Questions About Voom, Tivo and DVR's

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
OK I'm a newbie when it comes to Tivo and DVR's...I don't have one, but I'd like to. I've heard Voom is coming out with a DVR.....and then there's Tivo.

Will Tivo work with Voom? Tivo charges around $12 a month, will Voom charge us so much more a month too?

Also does Tivo have the HD capacity to store HD programming?

If Tivo isn't an option, what's the latest word on what Voom will ask for their DVR's?

Will they allow us to rent the DVR in place of the STR box we now have or will we have to rent both boxes? Or do we have to buy it? Can we buy other DVR's on the market that will work?

:D

TiVo, ReplayTV, and other of-the-shelf DVRs work with VOOM just fine, but only in SD. There is currently no DVR capable of recording HD signal from VOOM. The upcoming VOOM DVR will be able to do that. The DVR will have all features of the existing STB plus the recording and playback features, and eventually multi-room capabilities. It is expected that the DVR will be available for rent, though pricing and specifics have not been determined/announced yet.

I am moving this thread to the VOOM DVR Discussions Forum. Please check out other threads in this forum for details about the upcoming VOOM DVR.

kirkdj said:
Will Tivo work with Voom?
I have both Voom and cable running into a Series2 Tivo, and absolutely love it. It obvisouly only records in SD, but you can still record both SD and HD channels. In my case though, I had Tivo before I got Voom, so I didn't have to make the decision on whether or not to make the investment. Since you can get a Tivo for $99 right now, I think it's a good way to go. You can always sell it once the Voom DVR comes out.

Tivo would change the way you watch TV. My other half steers clear of my techie toys, but she loves Tivo, and could become a Tivo saleswoman she talks it up so much! :)

So what about the aspect ratios? Obviously you'd have to come out of the Voom STB with S-Video into the Tivo, but can you record HD material to the Tivo in letterbox format and then stretch it to 16x9?

I.e., can it work like a non-anamorphic DVD?

Is it interlaced or progressive scan?

dledeaux said:
I.e., can it work like a non-anamorphic DVD?
Yes, it can! You set the STB "Wide to narrow" to "Squeeze" and then you stretch the picture during the playback.

Is it interlaced or progressive scan?
Since it goes through s-video or composite, it has to be interlaced...

dledeaux said:
So what about the aspect ratios? Obviously you'd have to come out of the Voom STB with S-Video into the Tivo, but can you record HD material to the Tivo in letterbox format and then stretch it to 16x9?
I have Tivo hooked up only on my SD TV, so that isn't something I've had to deal with myself since I'm watching the Tivo on 4:3. I would certainly assume that would be the case though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)