Quote From Charlie on MPEG4 Upgrading For Existing Customers

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
Company officials also emphasized the importance of making the technological transition to MPEG 4 to maximize current bandwidth, expand the HD market and make the addition of the new HD networks a successful one. Ergen said that DISH network would make it "very attractive" for current customers with MPEG 2 set-top boxes to upgrade to one with MPEG 4. "Probably the cost of a service call," he said.
http://www.skyreport.com/?HDPictures.com

Well sounds like it's going to happen so I guess they will be swaping folks out with 411's and Dish 1000's. How much do service call's run these days??

Last edited:
Yeah that would not bad so we will see if someone calls in on the next chat. Heck I will try to get in on the next chat to ask some questions about all of this.

frustrated

Now what are they going to do with all the people that have 811's are we all going to have to fork out 600 bucks and are we all going to have to get another dish installed? If this is the case I will go back to cable. Hell there rates keep going up but you don't have to purchase all this extra dam equimpment. Its acually cheaper to have cable.

Send me the new receiver and I'll ship the old one back. I'm not into paying for a service call when one isn't warranted.

This is horsecrap, I am a customer of almost ten years, and I pay a lot of money on a monthly basis, (AEP, HD+Voom, RAI International), I have four receivers in my hous three of which are HD (6000 owned; 942 leased; 811 leased; 301 owned). If I am not getting the upgrade for free I am jumping ship. I am sorry but since '97 *E costed me a lot of money.

Well that's good info but still not even close to the whole story we're really waiting to hear...

1) Will existing subs be able to pay the "cost of a service call" and get a VIP622 IN TIME for the launch of new MPEG4 programming?

I want to start watching new HD channels - especially HD locals - as soon as any other Dish customer can. I DON'T want to miss out on 'xx' months of HD programming just because I'm not a new sub.

2) If #1 above is addressed correctly, WHEN will the new HD channels REALLY come on line? Can we really trust that right on Feb. 1st new MPEG4 HD channels will be on our screens?

I don't think I'm owed anything for free, but I did pay Dish Network the full asking price for my 942 (6 months ago) plus an additional dish for Voom totaling $1,000.00. Not to mention the $100+ a month I send them... For that I think I'm entitled to having Dish keep any promises made (i.e. Feb 1st MPEG4 release date) plus be given the opportunity to upgrade my equipment - in time - and at a fair price.

I know I'm just repeating what's already been said over and over recently on these boards, but I'll say it a million times if Dish is watching and it does any shred of good.

I was one of the excited "early adopters" who had shelled out $1,000 for a 921 (months before they reduced the price). I own the 921 (which has never, per their original product description) been "fully functional" and has been far from bug free.

I also own an 811, which I am reasonably pleased with.

My biggest hurdle will be the WAF. She's not at all pleased with the 921 and will be the biggest thing standing in the way of my plan to upgrade to both receivers to 2 622s.

Monday's announcement best be "nearly free" or I'll be joining the many others who are looking at D* or returning to Charter Cable.

I just don't wany anything longer than a 1 year commitment.

Plus I don't like the idea of swapping out my 921, I'd rather sell it on eBay.

I'd like to hear from the installer front as to what they're hearing about unit availability, and relating it to feb. 1st...Will they come in early, doesn't look good, etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)