Questions before making the switch...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cashmonee

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
Fresno, CA
I am a current Dish Network subscriber and am close to making the switch to DirecTV. It seems like with the HR-24, DirecTV has caught up with the Dish equipment, especially speedwise which is important to me. I also would love to have the MRV. So I have a couple of questions.

First, should I worry about not getting an HR-24? I thought I had seen on here that all new subs are getting them. Is that the case or do I need to request it? Will requesting actually make a difference?

Second, I plan on possibly getting two DVRs and going with the MRV. My house is already wire for Ethernet and coax in every room. Do I need a DECA (or whatever they call it) or will regular Ethernet work? What about hooking up for OnDemand as well? Will regular Ethernet work there or do I need to pay the $25 Internet Connection fee?

Lastly, I am happy with the placement of my current Dish. Assuming he can get a good view of the part of the sky he needs (which I am almost 100% he will) will they be able to put the dish in the same spot?

Thanks in advance for any responses! Also, is there anything else to watch out for when ordering?

I am a current Dish Network subscriber and am close to making the switch to DirecTV. It seems like with the HR-24, DirecTV has caught up with the Dish equipment, especially speedwise which is important to me. I also would love to have the MRV. So I have a couple of questions.

First, should I worry about not getting an HR-24? I thought I had seen on here that all new subs are getting them. Is that the case or do I need to request it? Will requesting actually make a difference?

Second, I plan on possibly getting two DVRs and going with the MRV. My house is already wire for Ethernet and coax in every room. Do I need a DECA (or whatever they call it) or will regular Ethernet work? What about hooking up for OnDemand as well? Will regular Ethernet work there or do I need to pay the $25 Internet Connection fee?

Lastly, I am happy with the placement of my current Dish. Assuming he can get a good view of the part of the sky he needs (which I am almost 100% he will) will they be able to put the dish in the same spot?

Thanks in advance for any responses! Also, is there anything else to watch out for when ordering?

Here's what usually will work, D* cannot tell you what HD DVR you'll get,it comes down to what the installer has on the truck,/ warehouse, the guy that came to my place said the HR24's are all they are using at this time. Thats MY area, not everywhere.

You mentioned MRV, let D* know when you order that you are planning on doing the MRV, that requires DECA and they will send the HR24's out as they are already set up for it.

Btw, requesting a model won't get you anywhere, depends what your local has.

If the current DISH, dish is in a clear spot chances are he'll set it in the same area, let him know thats where you'd like it.

First, should I worry about not getting an HR-24?
If you can't stand to wait for channel changes and/or the guide or info screens to pop up, absolutely.
I thought I had seen on here that all new subs are getting them.
Not everyone. I have an entirely unsupported pet theory that ordering Whole Home DVR Service may help your chances.
Is that the case or do I need to request it? Will requesting actually make a difference?
You get what you get and it may be new or it may be refurbished. The only thing you're unlikely to get is an HD DVR with a pair of OTA tuners built in.
If you use DECA, you'll need to pop for the additional cost network bridge unit. If your existing network works, it works.
Not exactly the same spot, but in the area. The dish mounts are not compatible and they're usually averse to removing a mount (leak problems).
Also, is there anything else to watch out for when ordering?
Make sure you get everything you might want as you're only a virgin once. If you're interested in receiving channels OTA, try to make a bargain for it up front.

Make sure you get everything you might want as you're only a virgin once. If you're interested in receiving channels OTA, try to make a bargain for it up front.

Very true, if your thinking about getting HD recvrs, get them NOW., so if you have 1 Main HD set and don't need a HD elsewhere, but might soon, get it now, your deals are best RIGHT NOW.

Thanks for the quick responses! I am thinking I want two DVRs to be sure that there will not be any conflicts. Will the MRV work for both? Or is it more an option of MRV with one DVR or two DVR and no MRV?

Also, I am a AAA member and they have a discount on top of the nationally advertised deals. Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks for the quick responses! I am thinking I want two DVRs to be sure that there will not be any conflicts. Will the MRV work for both? Or is it more an option of MRV with one DVR or two DVR and no MRV?

Also, I am a AAA member and they have a discount on top of the nationally advertised deals. Does anyone have experience with that?

Ya, it's to bad that the AAA discount isn't available to existing subs. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Non-SWM to Swm

What will DTV replace my flaky HR10-250 with?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)