Questions for Joe Clayton?

Mentioned in the other tech thread but perhaps it would be a good question for Mr.Clayton..

Any chances that they will implement the tivo like features on the Dish dvrs now that the lawsuit is settled?

Ask him if he thinks the industry has made any movement on al-la carte pricing?

With so many on-demand options, like dishonline, it would be great if I could use Dish only for sport networks. Conversely, my mother a few miles away would love to be able to remove all sports networks.

There seems to be a difference in engineering philosophy between Dish and Direct. Specifically, it looks like Direct is going ALL IN for server based content delivery using thin RVU clients. The groundwork requires a server host with a bunch of GENERAL purpose tuners so thin clients have something to connect to.

Is this a difference in philosophy between Dish and Direct, or a difference in R&D expenditures? If it is R&D, how is their corporate outcome going to differ from BlackBerry or is it even a good direction to go?

1. NBC Sports Channel is available in the lower tiered packages most customers subscribe to with other television service providers. On Dish, it's in America's Top 250, a more expensive package. Given the channel's extensive slate of NHL exclusive regular season and playoff games, and plans to compete with ESPN, can we get it moved down to AT120+?

2. How about moving MSNBC down to AT120+? There's a right-wing news channel (FOX News) and a centrist news channel (CNN) in the package, but nothing for the liberals.

3. Has the business model of offering price breaks to retain long-term subscribers rather than promotional rates to lure in new ones been considered? An example of what I'm talking about would be Boost Mobile's "shrinkage" plan for it's cell phone customers. Every 6 month's you stick with them, they cut your regular monthly bill $5, until eventually you're saving $15-$20 a month for life over the regular rate.

Came up with another one:

4. Any chance of adding significantly viewed over-the-air channels from adjacent markets that many cable companies carry? Not having them can be a real competitive disadvantage for Dish during football season, when a channel from a nearby market available on cable may be showing someone's favorite regional team and the one in the local DMA isn't. Local commuters may also prefer to see news telecasts from the DMA where they work and play rather than just where they sleep at night. Also, the DMA lines are sometimes rather arbitrarily drawn and don't always put someone in with the closest metropolitan area (So significantly viewed channels from adjacent DMAs are actually really the hometown stations for some people).

wall street journal today is saying Netflix is a viable candidate for a buy out. What are the plans for Dishnetwork looking forward in streaming and in aquistions

My question would be the plans regarding streaming content via the receivers over the Internet, ie whether BBMP is just the beginning (currently EPIX, SMC, Retro, etc... streaming, but plans to expand like Amazon, Netflix, etc...) or is Dish happy where their streaming content stands at.

Additionally, any word on the terribly outdated OnDemand video interface entering the 21st century? Great menu on the 722k, but the OnDemand is absurdly slow, looks bad, and in general makes streaming unpleasant.

If possible, give a thumbs up with the whole DIRT thing.

Ask him if he thinks the industry has made any movement on al-la carte pricing?

With so many on-demand options, like dishonline, it would be great if I could use Dish only for sport networks. Conversely, my mother a few miles away would love to be able to remove all sports networks.

If you use Dish only for sports networks, you would only have that content available On Demand. You don't subscribe to the channel you don't get the OD content. That's a provider issue.

I asked this before and the answer was no as they are still charging less for the equipment then what it costs them to make.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Well I'm sure I've already paid of what my 722 over 5 times already. If it was really true they would stop charging when the price of the equipment was covered (like cellphones).

Agreed...Joe needs to hear (again?) the praises of the DIRT team.
Me and Joe talked about DIRT today. :) I think he knows what an asset they are to the company! :D

Attachments

• DSC_0459.jpg
    DSC_0459.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 33,345
There are very few more full of **** than me, but I don't see smith ? in that picture anywhere. Looks like pictures speak louder than words.

When/if/ever will they add ANY 3D programming as virtually every other provider on the planet has......
Comcast, one of the top two providers in the US, offers only one channel (ESPN 3D) in certain areas of 18 states. Hardly a bounty of linear 3D goodness.

Any chance those of us the New York market will see sports again on Dish? No SNY, no MSG, and no YES is really getting old. The claim is that all these channels want tons of money. I do find it odd that when the channels we used to get like MSG and YES disappear, my monthly rate fails to go down. I find myself paying the same amount for less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts