Quote From Charlie on MPEG4 Upgrading For Existing Customers

CJPC said:
See my issue is, my 811 is on lease, you would think that it would be swapped out w/o issue or commitment, namely its there box, im just wondering when to call them, been holding off calling em about this box for 2 months, its all screwey etc, wondering if they will replace w/ a 211 or not!
Wait until after 1FEB. The word is that only MPEG-4 receivers can be activated for HD at that time.

Anybody know if the DNS facilities are going to be getting 622's in their warehouses so we don't have to deal with the call center sending units ups and then going out there anyway to hook up? DNS doesn't get supplied with 942s. I'm hoping they'll get supplied 622s. I never understood this because if a bad apple showed up then you have to wait for another shipment to the customers house, which stuff like this shouldn't surprise me anymore. Being the ugly step-child of the company DNS is a bad operation anyway.

Last edited:
mdonnelly said:
Wait until after 1FEB. The word is that only MPEG-4 receivers can be activated for HD at that time.

That means that if you want the "new hd package" you would need a mpeg4 reciever. I have two 942's, and two 811's plus a 721. The only new channel I'm mildly interested in is ESPN2, so I think I'll just keep what I have until the upgrade/change offer is free. I don't watch everything on the current hd pak so clamoring for some more channels most don't want doesn't make sense. Also people saying "I'll pay $100 to upgrade, and others saying "me too, me too" gives E their starting price.

rthomp03 said:
The new dish is related to the announcements. The new HD is all on 129, although I thought they would be smart and put ESPN2-HD on 110 along with all the other HD except VOOM. Those of us with only a Dish 500 need another dish!

Yes, but we knew that months ago. There was some speculation that there might be 2 more HD channels going to 110, but no one ever promised anything.

The 5 Channel HD pack will stick around a while, and will stay on 110 in MPEG-2. (No, I don't have any sources on that but it's pretty obvious.)

If you want these new packages, you will need a dish at 129 or 61.5. It's no different than when AT180 was introduced and not everyone had a DISH500. If you want the new package, you'll have to upgrade, but no one's forcing you.

Note that a lot of the HD locals WILL be at 110. So someone could still get the 5 channel HD pack and HD locals with a DISH 500 (but a new receiver)

So to sum up, if DISH wanted to please everyone, they should put ALL channels, HD, SD, LIL, ect on the 119 satellite location, and in MPEG-2, and in full resolution. But since they didn't, they must be stupid, or hate their customers...

...or maybe it's because they live in the real world.

As much as I don't give a crap about Lifetime or OLN...THAT is a much bigger issue, because it is a downgrade in service. These HD announcements do NOTHING to downgrade anyone's service. They just offer us an option to upgrade.

The good news...as I've said in a dozen other posts...is that DISH has an ulterior motive. They want to move to MPEG-4 as quickly as possible. Otherwise, there would be no reason to offer us anything.

I have a feeling I will be happy on Monday night. And most of you won't.

Big_Ed said:
I want it RIGHT NOW, I want it FREE, I won't accept HD-LITE, where are Cinemax HD and Starz HD, and oh yeah, those better be FREE too...you see, I was an early adopter, I spent all this money, blah blah blah.
Keep in mind that if E* isn't profitable, we'll all get to switch.

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
:welcome to another sensible person!

drdr said:
There certainly isn't room on 110 or 119 to start retransmitting HD locals in MPEG2, MPEG4, or any other existing compression scheme. You will need a dish 1000 or an extra dish at 61.5, 148, or somewhere else to get HD locals.

No, many, possibly all, will come from 110 when Echostar X gets up. There's more than enough room for 48 markets X 6 or 7 HD locals.

Rainbow 1 has a ton of spotbeams too at 61.5. But they will probably hang onto those for future use, maybe doing smaller east coast markets. (That's just speculation though...Echostar X is fact.)

In any case, there won't be HD locals from 129 except a few markets intended for "distants". They don't have any spotbeam birds that will work at 129.

Well I am A DHP customer and do not pay for service calls:)

Do I get a free upgrad:)

just kidding

Yeah I've got a 2nd gen DHP plan so a Service call for me costs $29.99 so I guess I can call up and have someone come out and switch my 811 for a 211 ;)

What about those with two or more HD receivers? Is there going to be a charge based upon per account or per receiver?

Why do I get a feeling this is a bunch of crock... Probably the cost of a service call, that leaves many doors open. And I do not see them allowing this w/o some sort of big commitment to programming...i.e. AT120/180 w/ HD Pak for ohhhh 18-24 months?

I can't see dish sending out installers for $99 to bring a new receiver and hook it up for you. And beleive me most people can not hook it up on their own which would cause a nightmare to the CSRs.

Remember when they had a promotion for a DVR upgrade requiring a professional to come in to do the swapout for a fee?

Hey, I submit that everyone is worried about nothing.

I'm sure that my 622 replacement unit for my 942 is already in the mail with a postage prepaid return box. And, that Angelina Jolie will show up to help me insert my cabling properly.

Oh, sorry, I must be coming down with bird flu induced dementia. Forgive me, Brad.

I wish Angelina would show up and help me insert something else properly
pimp.gif

-Gary

Hello I Got My 411/211 Come This Week It Cost Me $50.00 For It Is A Lease Cust I Called Them Many Times They Got Me To Adv Cust Support That How Got My 411 Or 211 Come This Week

eddie2 said:
Hello I Got My 411/211 Come This Week It Cost Me $50.00 For It Is A Lease Cust I Called Them Many Times They Got Me To Adv Cust Support That How Got My 411 Or 211 Come This Week

Eddie - big guy,

Do you have your 411 now or is it coming this week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts