Quick mini Genie question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, just talked to DTV about adding another receiver out there with another dish, but that would make me set up another account with all the applicable fees...so that don's save me any...I reckon either Vulkano or Sling might be the only way to get TV in the mancave....well, short of digging and burying coax, and that ain't really the problem, it's getting outside of the stucco house envelope and down to the ground with an 8' concrete porch surrounding the house! The things we put up with to save a buck..(or 50/mo)
No, you don't need another account. Just get another dish installed, either do it yourself or get an independent contractor to do it. You can have multiple dishes on a single property on a single account, many people do. I have a separate dish on my home office in the back yard and its perfectly legal.

I've got dishes I can install, the little lady at the other end of the phone said another receiver AND dish would cost me another account, I wouldn't have minded another $6.50/mo for just a simple HD receiver but was told another separate dish would cost me more....

I've got dishes I can install, the little lady at the other end of the phone said another receiver AND dish would cost me another account, I wouldn't have minded another $6.50/mo for just a simple HD receiver but was told another separate dish would cost me more....
She just does not understand what is going on. Maybe its because you are asking DirecTv to do an install and its being treated like a separate house.
Just install the dish and put a receiver there. If it's a receiver you already have and is active on your account you don't have to do anything except power it up (and change dish types if they are different, but if I were you I would use the same dish type you have on the main house, it makes life much easier.)

Reactions: Troch77
I'll hit 'em up again tomorrow and try to explain what the heck I'm doing.....seems like all I should pay is an extra $6.50/mo.....thanks!

Reactions: Troch77
I'll hit 'em up again tomorrow and try to explain what the heck I'm doing.....seems like all I should pay is an extra $6.50/mo.....thanks!
You don't even need to do that, as long as you have room on your main house system SWM. Just order another receiver (or get one from solid signal).
Of course if another receiver puts you over the tuner limit, they will come out and install and SWM16 (assuming you have an SWM LNB at the moment). You will NOT be able to stop them doing that, because they will look at your system in total.....
What's your current system look like?

Just changing over from Dish, installer gets here next week. And I have a leftover slimline dish from moving a friend out of his apt...getting a Genie DVR and one mini genie for the main house....

DIRECTV only installs one dish per account. If you need a second dish you need to work it out with the installer. Either pay $1.00 a foot to have tech bury the line ($100 since first 20 feet are free!) or give him half of that to install a second dish.

DIRECTV only installs one dish per account. If you need a second dish you need to work it out with the installer. Either pay $1.00 a foot to have tech bury the line ($100 since first 20 feet are free!) or give him half of that to install a second dish.

my buddy showed me the custom labor prices they charge, its like ~$135 for a second dish and all the associated parts, paid to the tech @ install. granted he doesn't set the price, so a subcontractor may charge less. if he goes the 2nd dish route, its probably cheaper just to put it up himself, run the line, and then have a service call to get the tech to line up the dish if he cant get it. just make sure to hit the stud :)

I can install the dish, done that a bunch with my own and other folks'. So I reckon I can add in one more plain jane hd receiver to my account for $6.50, get the installer to make sure it works in the house, then install the slimline dish I already have on the shop and the mancave is setup.....

I can install the dish, done that a bunch with my own and other folks'. So I reckon I can add in one more plain jane hd receiver to my account for $6.50, get the installer to make sure it works in the house, then install the slimline dish I already have on the shop and the mancave is setup.....
Yes, with two caveats.
1) The dish you will get installed with the Genie will have an SWM LNB (one output). Your "spare" dish is probably a Slimline with a conventional LNB (four outputs). Switching a receiver from an SWM system to a conventional system can be painful, if it were me I would consider replacing the LNB in the "spare" slimline with an SWM LNB (with associated power inserter), eBay is the best inexpensive source for those.
2) Most people in your area (San Antonio locals, yes?) will have a Slimline SL3S installed, which receives the 99/101/103 satellite slots. But if you are subscribing to the ethnic package on the 119 satellite, the installer will install an SL5S, which also receives 119 (you need to make sure this happens if you need 119). In this case the LNB you need on the "spare" dish also needs to be the 5LNB not the 3LNB.

Yikes, don't have to worry about issue 2 since I'm just getting the basic Xtra packag. So I guess I should install the dish on the shop before the installer gets here and see if he can make sure the LNB (it is a four prong) will work with the extra receiver....or at least point me toward the correct LNB...

Unless you can negotiate something with him, he will want to install the extra receiver as part of your main house installation, that will be what is on his work order.
Once the receiver is set up on the home SWM system, it's quite possible to move it to the older LNB. It's just a bit messy if the "spare" dish isn't actually aligned yet. If you can persuade him (and pay him!) to align the "spare" dish with his meter, connecting the receiver is easy, just go into sat setup, change the multiswitch setting to "multiswitch" and then change the dish setting to the correct Slimline.

[QUOTE="texasbrit, post: 3726439, member: 43098"If you can persuade him (and pay him!) to align the "spare" dish with his meter, connecting the receiver is easy, just go into sat setup, change the multiswitch setting to "multiswitch" and then change the dish setting to the correct Slimline.[/QUOTE]

have the dish up and wire ran to the TV, shouldnt be too much of an issue. just tip him well for the hassle.

Reactions: Hutch1814
All right, the dish is installed on the shop! The current LNB on it is a SL3K..., with 4 coax connectors, does it matter which one I hook the cable to? Figured if I did that, all the installer would have to do is point and adjust for signal....Thanks for all the great advice!

doesnt matter what port you use. if you have caps for the other ports, may not hurt to cover them. but not a biggie if you dont.

Well, so much for all that work...called Dtv to get the additional receiver for the shop and they stated that I could get additional minis, but no just plain hd receiver. Seems like it depends who you get on the phone with these operators, but I was on hold for 5 minutes when he came back and said that'll be $99 plus $6.50/mo. When I told him that online it would let add the additional receiver for free AND the previous operator stated it would just be an extra $6.50/mo, he stated that if my shop was that far away it was like adding another house to the account. Long story short, cancelled the install and will just stay with Dish and my wireless networked Joey....
Thanks for all y'all's help, but if customer service is this screwed up this early in the game, it wasn't worth the hassle, not to mention the 2 hours setting up the freakin dish yesterday!

They don't give H25s for free anymore.
Unless it a 1 room system.

They now Give H44, with clients, or HR44 with Clients for free up to 4 rooms.
Otherwise it's $99 for an H25 and $199 for an HR.
As a New customer they should have offered you either a discount, or it for free.

But to be Fair Dish made me buy the 211z I wanted to add to my Hopper account.
Even as a new customer.
But I only paid $89 for it and I own it.

They did offer it for free, 2 days ago with another customer rep, wife suggested i just keep calling until i got one who did! But I've been with them before and will probably be again, they just need to come up with something that works better in a remote location around your house wirelessly...I can't be the only feller who wants TV/internet in my shop....and I still have it....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts