722's & 922's already do) would be the alternative..

Think of ... if you wanted HD at every TV ... but you never had more than a need of 2 TV's on at any time ... and one was always at the box.. then sell 3 extenders ... the 4th TV is the main / TV1 location, the other three become one at a time remote HD boxes.

The 813 & 113 combos are the next logical step ... similar in nature to the "extender"

Now here's something *REALLY* on the fringe... what if.. they made it possible for the sling adapter/dish receiver able to drive the 110 via ethernet ... rather than the moca *cable* version..

I think if the sling extender had been released, there would've been a somewhat big market for them. Then again, only dish knows how many subs have HD. I hope we won't see an extremely long wait for the XIPs though. With the HR34 on the horizon for D*, it'll be tempting for me to switch when my contract runs out in Feb 2013. Hopefully the XIPs will be out by then.

I think this is probably true, and why I think using the 922 or mythical sling extender as timeline comparisons is not worth much.

The vision for the 922 was a cool idea, but in the end only a niche product. Same for the sling extender - only of interest to a small subset of 922 or adapter users. Dish knows exactly how many (or few) potential customers are out there for the extender.

XIP is key to being competitive in the overall market. D*'s MRV and others have already proven people will pay for it. I would bet they are pulling out all the stops to get it out.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it though. It will still probably still be later than we want.

The sling extender delay is just annoying. If I remember correctly Scott had commented that they had it working with the 922 with 922 menus but were going to delay the release until they had it also working with the 722 w/722 menus. They should release it for the 922 only to at least give the 922 a temporary perk...

I don't think that to be 100% either though ... case in point.. if dish *had* the extender available.. it *would* enable HD at a second location, that combined with whole house SD (which the 722's & 922's already do) would be the alternative..
I agree that could be viable if the extender were truly transparent. I've personally never felt the extender would be a really good second TV option, especially as a "standard" option. I may be too pessimistic, but the idea of the internet based guide, the delay with channel changing and "trick features," and the probable quality hit would lead to a lot customer frustration.

Now here's something *REALLY* on the fringe... what if.. they made it possible for the sling adapter/dish receiver able to drive the 110 via ethernet ... rather than the moca *cable* version..
I've wondered the same thing. I doubt there is any technical reason they couln't make it happen. Whether there is the will or not is another question.

That is essentially how the DISH Remote Access apps and old website worked when you used the remote functions. So it's really not that out there.

The sling extender delay is just annoying. .... They should release it for the 922 only to at least give the 922 a temporary perk...

I agree it's annoying, and if it had been released I may well have upgraded to a 922.

But at this point is there a viable market?

Despite the noise level here, most folks have no idea the extender is a potential product. I have no idea of the real numbers, but I would bet the number of 922s are only in the thousands. Of those 922 customers, most are probably not all that cost conscience and likely already have HD at their second TVs already. If they sell into that base, they potentially canibalize current leases. Of the remaining 922 customers that are somewhat cost conscience, the extender would have to be priced low enough for them - $99 to at most $199. They have to have enough margin to offset support costs (they have trouble with the current software viewers working consistently through Dish Online). If they thought they could make money with a 922 only version, they would release it. They obviously don't think the numbers are there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)