Quetzsat 1 Successfully Launched!

Quetzsat still at 67.1W

Echostar granted FCC ground communication and SUB receiver license move from 77.0W to 76.85W for Echostar 8 effective Dec 19.

This clears the 77.0W position for planned location of Quetzsat 1 at 77.0W.

Why are they setting on it.?

It's like the Cone of Silence is covering it. No news from Echostar, no news from FCC, no news in Brazil, no news in Mexico.

Probably something like 3-4 hundred million investment sitting there.

Going to be interesting to see what the suprise is when they make their move.

Is my memory going? :confused: The Cone of Silence worked too well, and Smart and the Chief always had to turn the *&^$ thing off before they could communicate.

Kinda why he said it never worked. Matter of perspective. ;)

They couldn't hear each other inside the cone, and others could hear them outside of it. I'd call that "doesn't work". :)

It's like the Cone of Silence is covering it. No news from Echostar, no news from FCC, no news in Brazil, no news in Mexico.
I'm not too worried about things. It's a foreign-licensed sat and I haven't found any country that has filings as complete as the FCC so I don't expect to hear anything for a sat that isn't under FCC license other than the request to serve the U.S. from a foreign licensed sat. The only thing I would expect to hear is a press release if they found a problem testing out QuetzSat-1 and I have not seen one of those.

Echostar would probably have to report any major problem with the satellite pretty quick since they are leasing it, they are a public company and it would affect major assets. So, I suspect it is not a technical problem with the satellite.

Perhaps they are just negotiating slots with the FCC. What to do with E8 and such before they start the move. It is not like they will really get more coverage from the new satellite so they have plenty of time to make deals.

Echostar would probably have to report any major problem with the satellite pretty quick since they are leasing it, they are a public company and it would affect major assets. So, I suspect it is not a technical problem with the satellite.
too early to say. If there is a problem, it can wait until a quarterly report as it would be significant enough to be reported to shareholders like me but not urgent enough to be a showstopper that they've used as an event for immediate reporting.
Perhaps they are just negotiating slots with the FCC. What to do with E8 and such before they start the move.
I don't see what E8 has to do with it. There is plenty of space to stationkeep several satellites in a single slot. A few slots over north america are filled with 3 or more sats so it should be no problem for QuetzSat-1 to coexist with other sats in a slot and go into service if Echostar's request to serve the U.S. from a Mexican licensed slot/satellite has been approved.

What I meant about E8 is that Echostar wants to move it to another slot where they were supposed to build a new satellite. FCC said no, an old satellite is not as good as a new satellite (i.e. Dish needs to build a satellite if they want the slot).

What I meant about E8 is that Echostar wants to move it to another slot where they were supposed to build a new satellite. FCC said no, an old satellite is not as good as a new satellite (i.e. Dish needs to build a satellite if they want the slot).

Use of slot (86.5W) has been revoked for failure to perform per the license. This threw the 86.5W slot back into an old lawsuit where applications have been frozen (for 10 years or so) waiting for new rules.
E8 at 77W has a checkered history with them first saying they would likely move it to 148W when Quetzsat launched and next asking to move to 86.5W and the latest approved (but not moved) request to move it a couple tenths of a degree at 77W and maintain it as spare capacity.

The only pending approval at 77W is for Dish US earth stations (home receivers) use of Quetzsat. Echostar has a Quetzsat license for home receivers in the US.

I'd guess they are deep into a deal and the silence has to do either with competitive moves either in Mexico or Brazil or as leverage for licenses either in Mexico (where Slim wants to get involved but is presenty barred from TV) or Brazil (where Echostar/Hughes was awarded 2 new licenses that are being contested). I can imagine them telling two sets of regulators " you want it, it's sitting there ready to go but if you jack us around we will go to the other market" (Brazil or Mexico).

Dish license for 1 million receivers to access Quetzsat 1 at 77W was released by FCC on Jan 17, 2012.

FCC INTERNATIONAL BUREAU

License includes variance for unanticipated interference between Echostar satellites at 77W observed during testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)