Quick Facts for 622 and 222

I have a Samsung 1080 TV and a 942. To get a 622 is going to cost me $300. Am I likely to see a significant improvement in PQ with a 622? What other advantages are there in switching to the 622?

The 622 can pick up the new MPEG4 HD channels while your 942 can only get the old MPEG2 HD pack. I upgraded from a 921 primarily to get the dish local LA network channels and did not find any significant improvement in picture quality, but the 622 is much more stable with lots of bangs and whistles that the 921 didn't have.

GregH said:
I have a Samsung 1080 TV and a 942. To get a 622 is going to cost me $300. Am I likely to see a significant improvement in PQ with a 622? What other advantages are there in switching to the 622?

Actually if you turn you 942 back in you get a $200 credit on your bill so the net out of pocket for the change to the 622 is $99.

The 222 will be coming out. My guess is in the fall. I think it is really an exciting receiver. It is the 322 with HD and MPEG4.

OTA question

When you use the OTA option, the antenna goes into the receiver correct? Once it is in the receiver, does the program guide recognize my locals? Also, using the OTA option, can you use the DVR function with the channels that come in OTA? (i.e. record local channels on the hard drive?)

Thanks

samgovol said:
When you use the OTA option, the antenna goes into the receiver correct? Once it is in the receiver, does the program guide recognize my locals?

You have to go in and scan for them and it will find the ones with a signal.

Also, using the OTA option, can you use the DVR function with the channels that come in OTA? (i.e. record local channels on the hard drive?)

Thanks

Yes, you can record your OTA channels.

samgovol said:
When you use the OTA option, the antenna goes into the receiver correct? Once it is in the receiver, does the program guide recognize my locals? Also, using the OTA option, can you use the DVR function with the channels that come in OTA? (i.e. record local channels on the hard drive?)

Thanks
Clarification: if you subscribe to the SD locals package for your area, you will get guide data for some or most of the digital locals. In most cases channel xx-1 will be the OTA digital equivalent of xx-0 which is the analog local from the satellite. Both have the same guide information regardless of whether they are always showing the same content. Other OTA channels such as xx-2 will simply be listed as "Digital Service" so you would have to setup manual timers for those.

For whatever reason, Dish has chosen not to use the guide info contained within the PSIP data provided by the OTA stations. Perhaps they have not yet come up with a way to integrate it into the existing guide without causing reliability or DVR problems.

SatelliteGAL said:
Yes, you can record your OTA channels.
Just for clarification, you can only record DIGITAL channels.

This applies to ALL E* receivers with OTA capability.

Note that last time I checked, not all E* receivers could even see analog, so it might be a moot point for the 622 and/or 211.

I've got a 622 on the way. I had a question about the difference between single mode and duel mode, how many things can be watched/recorded simultaneously for each mode?

Either way I think I wan't it all to be kept on my HDTV. I can just switch between inputs if duel mode is better.

There is nothing "kept on your HDTV". It is all stored on the box. In single or dual mode you can record 2 satellite feeds and 1 OTA digital feed at the same time (any combination of HD or non-HD). In Single mode you can watch 1 previously recorded show while all 3 tuners are recording. In dual mode you can watch 2 previously recorded shows while all 3 tuners are recording.

Cool! I get it now. Thanks.

By "Kept on the HDTV" I meant I would run dual mode on 1TV(2 different inputs) rather than 2tv's across the house.

but now I think I'll just stick with single mode. HD PIP!

Last edited:
Yep, very cool device. Feel free to ask anything else, there are tons of people here that know more than me and are very willing to help.

lakebum431 said:
Yep, very cool device. Feel free to ask anything else, there are tons of people here that know more than me and are very willing to help.

As long as you mention it..... :)

I've had the 622 since last Friday, and there is (at least) ONE thing that is driving me loopy, despite searches:How do you set the output resolution? I have a Samsung DLP that I believe does native 1080i and, after seeing the crappy quality of some of the E* channels (especially NYC locals) I thought maybe the 622 was set incorrectly. I know about the HDTV setup option but that's for OTA, which I don't have. Since I HAVE come across threads in which reference is made to setting the output resolution of the 622 my question, again, is: So, WHERE IS IT? (ducking)

Thanks for any pointers.

=NLK=

nlk10010 said:
I know about the HDTV setup option but that's for OTA, which I don't have. Since I HAVE come across threads in which reference is made to setting the output resolution of the 622 my question, again, is: So, WHERE IS IT? (ducking)

I thought that the "HDTV Setup" screen was the output setup screen. Mind you, I'm still trying to figure out (check the rest of the threads for mine) what the "analog input" setting is for. I can't make sense of it.

Jim S. said:
I thought that the "HDTV Setup" screen was the output setup screen. Mind you, I'm still trying to figure out (check the rest of the threads for mine) what the "analog input" setting is for. I can't make sense of it.

Well, on either this or another forum I was told explicitly that the HDTV SETUP option is JUST for OTA sources and useless if you aren't receiving OTA signals. The ANALOG INPUT setting then has something to do with the sequence/format in which you're getting the channels (I think :) ) but IN NO CASE has anything to do with what happens to the signals you receive on the 622's satellite inputs.

Go figure.

=NLK=

nlk10010 said:
Well, on either this or another forum I was told explicitly that the HDTV SETUP option is JUST for OTA sources and useless if you aren't receiving OTA signals. The ANALOG INPUT setting then has something to do with the sequence/format in which you're getting the channels (I think :) ) but IN NO CASE has anything to do with what happens to the signals you receive on the 622's satellite inputs.

Go figure.

=NLK=
HDTV setup screen is for ALL sources and for the analog output by the Agile Modulator. MENU-6-8 I believe (I'm not at home right now).

Jim5506 said:
HDTV setup screen is for ALL sources and for the analog output by the Agile Modulator. MENU-6-8 I believe (I'm not at home right now).

If it's for the analog output, why does it say "analog input module"? And why is there a seperate air/cable (albeit without the HRC/ICC options) setting in the modulator setup screen? And why would it be on the HDTV Setup screen? Doesn't it only output SD via the modulator?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)