Questions: Could I do this?

familyupnorth

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
O.K. Forgive me if this seems like an obvious question, but I am pretty new to this.

Question # 1 To keep things simple for my family, could I set up glorystar, and then add a fixed FTA dish and receiver at another satellite to pick up some more channels? I am assuming I would just use a switch. I'm not sure I want to mess around with a motor, and it may be too confusing for members of my family.

Question # 2 Assuming the above is possible, what satellite would you recommend as a candidate to aim at besides glorystar?

Thanks in advance for your help

O.K. Forgive me if this seems like an obvious question, but I am pretty new to this.
no question is obvious. What's new to you might be new to someone else next week and was new to someone a month ago :)

Question # 1 To keep things simple for my family, could I set up glorystar, and then add a fixed FTA dish and receiver at another satellite to pick up some more channels? I am assuming I would just use a switch. I'm not sure I want to mess around with a motor, and it may be too confusing for members of my family.
correct. The Glorystar system comes with a diseqc switch to combine the two Glorystar satellites together. You can add another fixed dish to the same setup through the diseqc switch

Question # 2 Assuming the above is possible, what satellite would you recommend as a candidate to aim at besides glorystar?

Thanks in advance for your help

check out thelist (at top). Main one people like is G10 at 123 west. Has a fair amount of network channels and RTN (older classic shows) the Retro TV Network :)

Iceberg - thanks for the answer.

If I am understanding you correctly, then I would only need the one glorystar box with a second dish to make this work?

I would think the new DVR box would have the same ability.

correct. The Glorystar system comes with a diseqc switch to combine the two Glorystar satellites together. You can add another fixed dish to the same setup through the diseqc switch

:)

Good information, Iceberg. :D I would only add: Ask your Glorystar rep to substitute a switch for 4 LNBF's for the 2 port switch that comes standard. My rep suggested it and as I hooked things up, I understood it even better.:) That has been a good addition as I experiment.
POP:up

Iceberg - thanks for the answer.

If I am understanding you correctly, then I would only need the one glorystar box with a second dish to make this work?

I would think the new DVR box would have the same ability.

correct

setup would be as such

receiver---------------diseqc port 1----------------glorystar sat 1 (101)
-------------------------diseqc port 2----------------glorystar sat 2 (97)
-------------------------diseqc port 3----------------2nd fixed dish

Good information, Iceberg. :D I would only add: Ask your Glorystar rep to substitute a switch for 4 LNBF's for the 2 port switch that comes standard. My rep suggested it and as I hooked things up, I understood it even better.:) That has been a good addition as I experiment.

good point :)

G10 has an elevation angle of 31.2 degrees for my location. Anyone else with low elevation angles, are G10 transponders strong enough for low look angles? Is there anything close that could share a dual feed with G10 and use the other switch port? As a point of interest the 4 port switch is cheaper than the 3 port!

Wow! I should have no problem with my 31.2 if I can find a hole in the trees. I did a quick check today but it was raining and I didn't stay out long enough to finalize an acceptable (to my wife!) location.

NAh, that's not low....try to hit 30 w.....my elevation is 11.5 - and it booms!

got ya beat....
9.9 elevation for 30W :)

elder...my G10 is around 30 elevation. The 4 "main" transponders I get the following readings (frequency first)
11800 quality 90
11720 quality 75
12103 quality 99
12113 quality 90

Um..... sorry, not sure what you mean. Can you explain a little bit more please? Thanks. :eek:

When you order the Glorystar setup, the switch they supply (to switch between the Glorystar sats) is a 2 way switch

If you want to add another dish in the mix, you need 3 inputs so when you order the setup, just tell them you need a 4 port switch instead of the two port (there are no 3 way Diseqc switches that I've seen)

this is the switch that comes with the system
DISEQC2X1GEOSATPRO.JPG

and this is the upgrade
SATAV_DISEQC4X1_LORES.JPG

O.K. That makes perfect sense now. Thanks for the pictures, that really cleared it up. :up I appreciate all the help.

P.S. Does the 4 port switch mean technically you could add 2 extra dishes to the glorystar, or would the box not be able to handle it?

Most receivers have diseqc options 1-4 (for each dish/LNB)...so yes you could do 4 dishes (or more correctly, 4 LNB's...the eye part on the dish)
(technically you could do 8 by adding another type of switchbut we'll leave it at 4 for now) ;)

I am intrigued at the other possibilities for the four port switch. For example, I have a need to switch amplified ota antennas. Can I build or buy a control box for these switches so that a compatible receiver is not required?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)